Blog Stats
426Total Entries
219Total Comments
Search Blogs

Advanced search (keyword or author)
Random Blog Entries
Rue McClanahan Cat Party by Sisyphus on February 2nd, 2010, 11:11 pm
0 Comments Viewed 2144 times

Actuality by lisa7quantum on May 15th, 2009, 12:56 am
In the Mindset of Actuality

Reality asks the question what is real, could we consider what is actual. I mean the things that bring truth to the personal existence we have individually, our body and our thoughts as one. As quantum mechanics suggests the mechanistic view on a subatomic level. We have the idea in the Western world that we are subservient to a god of all creation or are we the masters of our own fate. Then again are we just apart of the whole? We cannot accept that suffering is something malleable outside of ourselves. We can handle self deprivation or even the doubt or question of reality. And maybe willingly allow these things to happen to ourselves. But, let’s bring up the argument of the Holocaust, the torture and murder of 6 million. One can imagine the suffering on a personal level as to see the ties or attachments we have to nourishment and comfort, perhaps everything we experience would question our limits of tolerance or strength. We can choose to let go o...

0 Comments Viewed 270 times

Designer Babies by RedRachel on April 22nd, 2014, 11:13 am
Scientific Question:
Could PGD be used to choose the sex of a baby?

A designer baby is a baby whose genetic makeup has been selected in order to eradicate a particular defect, or to ensure that a particular gene is present. In a way parents have the chance to play God by choosing what characteristics they want in their child. With the way the world is and technology advancing so much we will soon be able to choose they eye or hair color. PGD can be used to look at the sex of an embryo. The first PGD treatment was used to treat a sex-linked disease, Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Only male babies can inherit this disease, so PGD was used to select female embryos which will not have the disease. Michael Sandel’s article, Designer Babies: The Problem with Genetic Engineering explains the growing debate on genetic engineering and if there should be limits to it what changes a parent can and can’t make to their child. Humans are born with a competitive nature to be able to do better tha...

0 Comments Viewed 96 times

Genetically modified babies/ Designer babies by millerj7 on April 22nd, 2014, 10:50 am
Should people be allowed to genetically modify their baby to prevent mitochondrial diseases?

“1,000 to 4,000 children born in the United States each year will develop a mitochondrial disease.”1(pA25) “What is a mitochondrial disease?” someone may ask. It is when a disease enters the mitochondria, preventing it to convert food to energy, resulting in genetic abnormalities. These genetic abnormalities have a massive range of side effects that could happen to a child who is born with a mitochondrial disease, for example: leading to impaired vision, deafness, having autism, or even in severe cases it can lead to death. Scientists have reached a breakthrough where they now have the technologies to genetically modify babies that have mitochondrial diseases and remove the disease.
Every single cell in the human body contains a nucleus and inside the nucleus is where 98 percent of the DNA is held. The other 2 percent of DNA is held in the mitochondria.The mothers’ nucleus containin...

0 Comments Viewed 103 times

The Known Universe by AMNH by Sisyphus on February 27th, 2010, 12:48 pm
1 Comment Viewed 3016 times

Who is online

Registered users currently online: BadgerJelly, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], jocular, socrat44, Yahoo [Bot]