Is there a science to happiness?

Discussions on the philosophical foundations, assumptions, and implications of science, including the natural sciences.

Is there a science to happiness?

Postby Revolutionary on February 4th, 2017, 5:45 pm 

We never seem to learn about how we can stay happy when we grow up in the schools. Should there be classes on figuring out what makes you happy? Also when you figure that out how to live your adult life in a way that you can for the most part remain happy?
Revolutionary

Re: Is there a science to happiness?

Postby zetreque on February 4th, 2017, 9:14 pm 

I've attended a couple free lectures at the local college about gratitude. A couple of people have broken that down trying to incorporate that into the science of happiness.

Part of that is positive thinking. Being able to see the positive in any situation.
Training people in the field of happiness through school would probably greatly improve where our world is headed.

For example. Right now I am forced to take a class about apocalypses and why people are apocalyptic about everything. Some argue that our world is headed down the toilet because people work toward an apocalyptic ending rather than being optimistic about a never ending future.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)
Revolutionary liked this post

Postby Revolutionary on February 4th, 2017, 10:04 pm 

Thanks for the response. It seemed to me growing up that school (near 5th grade and after) seemed like a prison. I was told in school that life was about things getting harder and more complicated as I grew up. To top going to a school I hated and teachers acting like fascists my parents were divorced. A double whammy basically.

I found it shocking how all the things I was learning I couldn't really apply to my life. It made me quite frustrated. I was always told in school that it was all for a "job" if I didn't have all this knowledge I'd end up with no job or a crappy job.

When I graduated I felt betrayed because I was in Community College looking for a job but, it turned out that having a job didn't mean you had to have good grades (which I did graduate with good grades in High School) it was just a numbers game. I finally got my AA degree in Broadcasting but, ended up with a job at McDonalds which I could've gotten if I dropped out of middle school. I finally went to University and ended up working another slightly higher paying job.

I kept thinking to myself of how dumb the older generation had to be (including our institutions of education and government) for not talking more about how to manage your money and get a job that you're happy with and you like. 95% of the things I learnt in my education career had nothing to do with growing up or working what so ever. I kept thinking to myself exactly just how stupid are older people to make younger people go through this. That's why I started this thread. I'm glad you replied.
Revolutionary

Postby zetreque on February 4th, 2017, 10:11 pm 

There are several things that they should be teaching in grade schools but aren't.
There are a couple other threads on here exploring these concepts.

Going to school seems like nothing more than proving that you have the ability to learn and stick with something because you use so little in the real world of what you learn in school.

There is a growing movement for minimalism. People are discovering that happiness for them has a lot to do with having less material possessions. It's more environmentally friendly, less impact, more time for socializing with friends, traveling, and when you don't spend money on material things, you have more money to spend seeking happiness.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 4th, 2017, 10:16 pm 

Also since you don't mind since you were a former moderator I have a site called Revolutionary Thinking where I go into depth about all this stuff. I want to ask you if I could share it with the people here or PM you. If not that's OK too but, since this is about philosophy my blog is about philosophy as well.
Revolutionary

Postby zetreque on February 4th, 2017, 10:20 pm 

Revolutionary » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:16 pm wrote:Also since you don't mind since you were a former moderator I have a site called Revolutionary Thinking where I go into depth about all this stuff. I want to ask you if I could share it with the people here or PM you. If not that's OK too but, since this is about philosophy my blog is about philosophy as well.

Your profile is a great place to put your website link. Then you can just refer people to your profile. Otherwise you can reference it if it's directly relevant to conversation.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 4th, 2017, 10:31 pm 

Thank you. Anyway this is a blog post where I talk about what should be done with our school system. http://bakshandehariel.wixsite.com/webs ... -Solutions
Revolutionary

Postby Serpent on February 4th, 2017, 11:40 pm 

It may not be an exact science, but the basic ingredients of human happiness are both identifiable and quantifiable. The Epicureans were not far off: learn about reality, live modestly, have good friends. The Taino culture also had a pretty fair idea.
Have you seen this http://movieweb.com/movie/happy/ movie?

Schools and student experiences vary considerably. Some children are happy in school - and it does a lot more than prepare you to be a drone in a factory. How do you know, at age 6, what the skills required for a job you enjoy at 20 are going to be? How do you know what you're going to be any good at, if you don't get the chance to learn a variety of subjects? For quite a lot of skills, starting at 20 is too late to form the neural connections or physical dexterity. Besides, sooner or later, you'll have to go out and co-operate with other people: might as well learn the basics while you're still adaptable.
Serpent
Resident Member

Eclogite liked this post

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 12:25 am 

Very nice. My point is though why is it that there is no mass protests against our dumb one sided education system that says unhappiness and boredom are the norm and to "just get used to it." In my personally opinion you are much less happy when you're stressed or depressed. School gave me stress by giving me so much work I had to worry about getting good grades in. Then when I busted my behind to get those grades and did well in school I became depressed because the jobs (that the hypocrites promised me) were no where to be found. After that I was unhappy because it felt I had no purpose in life and I was wasting away bored at home. We need to build a bridge between the education and working world.
Revolutionary

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 12:28 am 

And Serpent this is my personal experience with the education system. http://bakshandehariel.wixsite.com/webs ... gh-My-Past
Revolutionary

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 1:33 am 

I think one of the biggest criticisms of education is not preparing people for the real world by teaching them about debt, credit, finances, and taxes.

Of course, if they taught people about how to manage that stuff, it might jeopardize their comfy riches in this capitalism pyramid scheme nightmare we live in. People might get a clue faster about the inequalities.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 1:38 am 

It's like we spend so much time in our lives going to school learning decent things like Math, Science, English, Art, Social Studies.

They teach us nothing about money.

Then we go to college to learn business (an extremely popular degree) where we have to learn how to chase the dollar to survive.

And while they teach us Business. We learn nothing of business ethics or environmental economics. The very things that protect our happiness and quality of life. Those things that mattered back in grade school.

meanwhile all the non-business majors suffer because they were never taught finances.

And then our teachers suffer (how many of you have heard more times than you can count a teacher complaining about how much money they make?) and when our teachers suffer, our education suffers.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 1:43 am 

Well that's the reason I started this thread to get more people talking about things like this. I never hear topics like this being discussed on the news. Only stupid garbage about celebrities and politicians that hardly affects our lives.
Revolutionary

zetreque liked this post

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 1:48 am 

Revolutionary,

Speaking of garbage celebrities and politicians that now affect our lives in horrendous ways.

You should contact your senators. like NOW.
Look them up. Go to their website. Click "Contact"
and write them.

You need to do it now because they are voting on the nomination for education secretary right now who is one of the worst candidates possible.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Braininvat liked this post

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 1:58 am 

That just scratches the surface I need to find a way to get them to pay attention to the blog posts I write.
Revolutionary

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 2:13 am 

Money is the problem in our capitalism society when it comes to happiness and education (among many other things).

It's a positive feedback where the business world makes more money and power to teach more business.

While all the other subjects that bring us happiness are left behind.

And it's the lie they sell that money brings us happiness to buy and be consumers of things we don't even need.
We have the term "starving artist." Art, video games, and a million other things that make us happy are left behind while we suffer working a job we don't like just to make money competing in capitalism.

Revolutionary: Write them! Sent them a link to your blog posts. Send a letter and include a link to your blog posts. Anything, just reach out and share your voice. It's really important!

Things aren't going to get any better unless we suffer through getting involved in politics and the law.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 2:31 am 

Right but, you and I seem to be the only ones that are paying attention. I wrote to Politicians before but, all I got was a dumb auto-response. I'm just one guy I need more people behind me. That's why I'm joining more forums and threads to get the word out there and why I created a YouTube page.
Revolutionary

zetreque liked this post

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 2:35 am 

Just gotta keep at it. The movements are growing. Change must happen from the bottom up because it's certainly not going to happen from the top down. The top is already comfy. It's the bottom that is suffering and needs to learn to not be oppressed and act.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on February 5th, 2017, 12:16 pm 

Rev, it's good to be concerned about who is paying attention. You may find some interesting threads from our many members who are paying attention, in the Political Theory forum here. Many informative links and discussions going on there. Also check out the News forum.

In addition to writing your Congressional delegation (which I did, a couple days ago, regarding the Betty DeVos horror appointment), there is also the tremendous value of getting involved in local/state politics, where a group of people can often make more of a difference. Go to city council and schoolboard meetings, make your voice heard on issues you care about. Contact state legislators, too. These people are much closer to their constituents than politicians at the national level, and are making decisions that may more directly affect you.
Braininvat
Resident Member

zetrequeRevolutionary liked this post

Postby Serpent on February 5th, 2017, 12:20 pm 

By and large, professional politicians care about Big Issues: crime, taxes, immigration, industry. They don't give a sff about education and welfare, because those issue don't fund election campaigns of get people riled up enough to follow some half-assed slogan.

I do find it odd that the public school system does not offer courses in family dynamics, personal finance and civics - but these courses may have been defunded by the wisdom of the Corporate Deity, along with other friviolous (non-cog-producing) subjects like art, hygiene and music.

If you seriously want to reform education to be more relevant to the graduates' daily life, get involved at the community level, in your own neighbourhood school. Also, it's a good idea to listen to the teachers and the children, even sit in on classes, to get a notion of the local frustration level.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 1:38 pm 

Brainivat and Serpent thanks for the feedback. The problem is that I really want to make youth advocacy into some kind of career for myself. Do you guys think if I got involved I could get some type of recognition. Right now I am working on my websites. I was employed by a warehouse but, when the job became so mind numbingly boring I decided to quit. As much as I am invest in this cause I also want to see ROI. Do you guys have any idea on how I can monetize on this?

Also since you guys seem like you're passionate about this subject too. Can I ask how your education experiences were like and if the education you got for yourselves led directly or indirectly to a job you like or dislike.
Revolutionary

Postby zetreque on February 5th, 2017, 1:43 pm 

Have you looked into starting a non-profit?

Also, I can vouch for getting involved in the community level. The past two years I have been attending town meetings of various sorts. It takes time but you start meeting and getting familiar with contacts and people in power.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 1:58 pm 

Well I wouldn't know how to start a non-profit I'd probably need someone to guide me. I'd love to get started at the community level but, in a place like Los Angeles this city is so big and such a mess I don't really know where town hall meetings are being held in the city. We aren't like small or medium sized cities. We're a gigantic city with a huge bureaucracy but, I'll look into where topics like this are being spoken about.
Revolutionary

Postby Serpent on February 5th, 2017, 4:54 pm 

Revolutionary » February 5th, 2017, 12:58 pm wrote:Well I wouldn't know how to start a non-profit I'd probably need someone to guide me. I'd love to get started at the community level but, in a place like Los Angeles this city is so big and such a mess I don't really know where town hall meetings are being held in the city. We aren't like small or medium sized cities. We're a gigantic city with a huge bureaucracy but, I'll look into where topics like this are being spoken about.

When I stayed in LA for a while, I saw all kinds of viable neighbourhoods. Don't know whether they're called boroughs there, but you can easily find out where the administrative center of each section is. There was often a local newspaper and various citizen's groups, and not only the prosperous communities, but in quite modest ones. Obviously, i would look around wherever i was living.

Don't know about monetizing civic concern, though. Lots of volunteers doing interesting and important activities, but they have very little financial backing.
If you had a degree in education or social work, that's a different story.... chances are, you'd get laid off in the next round of austerity.
You might contact Athena regarding activism in education reform.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Revolutionary on February 5th, 2017, 5:19 pm 

Who's Athena?
Revolutionary

Postby mitchellmckain on February 10th, 2017, 1:50 am 

Revolutionary » February 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm wrote:Is there a science to happiness?

No. This is well within the blind spot of science. This is not something that can be independent of the the observer and his beliefs.

Revolutionary » February 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm wrote:Revolutionary » February 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm[/url]"]We never seem to learn about how we can stay happy when we grow up in the schools.

You can only speak for yourself on this. Fact is that many people DO learn this as they they grow up, and they learn it from a vast variety of experiences, only one of which is school.

Revolutionary » February 4th, 2017, 4:45 pm wrote: Should there be classes on figuring out what makes you happy?

Not in public schools, no. The topic is too subjective and a free society cannot support anyone putting themselves in a position of authority on this subject.
mitchellmckain

Postby Revolutionary on February 10th, 2017, 3:26 am 

It's a very subjective topic indeed. So maybe not exactly about happiness but, let's talk about practicality. Why are most things taught in school so theoretical but, not practical. As in learning how to manage and make money. Why is the curriculum one size fits all? Why hasn't anything in the education system changed since the industrial age?
Revolutionary

Postby Eclogite on February 10th, 2017, 5:02 am 

The optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist believes he is correct.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Revolutionary on February 10th, 2017, 11:38 am 

And the revolutionary believes in challenging a corrupt system.
Revolutionary

Postby Eclogite on February 10th, 2017, 2:16 pm 

Revolutionary » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:26 am wrote:Why are most things taught in school so theoretical but, not practical.
Is the art of critical thinking practical, or theoretical? My view is that it is very definitely practical.

How is it relevant to life as an adult? Well it informs just about every decision we have to make. At least it can do, if we choose to make it so.

Earlier you have talked of learning about money matters. Critical thinking can be invaluable in that regard. Buying your first (or 21st) car? Critical thinking. Choosing between university majors? Critical thinking. Four hundred and twenty two further examples available on request.

Is critical thinking taught in schools? I am sure there are some that may have it on the curriculum, but not, I suspect, the majority. Now it may not be called critical thinking, but it is implicitly taught in any science course worthy of the name.

That being the case, why did I acquire critical thinking skills at school and yet many of my peers failed to do so? Was this the fault of the school, or a consequence of the character and circumstances of those other pupils?

What is my point? I agree that the education system in many countries, perhaps all, could be improved, but I don't accept that they are necessarily as faulty as you suggest.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

dandelion liked this post

Next

Return to Philosophy of Science