Chomsky and Evolutionary Theory

Discussions on the philosophical foundations, assumptions, and implications of science, including the natural sciences.

Re: Chomsky and Evolutionary Theory

Postby Lomax on March 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm 

NoShips » March 13th, 2017, 2:21 am wrote:Hey, stop threatening me! Oh, you said "thread". Sorry. So was it the lagomorph with a candlestick in Pre-Cambrian strata or not?

I linked it. I mean, I linked "it". Erm, it's linked to the word "it" in my previous post. Go use your language module (mine is evidently failing me) and have a gander.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:27 pm 

Ok, to be serious.... although we have covered this before. Let the bowdlerizers rest...

On one theory of good scientific practice at least, the desideratum of wholesome science is bold conjectures and severe tests. The rabbit nonsense is not a severe test. I typed this last night, but it seems to have fallen afoul of Mary Whitehouse's scalpel.

"Hey, guess what, honey? We did not unearth a rabbit fossil during all our pre-Cambrian excavations this year. Unbelievable, eh?"

You call that a bold conjecture? My own theory predicts no sulphuric acid will be found in my fridge..

Gasp! Just survived another severe test!
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:29 pm 

Lomax » March 13th, 2017, 10:24 am wrote:
NoShips » March 13th, 2017, 2:21 am wrote:Hey, stop threatening me! Oh, you said "thread". Sorry. So was it the lagomorph with a candlestick in Pre-Cambrian strata or not?

I linked it. I mean, I linked "it". Erm, it's linked to the word "it" in my previous post. Go use your language module (mine is evidently failing me) and have a gander.

Oops, sorry dude. I'm not very computer savvy. Checking now....
NoShips

Postby Lomax on March 12th, 2017, 9:31 pm 

What relevance has boldness? Do Google Mary Whitehouse's birthplace, by the way...
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:32 pm 

Lomax » March 13th, 2017, 10:31 am wrote: Do Google Mary Whitehouse's birthplace, by the way...

Nuneaton? That explains her scrawny cheekbones.
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:35 pm 

Lomax » March 13th, 2017, 10:31 am wrote:What relevance has boldness?

Um, ok, my new theory predicts it will be cold in Alaska today. How's that for good science?
NoShips

Postby Lomax on March 12th, 2017, 9:40 pm 

NoShips » March 13th, 2017, 2:35 am wrote:
Lomax » March 13th, 2017, 10:31 am wrote:What relevance has boldness?

Um, ok, my new theory predicts it will be cold in Alaska today. How's that for good science?

It's a start. Your new theory is now, for practical purposes, falsifiable.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:44 pm 

Getting back to that "it"... Biowizard said:

"1- ET explains why homologous species have high DNA sequence similarity, and why that similarity is inversely proportional to the time since the species last experienced gene flow (interbreeding). 2- ET predicts that as more time passes, DNA similarity between related species decreases, even if they experience phenotypic convergence. 3- These statements are all falsifiable, because you can sample DNA from organisms and sequence it. Which we have done. And the results have falsified the null hypothesis, every time."

Several points to be made here. First is the ambiguity in the term "explanation".

1. Several explanations have been proposed for the Mary Celeste mystery.
2. The procession of the perihelion of Mercury remained an anomaly until Einstein explained it.

See? Which one are we using right now, Bio?

Next, how do we know which features are homologous? DNA evidence? Remember our little chat about circularity? Or is there any independent method of determining which traits are homologous?
NoShips

Postby Lomax on March 12th, 2017, 9:47 pm 

NoShips » March 13th, 2017, 2:44 am wrote:Several points to be made here. First is the ambiguity in the term "explanation".

2. The procession of the perihelion of Mercury remained an anomaly until Einstein explained it.

Obviously Biowizard can speak for himself if he wants to. But humour me: what is the difference between these two types of explanation? Do you mean to say that for (1) we will never know which explanation is correct?
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:50 pm 

Lomax » March 13th, 2017, 10:47 am wrote:
NoShips » March 13th, 2017, 2:44 am wrote:Several points to be made here. First is the ambiguity in the term "explanation".

Obviously Biowizard can speak for himself if he wants to. But humour me: what is the difference between these two types of explanation? Do you mean to say that for (1) we will never know which explanation is correct?

Yes, that's right, Lomax. The examination of "explanation" is one of my areas of *hic* interest. Is there such a thing as a "correct" explanation?

Q: Why do you rob banks?
Ans: Coz that's where the money is duh.
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 9:53 pm 

Why did Socrates die?

Explanation1: all men must die - a pessimist (see also Carl Hempel's covering law model. Tee hee)
Explanation2: he drank hemlock - a chemist
Explanation3: Dust ye are, and unto dust ye shall return - a poet
Explanation4: He corrupted the youth of Athens- the district attorney

Who's right?
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 12th, 2017, 10:04 pm 

You know, I almost get the impression Lomax (aka Cheekbones) is on my side... but far too nice to offend evolutionary biologists.

Leave that to me. Do you cook or write or something?
NoShips

Postby Braininvat on March 13th, 2017, 12:42 am 

NoShips » March 12th, 2017, 6:53 pm wrote:Why did Socrates die?

Explanation1: all men must die - a pessimist (see also Carl Hempel's covering law model. Tee hee)
Explanation2: he drank hemlock - a chemist
Explanation3: Dust ye are, and unto dust ye shall return - a poet
Explanation4: He corrupted the youth of Athens- the district attorney

Who's right?

Fallacy - assuming there can't be multiple domains of explanation. "Why" has multiple meanings. Causality is a web, not a chain. Etc. No one right answer?

George Eliot was also born around Nuneaton. A town known for its convents and cheekbones. And flossing, if I'm not mistaken. Both George and Mary were named Mary.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby NoShips on March 13th, 2017, 12:49 am 

Braininvat » March 13th, 2017, 1:42 pm wrote:
Fallacy - assuming there can't be multiple domains of explanation. "Why" has multiple meanings. Causality is a web, not a chain. Etc. No one right answer?

Well, yes, old ckeekboneless pal, but if this goes on we may enter the Dantean realm of interpretation, and dare I say, hermeneutics. And then where will we be?

I stand by my position: There are two kinds of people in this world: Logical positivists and goddamn English professors
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 13th, 2017, 12:52 am 

Bah bah Braininavat, have you any exegesis?

*tee hee*

Yes, sir, yes sir, three idiographics full :-)

But we all know three means "gimme more, baby"
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 13th, 2017, 12:56 am 

Ok, seriously, Braininavat, when I'm told, as I often am, that ET offers the best explanation (no scare quotes) for um, erm, kinda everything, how am I supposed to understand this?

Q1: What is an explanation?
Q2: Alien nuts have explanations too (not a question, we grant)
Q3: What's better about ET explanations?
Q4: The God shite hypothesis can explain too. My point. No one has answered.
NoShips

Postby NoShips on March 13th, 2017, 1:10 am 

"Although the original post is fairly long..." - Wolf

viewtopic.php?f=83&t=32607&p=318187#p318187
(Post #10)

"Here's impartial:

You are at an online philosophy forum, which has certain rules of discourse. One of them is not to post 6-8 short posts meandering around your lack of sobriety, personal issues, cajolery of others to get a rapid response, off-topic one-liners, etc. You weren't offensive, you were just undermining discourse. Posts removed. Get over it. " -PutnaminaBath

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=32605
(post 9)

sigh

Bartender!!

Hey Procrustes! You look hot. Mind if I sleep with you?
NoShips

Previous

Return to Philosophy of Science