Absences

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Absences

Postby Dave_Oblad on September 28th, 2017, 1:42 pm 

Hi Everyone..

It's little ol me.. finally settled into my new home here in Tucson Arizona. Just got my internet hooked up yesterday and trying to catch up on everything.. emails and such.

OMG.. that move was horrible.. I'm no longer built for that much concentrated physical effort.. and I still have over a dozen boxes left to open and put away.

Anyway, will be dropping in and out over the next few days as I settle in.. Glad to be back here.

And Retired to BOOT! (Yea!!!!!)

Best wishes all,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby SciameriKen on September 28th, 2017, 4:55 pm 

Congrats Dave! What's the plan now that you have ultimate freedom!
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Re: A Lotto Time?

Postby Faradave on September 28th, 2017, 8:23 pm 

Great news Dave_O!

I don't want to rain on your parade but as many retirees will relate, what initially seems like winning the lottery in terms of new-found spare time, will disappear even more rapidly than the monetary variety. Don't ask us where it goes, but in about two months you may find yourself totally perplexed as to how you ever managed to scrape an 8 hour workday together, not to mention the commute, overtime, etc.

My best guess at this point is that there is a kind of reverse time dilation associated with the act of putting on socks. I figure about 20 minutes passes for each foot. Go sockless, you've still got the climate for it.

And learn avoid the bathroom as much as possible! Bathroom doors are wormholes that can transport you hours to days into the future. You go in, first thing in the morning, do your business and when you come out, somehow it's time for lunch! (Check the calendar, it might already be tomorrow!!) There's a reason so many older folk obsess about their bowel habits and I suspect this is a big one. This might also relate to # of flushes. I'm trying to work out the exact equation, but my wife keeps ruining my "experiments". By the way, reading material of any sort in the vicinity seems to magnify wormhole intensity. Be warned!

Best Wishes,

FD
Faradave

Postby Braininvat on September 29th, 2017, 10:31 am 

Dave, while I think Faradave's wormhole theory has merit, I can recommend a few measures that really heighten the enjoyment of idleness and add precious hours to your day

-- don't ever shave. As we age, our faces become more uneven, the surface more like a lunar landscape and less like a baby's bottom, and so the mowing takes longer and is less effective.

-- always wear pyjamas. They are "street legal" and much more comfortable than typical Western habillements

-- dishes do not require soap - a total myth, promulgated by sinister forces of mass marketing. Hold them under a jet of hot water for a few seconds, drop them in the drainer, then reuse. NEVER put a dish back in the cupboard - I mean, what's the point? It's like Faradave's sock thing - you start putting dishes away, next thing you know it's bedtime.

-- eat more vegetables (see FD's remarks on bathroom visit duration). The shuttle will clear the shuttle bay doors much more expeditiously. Also, eating more vegetables makes your lifespan seem even longer! It's really amazing.

Good luck and mazeltov!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 12th, 2017, 2:53 pm 

Just a quick FYI, everybody: I am now a regular member, not an admin. A mix of things - time constraints, a bit of burnout, and just wanting to join discussions without having to moderate or strive for objectivity. Cheers.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 12th, 2017, 3:01 pm 

Braininvat » 12 Oct 2017 01:53 pm wrote:without having to ... strive for objectivity.

Sounds nice. Can I join you? :)
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on October 12th, 2017, 9:10 pm 

LOL! Yes, let anarchy reign!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on October 13th, 2017, 5:06 pm 

Hi all,

Just a quick drop by to see what's happening. After two intense weeks of putting my new house in order, I've decided to just relax.. zero stress.. no conflicts.. no debates.. just glide.

Even former vacations where stressful.. knowing the stack of work that accumulated and awaited my eventual return. Ha! I haven't felt this relaxed in ages..

Back as soon as I start getting bored..

P.s. Biv and Bio.. I get that!

Best wishes all,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BioWizard on October 18th, 2017, 10:46 am 

Unfortunately, unlike Biv, I don't have much of a choice here (being a biological father). I'd consider adoption but the paperwork is insane!

Always good to hear from your Dave :) Glad you're doing well and hope to see more of you again when you get settled.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Previous

Return to Lounge Area