Bruno Ganz - "Hitler Rant" Actor Dies

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Bruno Ganz - "Hitler Rant" Actor Dies

Postby toucana on February 16th, 2019, 2:02 pm 

Ganz.jpg

Bruno Ganz, who was most famous for playing Adolf Hitler in the Oscar-nominated film Downfall (Der Untergang), has died aged 77.

https://news.sky.com/story/hitler-actor-bruno-ganz-who-went-viral-in-memes-dies-11639329

The Swiss star had cancer and died at his home in the Swiss city of Zurich.

Ganz portrayed Hitler as a ranting and delusional madman in a bunker during the final days of his life.

One particular scene in the 2004 movie featured a furious fuhrer responding to news of General Steiner’s failed counter-attack which spawned many parody memes online.

The memes included Hitler being told his pizza would arrive late, finding out the UK would leave the EU, and discovering there was no toilet paper.

The actor immersed himself in the Nazi dictator role to such a degree that it affected his personality.

He said: "I tend to identify with my roles to such an extent that I appear to be totally convinced about certain statements that, in real life, I would never believe in."

For more than 50 years, Ganz worked in German language theatre, film and television.

He was described by German foreign minister Heiko Maas as "one of the most important actors of our time", whose "brilliant work remains".

He was the holder of the Iffland-Ring, the most important award for German-speaking actors.

In Hollywood, he featured alongside Liam Neeson in the 2011 movie Unknown, and also appeared in the 2004 blockbuster The Manchurian Candidate, starring Denzel Washington.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Re: Bruno Ganz - "Hitler Rant" Actor Dies

Postby charon on February 16th, 2019, 2:28 pm 

Yes, I saw that. Pity, great actor. Swiss, of course, not German.
charon

Postby toucana on February 16th, 2019, 2:35 pm 

The Swiss star had cancer and died at his home in the Swiss city of Zurich.

I don't think there was any ambiguity about that in the OP.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Postby charon on February 16th, 2019, 9:04 pm 

It's also a pity that he's chiefly remembered for his film role as Hitler when he also did such sterling work onstage in so many classic roles.
charon

Postby bangstrom on February 17th, 2019, 12:47 am 

toucana » February 16th, 2019, 1:02 pm wrote:
The memes included Hitler being told his pizza would arrive late, finding out the UK would leave the EU, and discovering there was no toilet paper.

...and Trump wins the election. There are enough Bruno Ganz memes to make another movie with just the best of the memes.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/sear ... tion=click
bangstrom

Postby toucana on October 8th, 2019, 10:48 am 

An interesting new promotional documentary clip explains the real historical military details, and each of the personalities depicted in the famous 'Hitler Rant' scene.

toucana
Chatroom Operator

Return to Lounge Area