Welcomes & Introductions

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Welcomes & Introductions

Postby BioWizard on May 2nd, 2005, 9:27 am 

Hello and welcome to all members, old and new!

Please feel free to introduce yourself. Tell us about your interests, research work, and domain of specialty.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ken Ramos on July 11th, 2005, 8:31 pm 

Name: Ken Ramos

Greetings to the members and administrative staff of Science Chat Forum :)

I am retired miliatry, U.S. Navy. Completed 21.5yrs. of active service to our country, now working in textiles. Military specialty primary, Air Lauched Guided Missiles and Missile/ Warhead Delivery Systems conventional and otherwise... and secondary specialty, Laser Guided Weaponry, i.e. Laser Guided Bombs.

I have very diverse interests when it comes to the field of Biological Science. I have no formal education in such other than the usual high school education for a man of my age. Returning to school to obtain a degree would be nice but not an option at present time. I study the subjects of Protozoology and Mycology on my own and as an amateur in those studies I also delve into the general study of Nature. As I said my interests are quite diverse and the general study of nature covers those things that are too numerous to mention.

I am also an avid macro photographer and microphotographer and microscopist. I believe that about covers it all.

I have been browsing the forms and noted some very unusaul and intersting conversatoins but as yet nothing that I can offer any tid bits of commentary on, I am sure there may be some in the future. For those of you who have taken the time to read my intro, I thank you for that time and look forward to making your aquantance. :)
Ken Ramos
Forum Neophyte

Postby cheaky monkey on July 18th, 2005, 5:36 pm 

hey

sorry for the late reply.

I am a second year bio sciences student. I major in botany and zoology. I am interested in: Botany, geology, palaeontology, zoology, history of science , herpatology, astronomy and some popular astrophysics. Yeah thats all i can think of.
cheaky monkey

Postby lucretiaX on July 18th, 2005, 6:53 pm 

I guess it's never too late for an intro.

I have my undergraduate degree in medical emphasis Kinesiology and Biomechanics, with a minor in Gerontology. I also have about half a degree worth of Philosophy that I should someday finish. My masters degree is in Orthotics. And I should be returning for the other half in Prosthetics shortly. I've worked for several years in orthotics and prosthetics, and in various settings.

I've been involved in several different research projects ranging from literature reviews to actual gait lab analysis. My only one woman project was a review on the importance of torque in cervical halo pins relating to wound dressing friction.

My interests in science are vast. Robotics, AI, quantum physics, mathematics theory, various neurosciences, genetics, biology, human sexuality, programming, open source, electronics, etc. (the list could go on for some time)

And of course, I was one of those geeky kids in Science Olympiad in high school. But don't let that fool you, I'm also an ice hockey enforcer! :twisted:
lucretiaX

New to forum

Postby PaleobioYF on October 26th, 2005, 10:51 pm 

Hey everyone,
I am new to these forums. I like you all have a great interest in science. I guess I should say a bit about myself. I am an evolutionary biology student at the University of Toronto with a minor in Geology. My interests are obviously evolution, and any sub field within it. I hope to either become a paleontologist or evolutionary biologist. I hope to have some good discussions with you all. Thanks!
PaleobioYF
Forum Neophyte

Postby cheaky monkey on October 27th, 2005, 4:11 am 

hey, great to see another macro biologiest (heh, most biology people here love molecular and genetics). I love palaeontology too :P.

What field of palaeontology are you interested in?

Oh, welcome to the forums!
cheaky monkey

Postby mabus on October 27th, 2005, 9:38 am 

Hey Paleo, Welcome to the boards. It's great to see another guy interested in evolution. Given the ID trend lately that seems to be a hot button topic pretty much everywhere science is discussed so we'll certainly benefit from your expertise :)
mabus

Postby MoonChild on November 1st, 2005, 2:30 pm 

OH, just found this and it seems appropriate since I'm new :)

I've got a master's degree in Biology (plant ecology) and another in Biostatistics, and have worked for 8 years as statistician and do whatever it takes to get and report on data for a transplant center (liver & kidney, mostly). I'm currently taking the first/overview course for a new program a the university where I work for a PhD in Biological Complexity, which is an offspring of their BioInformatics MS program. I haven't formally applied yet - I'd planned to wait until I'd taken all of the courses that I could as special student since I have 3 kids under 4, but my professor is encouraging me to go ahead and apply and says the 7 year rule wouldn't be strictly enforced.

My interests are pretty broad ranging - ecology, evolutionary biology, complexity, genomics, physics, astronomy, anthropology, archaeology, modeling all of the above, philosopy/metaphysics, logic, etc etc etc :)
MoonChild
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on November 1st, 2005, 7:00 pm 

Hello and welcome to SCF MoonChild. Looking forward to some juicey discussions with you.

Regards,
Bio
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby PaleobioYF on November 1st, 2005, 9:35 pm 

Thanks for the warm welcome. :)
PaleobioYF
Forum Neophyte

Postby MoonChild on November 2nd, 2005, 11:28 am 

Am enjoying myself here- probably more than my employer appreciates ;)
MoonChild
Forum Neophyte

Hello Science Forum !

Postby ArghMonkey on November 24th, 2005, 8:55 pm 

Hi there everyone,

I wanted to introduce myself, I am one of the moderators in politics, philosophy and on the internet section.

I am an open book and looking forward to lots of great conversation with everyone here.

P.S. the forum looks great BioWizard ! :)
Last edited by ArghMonkey on November 24th, 2005, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ArghMonkey

New member looking for those of like mind.

Postby Raptor on December 19th, 2005, 4:07 pm 

Hello to all,

My name is Don a/k/a "Raptor." I am a 40-year-old student of trivia and the sciences. I have no formal training in the sciences beyond first year college, but started my studies at the age of 7 and have continued to this day. Now, however, I am using my accumulated knowledge of Astronomy, Geography, and Physical Science in the pursuit of making a living playing in trivia tournaments. I chose this course after permanent head and spinal injuries, but my mind remains intact and very strong. I am an intellectual who wishes to use what I have to make a career rather than act like a "know it all." Indeed, I am not. I have learned a great deal in the company of those who are greater than I.

I seek to talk to and meet others who are of like mind; other scientists and intellectuals, preferably geniuses, who want to share their knowledge with others and learn from others as well. I am grateful for the opportunity to be on this site and look forward to talking to and meeting others.

Don a/k/a "Raptor"
Raptor
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on December 19th, 2005, 6:18 pm 

Hello Raptor and welcome to SCF. I hope you enjoy your stay with us :)
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Ichibukai on April 8th, 2006, 12:16 am 

Hi!! am a 1st year undergraduate currently studying in a university in Singapore, an am interested in physics, mathematics, religions, philosophy, technologies, computers, codes , music, puzzles and games =)
my major is electrical engineering, and I'm a Christian :)
often indulge myself in browsing e forums, hehe..learnt quite a lot, what a great forum!
Ichibukai

Postby BioWizard on April 14th, 2006, 1:22 am 

That's quite a diverse set of interests. :)

Welcome!
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby idling... on July 5th, 2006, 6:15 am 

Hey everyone.
I just joined today, and have decided to introduce myself.
I'm a high school student, so willing to learn anything you're prepared to give out. ^^
I do chemistry, physics and mathematics, and am interested in persuing a career in a scientific direction - especially aerospace technology and engineering.
Other interests include gaming, piano and soccer.
Look forward to meeting you. :)
idling...
Forum Neophyte

INTRODUCTION

Postby rasmi on July 5th, 2006, 7:09 am 

NAMASKAR ,

I am a student of IT (continuing in final year) in INDIA . I have interest in philosophy,
history , culture and theology. ihave found intersting notes on this site .somethings are vey annoying to my study level .i invite everybody to talk with me.
rasmi
Forum Neophyte

Welcome Idling and Rasmi !!

Postby Cyndi Loo on July 6th, 2006, 6:43 am 

Hi Idling and Rasmi! Welcome to SCF!
Cyndi Loo

Postby QuantumShift on July 11th, 2006, 12:24 am 

Welcome :)
QuantumShift

Postby DaBOB on July 20th, 2006, 6:19 pm 

Howdy.

Some of you may know me. I know I have seen Silkworm before.

I started at the other science forum. :)

Oh ya, you can call me Bob.
DaBOB
Forum Neophyte

Postby Silkworm on July 20th, 2006, 6:31 pm 

Hey Bob! Welcome to the forum.
Silkworm

Introductions

Postby EyesOnly on July 25th, 2006, 1:43 pm 

Now that I have my first little blip and have made a committment to this forum to some degree, I think I'll introduce myself.

My name is of no importance, unless you are in the few threads that I am in. With Pesla using my name for things, lol. I'm a college student, at UWEC, and am a Novelist. I'll be sophmore (second year) college student this year. You can call me any number of things, EyesOnly, X, Krist, Kames, Gaara, Akiharu, or Smartass. (Please reserve the last one for only special occasions, thanks).

Well there you go...oh and Happy Birthday to me, (August First that is), I'll be 20.
EyesOnly

Postby athomann on July 25th, 2006, 5:57 pm 

I am glad for you to join, as I am also new here. I think you will enjoy the people here, they all seem to be pretty open minded.

Adam.
athomann
Forum Neophyte

So this is where you introduce yourself?

Postby LemmingLad on July 29th, 2006, 10:19 pm 

Hi,

I'm LemmingLad, or Darwinlemmings. I used to be Darwinlemmings. But then my account was deleted becuse I spammed.
I like physics... quantum physics. Metaphysics too.

thank you
LemmingLad
Forum Neophyte

Postby EyesOnly on August 1st, 2006, 5:56 pm 

They should really have a subforum for introductions. Nice to meet yall, I'm very much in to physics, metaphysics, astrophysics, quantumphysics, philosophy, and pretty much anything I can learn. I specialize in linguistics and symbols, and am a writer (novelist as it were).
EyesOnly

Postby In My Memory on August 19th, 2006, 10:37 pm 

Hello! :)

I am In My Memory. You might remember me from the other science board.
IRL, I'm a technical analyst for a living (i.e. stock investor / broker), I have an unhealthy fascination with being feminine and adorable, and people know me best for my diet. Mostly, I dont have a lot to say about science, but I like philosophy, bioethics in particular :)
In My Memory
Forum Neophyte

Postby Silkworm on August 19th, 2006, 10:53 pm 

HEY IMM!

This board just got a whole lot more classy.
Silkworm

Hello =)

Postby Cryoprecipitate23 on August 23rd, 2006, 1:18 pm 

Hello everyone. It's a delight to have found this site.

I joined because I just have couple of questions that have been bothering me probably throughout my entire life. My first concern is the idea that all morality is relative to the individual. Is there fundamental good and evil? My second concern has been the idea of free will. Do we really have free will and do we make choices freely or are all events predetermined (meaning is everything in the universe exactly as it should be.) I would love to hear both sides.

Again Thanks to the Creators of this site
Cryoprecipitate23
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on August 23rd, 2006, 1:38 pm 

Hi Cry

Welcome to the forums. We're glad you found us too!

Both really good questions. I would suggest posting your question about morality in the Ethics Forum and the question about Free Will in the Metaphysics or General Forum.

~enjoy
mtbturtle
Banned User

Next

Return to Lounge Area