Welcomes & Introductions

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Postby mtbturtle on October 31st, 2007, 10:18 am 

Hi cetrac and cantskate

Welcome to the forums! I'm looking forward to your posts. I'm just hoping that I can keep the all the new "c" nicks straight :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby AX on November 10th, 2007, 5:51 am 

Hello, everyone!

My name is Alex, and I am from Texas. I am currently pursuing a BS in Computer Science, and I will hopefully be finished by this coming summer. After I move back home from being away for college, I hope to find a nice programming job with NASA, they're practically down the street from me, and the rumor is they're in desperate need of some good scientists of every variety. . . and hopefully after a few years, get my dream job of Computer Science work for the FBI.

Anyone who has an interesting in Computer Science probably spotted my nickname right off. I chose the name of the the accumulator register on the Intel x86 architecture for my nickname. . . . I like it not only because it is a couple of letters short of my name, but I like to try to accumulate whatever knowlege comes my way :D.

I registered hoping to find some place where I can finally find intelligent conversation. . . . I like to try to stay well rounded, keeping my mind in balance with my faith as a Christian, science, and philosophy. . . . Which isn't neccessarily as difficult as it sounds :D.

I look forward to many interesting and intelligent conversations :D!

Alex
AX
Forum Neophyte

Postby cougar on November 17th, 2007, 3:29 am 

Hello, I'm a philosophy major, minor in computer science. I do logic and philosophy of science. In particular, i'm doing some philosophy of biology right now, in causal modeling and population genetics. In general, I do stuff on belief revision, confirmation theory, formal epistemology and methodology/history of Carnap. I like Carnap. Oh, I also dabble in philosophy of mathematics, particularly Hilbert's formalism and people's responses to it.

I was just looking around and found this site. It looked like fun, so hopefully i'll/you/someone will learn something from it.
cougar

Postby galatomic on November 20th, 2007, 2:47 pm 

cougar,

I would like to welcome you and say that I think your posts have made a positive contribution. I like your direct way of getting to the heart of issues and the respect you show people by not talking down to them.

I would be interested what causal modeling you're studying in biology because although I'm mostly interested in philosophy I have my theories that suggest formal modeling in biology shouldn't necessarily relate back to physical entities, i.e. be substrate based.

galatomic
galatomic
Banned User

Postby vikkita on November 22nd, 2007, 11:45 am 

Hi,

My name is Viki. I am a first year University Philosophy student. I am here to practice forming good arguments, to hopefully participate in some intellectual debates and to improve my philosophical understanding...

So nice to meet everybody, these discussions are interesting and I cant wait to get stuck in,

Cheers

V
vikkita
Forum Neophyte

Postby vikkita on November 22nd, 2007, 11:48 am 

Hi!

I changed my name to Viki....so Vikkita is Viki! for confusing people!
vikkita
Forum Neophyte

Introduction

Postby Soup Dragon on November 23rd, 2007, 7:05 pm 

Hi

Just found this site yesterday. Really pleased because none of my friends have the slighted interest in these kind of discussions. I'm British, have a BA in Eng Lit and Philosophy, with interest in a range of subjects including western and eastern philosophy, politics and the future (particularly the impact of science and technology on human behaviour). I am currently working on a project that requires me to improve my knowledge of the ethics of brain science, so hopefully contributors can give a few pointers as well as engaging in debate.

I've called myself Soup Dragon because it was a nickname when I was a teenager. For those that don't know Soup Dragon is a character from a BBC childrens' TV programme from the '60s called 'The Clangers'.

I am looking forward to many useful and interesting discussions.
Soup Dragon
Forum Neophyte

Postby LUIX on December 6th, 2007, 11:17 am 

Hello.

I am a currently finishing my 4/5 years in an italian social sciences highschool. I am interested in sociology, paedagogy and phylosophy. And would like to study sociology after i finish highschool.
My parents worked in Vietnam and Thailand for most of my life where i learnt how to speak english and also where I developed my interest in humanitarian sciences. My dad worked for a ngo that helped hill tribes and farmers in northern Vietnam by introducing biofuel heating/cooking methods and harvesting in ways that would increase production and quality of the product (mostly rice).
LUIX

INTRO(x)

Postby BadBreath on December 8th, 2007, 12:32 pm 

Hi all, I wanted to introduce myself.

As Bad Breath,
I can't fete,
not yet,
but,
over at another thread,
I feel,
like mead,
then,
I find another need,
to read,
something real...

with love and kisses, Sammy.
BadBreath
Banned User

Postby Realistfreak on December 10th, 2007, 11:28 pm 

Hello, I look forward to posting on the philosophy section of this forum. I came to this forum for serious philosophy discussions. I am an atheist, and have a different perspective and way of thinking. Hopefully I will find a place at this forum.
Realistfreak
Forum Neophyte

Postby Aurora on December 14th, 2007, 11:00 am 

hey all this is Aurora I'm really excited about SCF and posting is addictive!

i was introduced to this site by a friend and I joined that moment. I'm not much of an expert on anything; I have scattered information. I'm currently an undergrad student in the tri-state area and I'm a PharmD major . I'm also thinking about minoring in Nutrition or Chemistry.

Reading through the posts I've learned some thing or two. Most of the topics here are mind-blowing indeed!

Well I don't know what else to say but yay! for SCF(:
Aurora
Forum Neophyte

Postby andrewv42 on December 17th, 2007, 11:37 am 

Hey guys,

I just joined, an I'm a student in high school. I'm willing to learn more and discuss several topics in this board. I hope to make some friends and discover more about the ever-expanding scientific world :)
andrewv42
Forum Neophyte

Postby Paralith on January 5th, 2008, 1:14 am 

Hi everybody. I currently frequent two other science forums, but felt the need to find another because - well, I'm a giant dork, and I love this stuff. Most of the time. ;)

I have a BS in Biology, and I'm currently in the process of applying to graduate schools to get a PhD in Primate Behavior. Well, my apps are actually finished, now I'm just planing the waiting game.

I worked in two research labs at my undergrad college, one that studies the phylogenetic relationships of aquatic cone snails, and another that studies the population genetics of two naturally hybridizing species of mesoamerican howler monkeys. I currently work in a biomedical research lab that is attempting to determine the genetic mechanisms of Duchenne's and Fascioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy.

I love evolution and ecology in general, and obviously have a particular affection for behavior, especially of primates. (That includes all of you, people - humans are just monkeys in clothes as far as I'm concerned.) I'm very much looking forward to learning from and discussing with all of you.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BioWizard on January 5th, 2008, 3:12 am 

Welcome to the forums parliath, we can always use another evolutionist. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I can think of several scientists you'll enjoy talking to around here.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Digs on January 19th, 2008, 9:04 pm 

Hi, everybody. My name is Mitch, and I'm 20.

I have no degrees, or qualifications, to speak of. I am a poet and writer, who was born with cerebral palsy. I became sick with dysautonomia during my last year of school. I could not finish.

I am very glad to be here!
Digs
Forum Neophyte

Hi friends,

Postby hariharan on January 28th, 2008, 6:26 am 

This is Hari Haran from Chennai, India. I would like to share my views with the others, I hope this forum may bring the best to me.

Regards,
Hari Haran B
hariharan
Forum Neophyte

Hello all :)

Postby Laurie.Ann on February 2nd, 2008, 9:05 pm 

Just a quick hello from a 46 year old, happy, healthy, regular gal who harbors an interest in Philosophy ... may be that this site proves to be a little over my head, but have enjoyed delving into the minds of your members a tad so far. Looking very forward to making some new acquaintances and possibly opening up some new doors. Thanks for allowing me to enter!

Laurie Ann
Laurie.Ann
Forum Neophyte

Just saying Hello

Postby rednina on February 4th, 2008, 2:51 pm 

Hi, new here.

I joined this fab forum because I am interested in and keen to know more about Philosophy. I had to cancel my ou course (which would have started this week) due to other financial burdens, I would say committments but they are in fact burdens.

I am totally not an academic, but have taken great pleasure in reading what people are debating here. A few topics I have found a little weird!! Many I find very interesting and indeed stimulating, and that's great in itself as I then find myself directing my own thoughts to the question posed. Of course 'some' of the questions are way beyond my thought process and . . . well, I'm not sure that I have the academic tools to understand even what is being stated!! But I do like a challenge : )

Anyway.... hello everyone and I hope you don't mind me joining, in this kind of voyeuristic way, I doubt I will add anything of interest, but having said that I have been known to have my moments!
rednina
Forum Neophyte

welcome

Postby PeSla on February 4th, 2008, 2:54 pm 

Welcome to our forums :-)

I think school should be free, a great investment for society. Also do not underestimate yourself.
PeSla
Banned User

Location: Turtle Island ; Via Lattea citizen (otherwise homeless)

Thank You PeSla

Postby rednina on February 4th, 2008, 6:25 pm 

Thanks for your welcome : )

Unfortunately, if all courses were free there may be quite a few of us who may not, ever, venture into the 'real' life of experiences, preferring to hibernate within walls of knowledge. Hmm! sounds good.

I look forward to watching your mind!
rednina
Forum Neophyte

Postby HamerD on February 4th, 2008, 7:10 pm 

hi rednina! I'm also from england and im pretty sure a few other people are too :). Welcome to the forums and please don't be afraid to post all bar none of your opinions because I'm sure they are worth their intellectual weight in gold when you compare them to some of the random chaff that has been spewed o'er the forums very recently by a couple of unsightly morons :).

in short: hi!
HamerD

hi HamerD

Postby rednina on February 4th, 2008, 7:53 pm 

Hello HamerD...

It's really lovely to have people say hi. Very welcoming thank you.

HamerD wrote: a couple of unsightly morons :)

I believe I may have read some posts from one!!! We know who he is. To me, he came over as someone itching for a fight, antagonistic and very arrogant. I couldn't really continue reading what he was writing it was too angry and evil!! Well. As far as the 'feeling' (not very scientific) I had reading his post goes it felt evil.

I look forward to being so inspired that I forget myself and join in ; )

Rednina
rednina
Forum Neophyte

hiya

Postby rednina on February 5th, 2008, 3:03 pm 

Laurie Ann hi

I too am new to this site. Isn't is great to see what everyone is talking about! I am sure we will bump into each-other in discussions / debates, for me at some way future point.

Any way just wanted to say 'Hi'.

rednina
rednina
Forum Neophyte

Postby rednina on February 6th, 2008, 7:51 pm 

Hi, sorry I should have introduced myself properly earlier but have only just found this thread!!

I am a forty-something mother of 2 boys. The eldest has a PhD and is incredibly smart, biological research. My youngest now 11 years, asks me questions that gets me scratching my head!

A couple of years ago I began an OU course in Social Science and hope to continue..... maybe later in the year. I have a keen interest in everything and this site is like having a lecture hall in my home :) It's wonderful.

I hope to gain and hone skills and hopefully absorb and enjoy the knowledge found here. And of course should my son ask a question I cannot answer and we cannot find it on the web..... I may just ask you.

It's good to be here. Hhm. I feel quite excited, as if the door to a great treasure has opened and I am just about to step in.
rednina
Forum Neophyte

I think I have a lot to learn....

Postby Pip on February 9th, 2008, 10:37 am 

Hey all.

I may be in waaaaay too deep here, but I am hoping I can learn a lot from you guys once I have a good delve around.

I enjoy all, (well most), things 'sciencey' and 'philosophically', and so have a pretty much open mind just ready to be manipulated and to absorb facts!

I am a nurse on a career break and so the Human Body and medicine, in sickness and health, is my real interest, but I am willing to try anything for size as it were...

I look forward to chatting to you at some point.
Pip
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on February 10th, 2008, 11:37 am 

Hello and welcome! If by painting you mean this, then we have lots in common.
The reason I didn't respond earlier is because I didn't see your hello post. We have a hello/introductions thread, and I assume all o'them hellos go there.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby BioWizard on February 10th, 2008, 11:39 am 

Hello nina, and welcome to the forums. You should invite your son over too.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Pip on February 10th, 2008, 12:28 pm 

Hi BioWizard. Thank you for finding my thread.

I apologize for having a moan about being all lonely in my thread...I guess I have just been used to a faster turn over over posts, but most of them are spouting nothing but spam, hence me searching for a new type of forum on a higher intellectual level and stumbling across you guys.

Sadly, while I admire your beautiful artwork, I am afraid my painting and decorating amounts to nothing more than slapping some magnolia and gloss on the walls of some of the less appealing areas of Kent. Still, it's a job, it gets me out of the house, it pays well, and allows me all the hours I need to be a good wife and mummy at the same time!
Pip
Forum Neophyte

Postby Krustychick on February 10th, 2008, 1:23 pm 

hey Bio

beautiful artwork going on there....especially love the paintings where you've used a knife, something I've never dared to try

sadly my last piece of "art" involved a portrait sketch of Jean Luc Picard, whoopsie

do you have recent pics?
Krustychick

Postby rednina on February 10th, 2008, 7:24 pm 

Thank you BioWizard.

I have told my son of this site and I am sure, when he has just one minute to spare himself, he will delve in to see what it's all about. I hope he does, he is a great debater!!
rednina
Forum Neophyte

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area