Welcomes & Introductions

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Hi from Singapore! :)

Postby Sandra_18X on November 2nd, 2006, 7:49 am 

Hi people!
I'm Sandra, from Singapore, and I'm 18 y.o, it's pleasure to join http://www.sciencechatforum.com and have a discussion with your community. I am new english learner. so, please apologize my bad english :)
Sandra_18X
Forum Neophyte

Postby Mad_Michael on November 24th, 2006, 7:40 pm 

Greetings & Salutations to all!

I'm delighted to find this forum. I have strong interests in philosophy, history, politics, law, economics, sociology, anthropology, religion & sexuality.

Born and raised in Toronto, my degrees from UofToronto and McMaster. I'm also dangerously close to turning 40... (making me a very much a gen-x type).

I work entirely outside my fields of academic study as I only took my degrees out of general interest in having a liberal arts education.

And yes, my name is Michael ;)
Mad_Michael
Banned User

Postby Den on November 28th, 2006, 2:54 am 

What a treat to find you!

Now maybe I can finally find someone to talk to about the relativity of truth; the dubious existence of God - and what that bodes in the Hereafter - if. indeed, there is one; whether evil truly exists or is just a chemical imbalance; and all the other things that keep me wondering.

I guess the time difference down here in NZ is going to make immediate communication a little scarce . . . . but I feel like the drought may be over :-)

Peace and goodwill to all.
Den

Postby mtbturtle on November 28th, 2006, 10:55 am 

Den wrote:
I guess the time difference down here in NZ is going to make immediate communication a little scarce . . . . but I feel like the drought may be over :-)

Welcome to the Forums Den!

There are a few regular posters on the forum boards in your part of the world but the pace of the boards is a little slower (less immediate). However if you check out our chat channel, #philosophy, you'll finds lots of people from Australia, New Zealand and others active all day/night long.

enjoy
~mtb
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Mad_Michael on November 28th, 2006, 7:10 pm 

Den wrote:What a treat to find you!

Now maybe I can finally find someone to talk to about the relativity of truth; the dubious existence of God - and what that bodes in the Hereafter - if. indeed, there is one; whether evil truly exists or is just a chemical imbalance; and all the other things that keep me wondering.

I'd be delighted to discuss the relativity of truth. As for the dubious existence of God, that is out of my league, I prefer to comment only upon the character of belief in the existence of God (technical distinction there).

Den wrote:I guess the time difference down here in NZ is going to make immediate communication a little scarce . . . . but I feel like the drought may be over :-)

Yeah, well, I've gotten a bit bored answering Philosophy 101 questions on other forums.

Hopefully the discussions around this site might be a bit more stimulating... :)

Thanks for the welcome. It is always nice when one joins a new forum.
Mad_Michael
Banned User

Postby Den on November 30th, 2006, 2:14 am 

I'd be delighted to discuss the relativity of truth. As for the dubious existence of God, that is out of my league, I prefer to comment only upon the character of belief in the existence of God (technical distinction there).

Mad Michael - I'm interested in your technical distinction between professed belief and actuality here. Are you unwilling to postulate personally that God doesn't exist?

I guess the "Welcomes and Intro" page isn't the place to do this - but I'm happy to jump into either of the above subjects at a new place of your choosing?

Oh - and mbturtle - thanks for the welcome. You seem a friendly bunch and it's good to be here. :-)
Den

Postby Mad_Michael on November 30th, 2006, 8:18 am 

Den wrote:Mad Michael - I'm interested in your technical distinction between professed belief and actuality here. Are you unwilling to postulate personally that God doesn't exist?

Human logic/reasoning cannot determine the 'true' existence or non-existence of God. Ergo, it is foolish of humans to assert knowledge upon that topic.

Human belief (or non-belief) in the supernatural can be rationally or logically addressed. On this basis, I will assert that it is illogical and irrational to believe in God (using the technique of Ockham's Razor as my logical justification).
Mad_Michael
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on November 30th, 2006, 9:49 am 

Mad_Michael wrote:Thanks for the welcome. It is always nice when one joins a new forum.

ak!! sorry about that Michael!

I didn't mean to miss ya. I think you slipped in over the Thanksgiving weekend. I've been enjoying your posts.

So belatedly...

Welcome to the Forums! :))

and yes if you guys want to get into a discussion on truth and/or god, the other forums would be the places to do it.

~enjoy
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby mani on December 3rd, 2006, 8:08 pm 

Hello everybody

I came across this site by chance.I am a physician by profession and there is little time to do anything else.I like to read about religion and philosophy in my spare time.

I was in med school when it struck me that i needed to know more about physics and philosophy but it was too late and had to finish med school.After all its physics and philosophy,seen and unseen,known and unknown,faith and knowledge;that's all the big debate is about.
mani
Forum Neophyte

Hello

Postby geeker on December 13th, 2006, 9:04 am 

Hello friends :)

My name is Mariana, 17 years old from México and a freshman on Economics. I have been wandering among the forums without identity for a while, and finally decided it was a time to become participant.

Some of my interests are photography, drawing and reading. I enjoy learning about philosophy, anthropology, sociology, history, economics, ecology, astronomy and ethics. Some of my purposes are to introduce myself in the field of mathematics and logic, as well as physics, and to polish my writing skills :S

Philosophy was initially my election for a career, but eventually decided to study Economics for I realized it could embrace both fields in a pragmatic use for society.

I am really happy to joining these forums and am eager to make new friends and to have mind cultivating discussions :)
geeker
Forum Neophyte

Re: Hello

Postby mtbturtle on December 13th, 2006, 10:40 am 

geeker wrote:
I am really happy to joining these forums and am eager to make new friends and to have mind cultivating discussions :)

Welcome to the Forums geeker!

Glad you decided to stop wandering around and to start participating in the dicussions here. :)

~Enjoy
mtbturtle
Banned User

Howdy.

Postby flux on December 14th, 2006, 1:35 pm 

Greetings, all.

Just wanted to extend a hello after registering for the board. I've spent some time in the IRC channel the last couple of days, where I've been pleased to meet some fellow space junkies. Astronomy and space exploration are my primary interests. With further study I hope to become a bit less cosmologically-impaired. ;)
flux
Forum Neophyte

flux

Postby mtbturtle on December 16th, 2006, 7:16 pm 

Hi flux

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you've been chatting with Riley :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

geeker

Postby mtbturtle on December 16th, 2006, 7:18 pm 

Hey geeker

I just saw you posted a pic on our photo gallery - excellent thanks :)

now if we can just get you to come out and play (post) with us!
mtbturtle
Banned User

Re: flux

Postby flux on December 17th, 2006, 12:45 am 

mtbturtle wrote:Hi flux

Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like you've been chatting with Riley :)

Thanks, and guilty as charged.
flux
Forum Neophyte

Postby Dark X on December 26th, 2006, 6:39 am 

Name: Death in a new guise.

Hi guys i luv pcf it rox so I'm really excited to find people with my own interests.

anyways hi and say hi to my friend O.o Look a chicken aka life in a new guise.
Dark X

Postby O.oLook A Chicken on December 26th, 2006, 6:42 am 

Hey,
I'm O.oLook A Chicken.
I am a high school student, Dark X told me I needed to join because I had a strange thought about marbles.
O.oLook A Chicken
Forum Neophyte

Hello Everyone from TK Kenyon

Postby tkkenyon on January 8th, 2007, 5:26 pm 

Hi Folks,

Name: TK Kenyon

Education:
BS -- Microbiology, Arizona State
MFA -- Fiction (English), Univ. of Iowa Writers' Workshop
PhD -- Microbiology (Virology, VZV ORF47 Ser PK, a homologue of CKII) -- Univ. of Iowa
Postdoc -- Neuroscience, CNDR at Univ. of Pennsylvania

Recent stuff: First novel will be released by Kunati Books in April, 2007

Booklist said, "*STARRED REVIEW* A priest, a professor, the professor's wife, and his mistress--it sounds like the set-up for a dirty joke, but debut novelist Kenyon isn't fooling around. What begins as a riff on Peyton Place (salacious small-town intrigue) smoothly metamorphoses into a philosophical battle between science and religion. You would think that in attempting to deal with so many different themes-- shady clergy, top-secret scientific research, marital infidelity, lust, love, honor, faith-- Kenyon would run the risk of overwhelming readers. But, and this is why Kenyon is definitely an author to watch, she juggles all of her story's elements without dropping any of them--and, let's not forget, creates four very subtle and intriguing central characters. This is a novel quite unlike most standard commercial fare, a genre-bending story--part thriller, part literary slapdown with dialogue as the weapon of choice (think Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf)-- that makes us laugh, wince, and reflect all at the same time. Kenyon is definitely a keeper." -- David Pitt, Booklist, December 1, 2006

Also writing more stuff, and I like to talk to people with brains in their respective heads. While my 2 year old and I have fascinating conversations; occasionally, I like to discuss things other than "the letter H."

I plan to hang out in the science and philosophy forums. Talk to you there!

TK Kenyon
tkkenyon
Forum Neophyte

hi kenyon

Postby mtbturtle on January 8th, 2007, 9:04 pm 

Welcome to the forums kenyon!

Iowa writers workshop very nice indeed. I lived in Iowa City for a number of years. It's a nice town; I miss it. Good luck with the book, it sounds interesting.

Looking forward to your posts. Sounds like you might have a lot to contribute on both the PCF and SCF sides.

~mtb
mtbturtle
Banned User

On pasts, presents, and the future

Postby opinionated on January 12th, 2007, 10:57 pm 

An introduction among new friends, if you will.

I'm currenty attending high school in Barrie, Ontario, after which I plan to study Philosophy and Mathematics, possibly physics and english as well, until I've enough experience to become a teacher, Either at the high school level, or higher.

As for the all of anyone else?
opinionated
Forum Neophyte

Greetings

Postby matt4630 on January 13th, 2007, 12:29 pm 

I am new here but I love to discuss philosophy!

I am a good friend of Opinionated and currently and trying to understand him paper on how god doesn't exist.

I live in Ontario, Canada. I am 17 next wed and I love Philosophy. My teacher is Mr. Ruttan and he is the one responsible...lol

greetings all!
matt4630
Forum Neophyte

welcome opinionated & matt

Postby mtbturtle on January 13th, 2007, 12:57 pm 

Welcome to the Forums opinionated and matt!

It is wonderful that you guys are developing an interest in philosophy while still in High School.

Are you actually taking a class in philosophy in High School? It is rare to have such a course offering in High School in the US.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby opinionated on January 15th, 2007, 10:42 pm 

Yes actually, we are both in grade 11 in seperate Philosophy classes at our school, we have an Anthropology class together, hence the association.

Perhaps I speak for myself but I'm sure Matt agrees, philosophy, be it early on, seems Right. Like Hume, doubt everything until you find it for yourself to be true, even if the common thought has lead civilization in one way or another for the last millenium or two.

And besides, all the mind work is rather relaxing, it blots out what blander aspects there are in life, and even seeks to make life a little brighter. You can't see the light if you don't open the curtains, eh?

But anyhow, how about yourself? Where did the interest come along in Philosophy for you?
opinionated
Forum Neophyte

Postby BioWizard on January 19th, 2007, 10:13 am 

Welcome aboard Planckster. Do you study anything in particular?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Anonymous on January 19th, 2007, 1:25 pm 

Physics, in particular. :)
Anonymous

Postby opinionated on January 19th, 2007, 9:34 pm 

Physics indeed, welcome along. What level do you study at?
I've always wished to pursue physics as a career, where lies your affliction with it?
opinionated
Forum Neophyte

Postby Anonymous on January 19th, 2007, 9:48 pm 

opinionated wrote:Physics indeed, welcome along. What level do you study at?
I've always wished to pursue physics as a career, where lies your affliction with it?

I have a physics diploma.
So do you have any physics education at all?
Anonymous

Postby opinionated on January 20th, 2007, 5:03 pm 

As of yet, not anything beyond a grade 11 course and what I pick up in a variety of physics-related books.
opinionated
Forum Neophyte

Postby Anonymous on January 20th, 2007, 5:09 pm 

Oh OK, good.

So what books have you read?
Anonymous

Hello to the community

Postby Glaudge on February 3rd, 2007, 12:47 am 

hello, i'm a newbie, or a n00b as the online type would call, but i just droping bye to say hi, i love science, especially the chemistry and space sections, but i am in the middle of a big squeeze, cause i am from a big christian family background, so i get to see things from a weird perspective.

when i get in colledge i plan to to courses in varying chemistry sections, tad of math, second language, enough language arts to be acceptable, nuclear physics whenever possable! is there such a course a quantum physics? o also psicology.
Glaudge
Forum Neophyte

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area