Welcomes & Introductions

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Postby mitchmax3 on June 12th, 2014, 6:41 am 

Braininvat » June 9th, 2014, 6:35 pm wrote:
I like contention in my discussions as it means I am likely arriving at some deeper truth (as difficult as those discussion may be) which can be delicate because I also like to avoid confrontation- a trick that I understand will extend my life by a few years.

I don't know if it extends life, but it definitely extends a marriage. ;-)
I thrive on confrontation, on third wife now, any connection?
mitchmax3

Postby TheVat on June 12th, 2014, 10:55 am 

Heh, heh!

Welcome. Brain/mind threads are scattered through both the philosophy and science forums here. Hope you find time to browse.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby camexonda on June 16th, 2014, 3:51 pm 

Hello Everyone,
I'm a newbie here, I've just joined this forum and find this discussion community is really full of knowledge and have a lot of stuff for me that I can learn. For now I'd just introduce myself, My name is Cameron Dallas, I'm 22 and from Florida, USA.
I'm so thankful of the administrator of this forum who has allowed me to be a part of this board.
camexonda

Postby Jeannie on June 27th, 2014, 1:27 pm 

Hello all
I have just joined this forum as I have some questions that I would love to have answered by someone who knows more than me.
I am a middle aged woman with a wandering mind - sometimes it wanders so far it comes back with souvenirs!
My main problem is lack of self-discipline and focus. I find everything in this Universe so interesting.
My latest point of interest is the Higgs field and Higgs bosun particle. If there is a physicist out there who can tolerate the fact that I'm not a physicist and can't speak Maths I would love to chat about them.
Jeannie

Postby BioWizard on June 27th, 2014, 2:10 pm 

Hello Jeanie and welcome to the forums. There are several physics-knowledgeable people around, and a particle physicist who is actually conducting some of this research who pops in every now and then to answer questions. You can check some of the discussions already going on in the... physics forum I suppose. Hope you find what you're looking for :]
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: To wandering Jeannie

Postby Faradave on June 27th, 2014, 4:48 pm 

Hi,

I recently supplied the following to a member with similar questions. Click the links to view.

Faradave » June 10th, 2014, 11:12 pm wrote:A while back Lincoln (our resident physicist) started a thread with some of his short videos. This one describes Higgs.

He then gave us update 1, update 2 and update 3.

Much enjoyed. I hope they continue!
Faradave

Postby RogerDawson on July 13th, 2014, 7:11 pm 

Howdy, the name's Roger.
RogerDawson

Postby Watson on July 13th, 2014, 7:30 pm 

Hay Roger,
To the point,
I like that.
Welcome, since your here,
and tell us more if you're staying.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

INTRO

Postby AARAN on July 16th, 2014, 12:59 am 

Joining any community is like a trend in these days sometimes people joined for getting some entertainment but sometime they want to get useful information and knowledge from other community members. I am new in thins forum and want to find out good friends i found this community is highly interesting.
AARAN

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2014, 1:05 am 

Hello Aaran,

Welcome to the forum. I moved your post into our welcomes and introductions thread. I Hope to see you in some good discussions in the future.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Scott on September 10th, 2014, 7:27 pm 

Hello everyone. My name is Scott. Thank you for having me. I am married and semi-retired. I am an easy going guy and I am looking forward to being a part of your community.
Scott
Forum Neophyte

Postby Watson on September 10th, 2014, 7:33 pm 

Hi Scott
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Hendrick Laursen on September 11th, 2014, 4:06 am 

Hello all!
I welcome all newcomers and hope all have a pretty great time here.
Zillions of Regards
Hend
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Scott on September 11th, 2014, 3:07 pm 

Hendrick Laursen » September 11th, 2014, 1:06 am wrote:Hello all!
I welcome all newcomers and hope all have a pretty great time here.
Zillions of Regards
Hend
Thank you for your warm welcomes.
Scott
Forum Neophyte

Postby Grima on September 25th, 2014, 11:48 pm 

I would like to formally introduce myself to you all of on the forums. I have come in search of a place where I can read others theories, comment on them, and post my own. My particular interests are those in the physics field as well as some philosophy and theoretical conversations. I hope I've finally found a decent forum!

-Grima
Grima

Postby Hendrick Laursen on September 26th, 2014, 1:21 am 

This is the place. Welcome Grima!
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby BioWizard on September 26th, 2014, 9:26 am 

Hey Hendrick. Welcome aboard Grima.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby TheVat on October 26th, 2014, 12:59 pm 

I want to test my Holmesian powers of deduction by guessing that newbie member, "Ilikeponies" is a teenage female.

If I am wrong, I will have to turn in my deerstalker cap and Meerschaum.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby chapolin on November 1st, 2014, 6:09 pm 

Hello everyone! I just joined this community. I'm currently doing my PhD in quantum thermodynamics and quantum information. I will be as glad to answer questions as to have mine answered! hehehe
I'm interest in science in general plus math and logic. So I think this would be a wonderful place for discussions.

Good discussions for everyone!
chapolin

Postby Marshall on November 1st, 2014, 8:18 pm 

chapolin » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:09 pm wrote:Hello everyone! I just joined this community. I'm currently doing my PhD in quantum thermodynamics and quantum information. I will be as glad to answer questions as to have mine answered! hehehe
I'm interest in science in general plus math and logic. So I think this would be a wonderful place for discussions.

Good discussions for everyone!

Hi Chapolin! quantum thermodynamics seems like a very interesting field (also Q. I., but just to focus on one). Could you tell me some leading people whose research you admire or find especially up-to-date, in that field?
I will just glance at the papers to get a taste of what you see as especially interesting.

I'm not at all expert in such areas but I'd like to get a little superficial familiarity.

It comes to mind that a famous old one in Q.I. was Asher Peres (1934-2005, Technion ...)
and a very entertaining young person, who also has a blog, is Scott Aaronson (MIT...)

I'm personally not so interested in quantum COMPUTING possibilities and more interested in the quantum thermodynamics in NATURE, like black hole entropy and quantum paradoxes, and Unruh temperature, and entropy bounds for other horizons besides black hole, and arrow of time, and cosmology thermodynamics. Not that I know all that much about it, but I find that stuff appeals more to me personally than quantum computers.
Marshall

Postby chapolin on November 2nd, 2014, 6:08 am 

There are many influential researches. You may find them in this workshop http://www.wqit-quantum.if.ufg.br/pages/69140-speakers. I don't know your background so I will post some reviews if you get interested. Unfortunately there are not many of the quantum regime yet since it is a really emergent field. There are some of the classical regime, though (which was also a breakthrough in the past decade). I will post in an increasing order of technicality.

The nonequilibrium thermodynamics of small systems
http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/magazine/physicstoday/article/58/7/10.1063/1.2012462

Fluctuation theorems in small systems: extending thermodynamics to the nanoscale
http://www.europhysicsnews.org/articles/epn/abs/2010/02/epn20102p27/epn20102p27.html

Stochastic thermodynamics: Principles and perspectives
http://arxiv.org/abs/0710.1187

Stochastic thermodynamics, fluctuation theorems, and molecular machines
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.4176

Colloquium. Quantum Fluctuation Relations: Foundations and Applications
http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.2268
chapolin

Postby Marshall on November 3rd, 2014, 1:14 pm 

A really interesting list! Thanks for the links, especially for the first one: the article in Physics Today by Bustamante and others.
I responded yesterday (Sunday) morning but since my reactions were too specific to put in this Welcome thread and might be distracting, I posted my reply here:
viewtopic.php?p=270025#p270025
in the "quantum phenomena" thread where you had already joined the discussion.
Molecular motors and cellular biophysical motors must be a fascinating field of research! As I recall Biowizard has posted some related comment and, if I remember correctly, some computer animation video related to molecular mechanics in the cell. I live in Berkeley--I must keep an eye out for public lectures on this topic.
Marshall

Postby sciencem on November 10th, 2014, 9:57 am 

I have registered here few days ago, but I didn't participate here to share anything or collect information from all of your discerning people, I hope it will be a right place to discuss & grow knowledge in science as well share my experience & some unique science research.
sciencem
Banned User

Re: New Member

Postby neuro on November 10th, 2014, 10:20 am 

Welcome to the forums, then, sciencem!

But, please, when you start a new topic, try and make it so that there is something to discuss in it (I mean, a question, a hypothesis, a doubt...)
neuro
Forum Moderator

Postby sciencem on November 11th, 2014, 7:14 am 

camexonda » June 16th, 2014, 2:51 pm wrote:Hello Everyone,
I'm a newbie here, I've just joined this forum and find this discussion community is really full of knowledge and have a lot of stuff for me that I can learn. For now I'd just introduce myself, My name is Cameron Dallas, I'm 22 and from Florida, USA.
I'm so thankful of the administrator of this forum who has allowed me to be a part of this board.

Welcome to the forum, surely you will enjoy here, i am also a new member, but i noticed that Board members and other members are giving rapid responce here, it's really a nice forum.
sciencem
Banned User

Postby TheVat on November 15th, 2014, 1:37 pm 

Part of the rapid response includes banning people who pepper the boards with bland, pointless posts like "that is very interesting," then sneak in spam for some bogus cure for cancer.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on November 15th, 2014, 1:46 pm 

I was wondering what happened, and didn't see any obvious reason. Thanks for the explanation.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Sara001 on November 17th, 2014, 9:39 pm 

Hello! My name is Sara, and I just joined this forum.

I enjoy running, weightlifting, and studying physiology. My favorite organ is the heart, my favorite organelle is the mitochondrion, and my favorite topic of study is cardiovascular responses to heat stress.
Sara001

Postby Watson on November 17th, 2014, 11:10 pm 

Hi Sara,
You have some favorites that I never considered having one of. Welcome.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby TheVat on November 18th, 2014, 2:04 am 

I've always been fond of the Golgi body.
TheVat
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area