Welcomes & Introductions

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Welcomes & Introductions

Postby JohnD on March 18th, 2015, 5:38 pm 

I bit and took the test. Happy to report I'm considered an INTJ. I wish I knew this 50 years ago!

"Rules, limitations and traditions are anathema to the INTJ personality type - everything should be open to questioning and re-evaluation, and if they see a way, INTJs will often act unilaterally to enact their technically superior, sometimes insensitive, and almost always unorthodox methods and ideas."
http://www.16personalities.com/intj-personality
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Paralith on March 18th, 2015, 6:42 pm 

I think that, if you take one of these personality tests, and you feel that the results accurately describe you, then the test has utility in helping you describe your own strengths and faults to others. And, as in Eclectic's case, finding other people who feel the test describes them accurately can potentially lead to good friendships. The danger, of course, is if the test is not really accurate, and you find yourself bending your beliefs and behavior to try and fit yourself to it. I think this can be difficult not to do especially in the case of the glowing descriptions of the strengths of the different personalities. And like horoscopes, it can be easy to find some part of yourself and your experience that rings true with the description.

All that being said, I test as an INFJ. I think much of it works fairly well for me.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Postby JohnD on March 18th, 2015, 6:51 pm 

Hi Paralith. You are right of course however more importantly is not taking the results too seriously. How a person reacts and behaves in particular situations is liable to change according to experience and the perceived situation. Besides there is always the human response to being told what you are which is that most will look to doing the opposite. It is fine looking at such things as I have when I'm at the other end of the scale of life - my life's journey can't be influenced by the outcome when the overall average of responses has already been determined.
JohnD

Postby NoChoice on March 18th, 2015, 7:07 pm 

I have already posted in a few threads and have decided to hang around for a while, so I figured a brief introduction would be in order.

I am a philosopher at heart. When I was 11 or 12 my interest in all things science awoke. One big factor was a book by a German philosopher and physicist (C.F. von Weizsäcker) about the philosophical aspects of physics in general and quantum physics in particular. At the tender age of 12 I didn't understand all of it but enough to be utterly fascinated and hooked for life.

Having a mind that finds juggling with abstract concepts not too difficult, I then decided to study mathematics and physics, which I did. I realized after a while that I wouldn't find the answers to the fundamental philosophical questions I had in the sciences and my interests shifted. I never ended up practicing physics but I got a solid foundation in it and the scientific method in general.

I was always fascinated by computers. I met the right people at the right time and my profession (software developer) was basically handed to me. That's what I am still doing, now in my 50s. I still use mathematics in my job quite a bit and I am glad I hung around university enough to get a solid foundation in it. I have lots of experience with physiological signal processing, especially EEG and EMG.

One area I explored quite a bit is the spiritual traditions, especially Buddhism and Advaita Vedanta. I have experience with meditation for over 20 years. This has quickly become one of the most important aspects of my life and still is.

Other than that, I am a bit of an old hippie with a decidedly hedonistic streak. Sex, drugs and rock'n'roll and all that jazz. Music is important to me and I play drums as a hobby.
NoChoice
Banned User

Postby Darby on March 18th, 2015, 7:11 pm 

NoChoice: except for that last bit bit about hedonism, it sounds like we have a lot in common.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 18th, 2015, 7:58 pm 

Hey, I've seen your postings in "Culinaria," Darby. You can't seriously claim no streak of hedonism. JK

I've explored eastern mysticism and meditation, too, so your blend of east/west, Nochoice, is familiar to me as well. I look forward to hearing more from you in the PCF forae.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby JohnD on March 18th, 2015, 8:04 pm 

I'm the one who, at a party, sits somewhere near the door and talks to as few people as possible and when a joint gets passed around goes outside for some fresh air.
JohnD

Postby Braininvat on March 18th, 2015, 8:19 pm 

Yes. That's me, except one occasion when I stayed and accepted the doobie, and then found my visual awareness so enhanced that I lost all track of what sentences meant. Could only nod calmly and say, "you may be right" to anyone's vocalizations. The Dude abides.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby JohnD on March 18th, 2015, 8:23 pm 

I tried it once and became so violently ill I wouldn't dare try it again. Then someone asked me to try some cocaine and my head spun for three days. As you can see the life of the party.
JohnD

Postby NoChoice on March 18th, 2015, 8:57 pm 

Drugs are overrated. I have tried pretty much everything in my early days, except heroin and crack.
It was mostly my natural curiosity and a refusal to be told what I can and can not take that led me to that exploration.

These days there is only the occasional bong. I am quite health conscious and don't even like what alcohol does to my system and I hardly ever drink it, except for the rare whiskey if it is a really good one.
NoChoice
Banned User

Postby Darby on March 19th, 2015, 12:04 am 

Braininvat » March 18th, 2015, 7:58 pm wrote:Hey, I've seen your postings in "Culinaria," Darby. You can't seriously claim no streak of hedonism.

Ok, guilty as charged. ;^)
Darby

Cosmic Thinker Onboard

Postby ebuc on April 5th, 2015, 6:31 pm 

Hi, I'm ebuc and a cosmic thinker.
ebuc
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 5th, 2015, 9:14 pm 

Welcome aboard.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on April 6th, 2015, 6:33 pm 

If anyone needs to talk about duplicate post removal, or theories of metaphysics, please take it to appropriate thread. Thanks. Feedback forum listed at bottom of homepage.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby guyprotection on April 21st, 2015, 4:09 am 

hello everyone newbie here
guyprotection
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on April 21st, 2015, 12:39 pm 

Hi guyprotection welcome to the forums.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 21st, 2015, 12:53 pm 

I googled Twinsburg, curious if it was a made up place, like Whoville. If you forget where it is, it is south west of Reminderville. Yes welcome.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby addseo1119 on April 27th, 2015, 5:46 am 

Hello guys, I'm new here.
addseo1119
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on April 27th, 2015, 6:46 am 

Hi addseo welcome to the forums.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Beer w/Straw on April 27th, 2015, 4:08 pm 

Hi all. I found this place quite indirectly. Signed up to a Facebook group then saw it promoted a different address than what I expected. But my gut tells me this place is AWESOME! Hence, I'm here now. Destiny maybe. The destiny that follows the scientific method of course :)
Beer w/Straw
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on April 27th, 2015, 4:38 pm 

Your gut is much more articulate than mine, which usually just says "lunch" or "supper" - that kind of thing.

Welcome.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Faradave on April 27th, 2015, 10:13 pm 

Hi Beer w/Straw,

Glad to have a budding physicist among us. Are you leaning to a favorite area of study?
Faradave

Postby Beer w/Straw on April 27th, 2015, 10:50 pm 

I'm kinda' thinking more about quantum physics. Even if you study cosmology, classical physics seems of no use around black holes. I haven't looked at the mathematics of string theory and the possible constraints they may foretell. But maybe we'd need a particle accelerator like the circumference of the solar system to test its current predictions.
Beer w/Straw
Forum Neophyte

Postby Beer w/Straw on April 29th, 2015, 4:41 pm 

Hey might as well post my facebook page since I just made it and got to this site from facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009412575281
The original public group I joined only has 24 "likes". Weird.

:EDIT:

Just in case I come close to bending rules or something. It's not a personal blog. I'm almost totally new to facebook but I've been around internet fora enough I'd reckon.
Beer w/Straw
Forum Neophyte

Postby menacethoughts on May 24th, 2015, 8:54 am 

Hi to anyone who might be lucky to read this. (Joke, hehe)

I am one confused citizen of the world and I want to stay anonymous. However, I would definitely love if we could all be friends here. I think this place is such a happy place for wisdom-hungry people! :)

I joined here because I have no one that is reliable and sensible to talk about some things like philosophy, or some sciences. Clearly, I do not have anyone who is willing to go have some deep talks with me and that makes me so pitiful about what's happening here on earth. hehehe, so... I hope we all could benefit form one another and thank you so much for existing!
menacethoughts
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on May 24th, 2015, 8:56 am 

Hi menacethoughts and welcome to our forums.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Clove.Sci.Phy on May 27th, 2015, 1:30 am 

Hiya :)

42 yo WF in Dallas, TX returning to college after 23 years to change my field. Majoring in Physics and pursuing my interest in Cosmology. I plan to pursue my education in Physics all the way through my PhD.

Intelligent with a deep heart... Love animals, books, music, movies and philosophical discussions. I've had a life-long love affair with mathematics and am practicing again after years away from it.

I would love to chat with other students, profs, scientists and to make new friends anywhere in the world.
Clove.Sci.Phy
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on May 27th, 2015, 6:42 am 

Hi Clove and welcome to our forums!
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on May 27th, 2015, 10:47 am 

Yes and Hello from the more northerly parts.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Clove.Sci.Phy on May 27th, 2015, 11:30 am 

Thank you for the welcome! I'm starting over at age 42 and finally going back to college to achieve my dreams, after I gave them all up to raise my daughter, as a single mother. Relearning all of the mathematics is the hardest part! Trying to have confidence, but of course, I'm afraid that I'm too old to start over.
Clove.Sci.Phy
Forum Neophyte

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area