Reason for usernames

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Reason for usernames

Postby Lincoln on April 21st, 2011, 11:08 am 

So, this is to give people a chance to explain why they picked their user name. Some are sort of clear. Some aren't.

Mine is boring. Lincoln = name.

Your turn.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Re: Reason for usernames

Postby rickymouse on April 21st, 2011, 11:45 am 

My younger cousin started to call me Rickymouse because I would come to the rescue. I was about twenty at the time. It pretty much disappeared from my reality but surfaced again a few years ago. Seems like all things have a purpose weather we see it or not. It's not easy going through life as a mouse.
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby owleye on April 21st, 2011, 11:53 am 

Lincoln wrote:So, this is to give people a chance to explain why they picked their user name. Some are sort of clear. Some aren't.

Mine is boring. Lincoln = name.

Your turn.

I'd attempted eagleeye on the basis that I had a philosophical bent for criticism -- thinking I'd derived it from my days of finding errors in computer codes -- a troubleshooter of sorts. However, eagleeye had a well worn path which made it unavailable, so I chose another raptor, the owl. I'd been using it for some time when one of our native american friends had me change it because otherwise she wouldn't be able to visit us, as the owl was such a powerful symbol of an evil force that it caused her a great deal of anguish that we would have one in our midst. Though I'd changed it to something randomly different, I eventually came back to it and, though our friend may yet be concerned about it, things seemed to have drifted into a comfortable relationship.

Notwithstanding, it is not something I hide behind, making a habit of indicating my name and authorship at the end of every post.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby CanadysPeak on April 21st, 2011, 12:33 pm 

It's the mountain I lived under in my early years.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby rickymouse on April 21st, 2011, 12:47 pm 

Did you live in a cave Canadyspeak? (I just had to respond)(pretty sick joke heh}
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby CanadysPeak on April 21st, 2011, 7:44 pm 

rickymouse wrote:Did you live in a cave Canadyspeak? (I just had to respond)(pretty sick joke heh}

You're giving yourself away as a native flatlander. I hereby sentence you to listen to Johnny Horton's North to Alaska over and over until you get my meaning.
CanadysPeak
Resident Expert

Postby sillysmile on April 22nd, 2011, 6:30 am 

it represents my often comical temperament.
sillysmile

Postby mtbturtle on April 22nd, 2011, 8:46 am 

mtb = mountain bike
turtle = my mojo - in mtb culture mojo has a variety of meaning relating to good luck, power, skill, personal style

It's come to be much more but that's where it originated.
Attachments
turtle mojo.jpg
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Sisyphus on April 22nd, 2011, 5:17 pm 

Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby Lincoln on April 22nd, 2011, 5:32 pm 

Sisyphus...

We all know about the myth of Sisyphus. Some of has have read Camus. But this doesn't answer the question of "Why?" Perhaps you have a lisp and it's fun to say?
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Forest_Dump on April 22nd, 2011, 6:03 pm 

Well, Forest Dump is partly a play on Forest Gump, of course, but the play relates to archaeology. A "midden" is a garbage dump on an archaeological site and middens are fun places to dig because they are loaded with cool artifacts but being secondary refuse dumps, often you can dig through them faster and get more stuff in an hour because there is less contextual data that needs to be meticulously drawn in place, etc. Anyway, a midden or garbage dump in the forest also tend to be less disturbed by ploughing, looters, etc., and so are the best of all to dig in. So a prehistoric forest (garbage) dump is my favorite place in the world to be.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Sisyphus on April 22nd, 2011, 6:26 pm 

Lincoln wrote:Sisyphus...

We all know about the myth of Sisyphus. Some of has have read Camus. But this doesn't answer the question of "Why?" Perhaps you have a lisp and it's fun to say?

Well, I guess because I found I could really relate to it, and it helped me to keep on truckin'.
Sisyphus
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (60)

Postby rickymouse on April 22nd, 2011, 6:39 pm 

I guess I'll have to look up Sisyphus. Never read Camus. I have read the National Electrical code manual and know all the plumbing, heating, and building codes and know most of the realestate laws and also used to possess a certified mechanix license and have kept up with the evolution of these. Now I have to read a book named Camus? Is it any good?
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby Paralith on April 22nd, 2011, 7:03 pm 

My previous habitual internet user name was a fantasy character I had invented. She was quite an amazing creature with a grand history, but at one point I decided I needed something more mature that would better represent me as a scientist. I looked at a bunch of species names and eventually cobbled together something that I found aesthetically pleasing. The fact that it translates to something along the lines of "beside the stone" or "becoming stone" (you'd have to ask someone who really knows latin what it would be exactly...) was an interesting post hoc discovery that felt appropriate.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Forest_Dump on April 22nd, 2011, 7:12 pm 

Paralith wrote:The fact that it translates to something along the lines of "beside the stone" or "becoming stone" (you'd have to ask someone who really knows latin what it would be exactly...) was an interesting post hoc discovery that felt appropriate.

I think near or almost stone might be closer.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby xcthulhu on April 22nd, 2011, 8:59 pm 

Paralith wrote:My previous habitual internet user name was a fantasy character I had invented. She was quite an amazing creature with a grand history, but at one point I decided I needed something more mature that would better represent me as a scientist.

lol. My habitual internet user name, since I was 13, has been Cthulhu, which is a fantasy character I did not invent. Of course, on every internet thingy I went on, Cthulhu was always taken, so I picked xcthulhu to get around that.

Then I grew up, became a sort-of scientist, but never really matured. So I still have the silly name I picked when I was 13.
xcthulhu
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby rickymouse on April 23rd, 2011, 1:21 am 

I never signed a contract when I was born that stated I had to grow up. I didn't know it was a requirement in life to grow up and act your age. Maybe it was in the fine print when you file your income taxes and I missed it.
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby Paralith on April 23rd, 2011, 1:47 am 

Or maybe it was when the hormone surge you experienced during puberty that re-organized your brain for adult life.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Forest_Dump on April 23rd, 2011, 7:01 am 

As the great philosopher Red Green put it, you can't stop growing old but that does not mean you have to grow up. Or you can't stay young forever but you can stay immature.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby rickymouse on April 23rd, 2011, 9:31 am 

Well I must have went through puberty at age 52 because that's when I decided to take life seriously and start processing what I've learned through life. Actually Red Green is a Philosopher of sort. Another good PBS show.
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby Natural ChemE on April 23rd, 2011, 2:20 pm 

Lincoln,

My discipline is best described as Natural Philosophy. When I signed up for this board, I was asking for advice on joining a Chemical Engineering, or ChemE, Ph.D. program. Putting the two together, I arrived at "Natural ChemE".
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Heron on April 25th, 2011, 1:17 am 

Well I like Hellenic studies.
Heron (hero) of Alexandria was thought to be the first mechanical engineer.
I am the first out of several generations of engineers to be a mechanical engineer, seemed appropriate at the time.
Heron

Postby Lomax on April 25th, 2011, 10:07 am 

Boring like Lincoln's :/
Lomax is my surname.

__

CanadysPeak - so you lived under a mountain called Canady? Canady mountain? like Candy Mountain?
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby sillysmile on April 26th, 2011, 4:46 am 

Lomax wrote:Boring like Lincoln's :/
Lomax is my surname.

__

CanadysPeak - so you lived under a mountain called Canady? Canady mountain? like Candy Mountain?

He/she is probably one of those shifty unicorns.
sillysmile

Postby rickymouse on April 26th, 2011, 8:57 am 

Are you saying Candypeaks could be horny?
rickymouse
Banned User

Postby Lincoln on April 26th, 2011, 9:42 am 

Well, duh....he's a guy, after all.

However, this is more than a bit off topic.
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Postby Whut on April 26th, 2011, 5:46 pm 

Im dyslexic and always make spelling mistakes like this, even after re reading it 5 times they often get through the radar (i did it on purpose in my username though, i was being facetious (i think thats the right word) =P

Chose the word What becuase I really want to understand the world around me and life in general as much as I possibly can.
Whut

Postby Eye4Knowledge on June 22nd, 2011, 3:46 pm 

Eye4knowledge has more then one meaning.

The obvious one: I have an curiosity for knowledge: hence Eye for Knowledge. And it is a reference to a Nietzsche quote and the Scandinavian pagan god "Odin" who gave up one of his eyes to drink from the cup of knowledge.
Eye4Knowledge

Postby newyear on June 22nd, 2011, 5:49 pm 

The thing with user names is that they can be easily forgotten if it is new. Hence, I suppose, is why some like to use their own names. And, Lincoln, I guess you are comfortable with your name as it has an interesting connection with the late 16th president. My own was chosen to remember the day I became a member of the forum.
newyear

Postby Lincoln on June 22nd, 2011, 9:36 pm 

newyear wrote:The thing with user names is that they can be easily forgotten if it is new. Hence, I suppose, is why some like to use their own names. And, Lincoln, I guess you are comfortable with your name as it has an interesting connection with the late 16th president. My own was chosen to remember the day I became a member of the forum.

Actually, I kept my name because my original connection to the forum came from a strong review by an SCF member of a book I wrote. A Google auto-notify pinged me and I responded to the enthusiastic SCF member. Kind of hard to claim to be someone and be anonymous at the same time, you know?
Lincoln
Resident Expert

Next

Return to Lounge Area