Reason for usernames

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Reason for usernames

Postby newyear on June 25th, 2011, 5:49 pm 

Lincoln wrote:Actually, I kept my name because my original connection to the forum came from a strong review by an SCF member of a book I wrote. A Google auto-notify pinged me and I responded to the enthusiastic SCF member. Kind of hard to claim to be someone and be anonymous at the same time, you know?

Does that mean if could have chosen to remain anonymous, you would have done so?
newyear

Postby BioWizard on June 29th, 2011, 1:42 am 

BioWizard is my middle name, and I didn't want to use my first or my last.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby gloriacollins on July 9th, 2011, 1:10 am 

Hi friends

I am new here.. my user name is my real name.
gloriacollins
Forum Neophyte

Postby flatearthsurvivor on July 27th, 2011, 11:08 pm 

I like to think of myself as an average thinking person who is willing to abandon points of view and opinions if reliable facts indicate I'm holding an illogical position, regardless of what the majority may believe or not believe.

My user name indicates my belief that the majority may sometimes hold onto opinions that knowledge of the nature of reality has negated or relegated illogical.
flatearthsurvivor

Postby cyanobacteria on July 27th, 2011, 11:55 pm 

I've been learning a little bit about plant evolution and as I skimmed off a thick layer of cyanobacteria off the young plantings I was working with, I couldn't help but marvel at the adaptive ways of bacteria, fungi, as well as that of kind of "ancient" plants like mosses, liverworts, ferns, etc. I've been so inspired by plants and their seemingly mysterious lives that I decided to use the name of this rather gross but awe inspiring snot-like substance on this forum. I've never had a real screen name before as on the one other board I've joined I used a version of my name, I thought this time I would get something else entirely.
cyanobacteria
Forum Neophyte

Postby toucana on August 2nd, 2011, 6:22 pm 

Toucana (aka 'Tucana') is a small constellation of stars near the South celestial pole. Tucana is the Latin word for the Toucan, a tropical bird.

The asterism was one of twelve new southern constellations first named in 1598 by the Dutch astronomer Petrus Plancius, and more widely published in a sky atlas called "Uranometria" by Johann Bayer in 1603.

I chose the name partly because I had a passing interest in both ornithology and astronomy, and I always liked toucans too. My avatar icon contains both the bird and the asterism.
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby mtbturtle on August 2nd, 2011, 7:03 pm 

Quick catch that bird-star!
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby toucana on August 15th, 2011, 7:43 pm 

Is that a 'Painted Lady' ? ;-)
toucana
Chatroom Operator

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby mtbturtle on August 16th, 2011, 7:16 am 

hehe not sure but I think it is a tiger swallowtail
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby edy420 on August 29th, 2011, 2:55 am 

My name is Edward, most people call me Eddie, but whenever people ask what I prefer I usually say Ed.

420 was initially the icon associated with university students and smoking marijuana.
Straight after school they'd all meet up at a specific meeting area and spark up at 4:20pm.

Now days it means anything from want a smoke to got any?
It's the proffered icon among smokers, because nothing says illegal action (disappointingly) like a picture of Bob Marley or a big green leaf.
edy420

Postby goingtothedogs on September 8th, 2011, 11:51 am 

Well "goingtothechickens" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue......
goingtothedogs

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby mtbturtle on September 8th, 2011, 11:57 am 

Good to see you still lurking around gtd :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby goingtothedogs on September 8th, 2011, 5:31 pm 

Oh yes - still lurkin...... :-)
goingtothedogs

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Forest_Dump on September 8th, 2011, 5:59 pm 

goingtothedogs wrote:Well "goingtothechickens" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue......

Well, I might have gone with "goingtothepotty" but I think that was from some bad chicken.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby çağla on September 12th, 2011, 6:28 am 

It's my first name.
çağla

Postby mtbturtle on September 12th, 2011, 6:36 am 

Again welcome.

What are the little squiggles below the c and above the g called? and how do you make them? otherwise, will it be ok if I just write cagla?
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby çağla on September 13th, 2011, 11:58 am 

mtbturtle wrote:Again welcome.

What are the little squiggles below the c and above the g called? and how do you make them? otherwise, will it be ok if I just write cagla?

I don't think they are called something. They are the fourth (ç) and the ninth letter (ğ) of the Turkish alphabet. Without the tail and the hat, they are the third and the eighth letters; c & g, but no connection as an "accent" or changable usages. Seperate letters. I am using a Turkish keybord. Pronounciation of my name in English would be 'Chala' I guess. Like the pronounciation of Italian -ce with a in Turkish.

Ğ is a soft letter (we call it "soft g"), but I don't know how to make an example for its pronounciation, because it doesn't have a sound. For example, the word "yogurt" is actually the Turkish word "yoğurt" written with a hard g. Imagine there is no hard, stopping g sound. Something like yoo-h-urt" not with again a hard sound h gives, but with a smooth sound like sliding in your mouth.

It's Ok to write cagla.
çağla

Postby Lomax on September 13th, 2011, 5:31 pm 

mtbturtle wrote:What are the little squiggles below the c and above the g called? and how do you make them? otherwise, will it be ok if I just write cagla?

The one above the g is a Caron (hold alt and type 0287), the one afoot the c is a cedille (hold alt and type 0231).
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby mtbturtle on September 14th, 2011, 4:34 pm 

çağla,

thanks for the explanation. I'll probably copy and paste it or end up going with cagla occasionally.

I'll never remember those alt # you gave Lomax! but thanks :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby neuro on September 15th, 2011, 11:54 am 

Well, I'd prefer not to tell why I chose this name, 'cause I'd prefer nobody realized that I'm rather maniac in my passion for neurons and synapses, and in my hope to understand how they chat with one-another to work-out hypotheses on what's going on outside the skull and in that gray jelly itself.
neuro
Forum Moderator

Postby Shynoh on September 21st, 2011, 10:46 am 

Shynoh used to be my name to play fantasy adventures with my friends (back in childhood). But I kept it because it looks like an aggregation of "shy" and "no" (which was not my intention when making it up) and so my name defines pretty well what people should expect from me online. Not-shy, that is. Not at all. I tend to make my case by any means, even if it means hurting peoples feelings or sounding like a douchebag. I don't intentionally do that, but I don't let it get in the way of making my point either :)
Shynoh
Forum Neophyte

Postby mtbturtle on September 21st, 2011, 11:27 am 

Heya Shynoh

neat nick and looking forward to your not shy posts. :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Newagemystic on October 20th, 2011, 8:56 pm 

It's what I see myself as. And it's easy to remember.
Newagemystic

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby 17NDSMRT on November 2nd, 2011, 4:11 pm 

because im only 17... and im smarticle < win
17NDSMRT
Forum Neophyte

Postby Fuqin on November 11th, 2011, 11:21 am 

Well I don’t think mine is a secret as I’ve mentioned it a couple of times owing to their not being a U after the Q ,FUQIN it’s the pinyin mandarin for Father ,when I first joined the forum I was in the process of adopting my first daughter from china ‘Nanchang’ I nearly called myself Ba Ba which is less formal more like daddy but then I thought it might come across as some kind of southern America hillbillyish type baba
Fuqin
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Eighty on November 15th, 2011, 4:13 pm 

I made up Riddler_This when I was 12. I thought it sounded cool back then and used it for my gamertag in all my games. Riddler because I liked how the Riddler was portrayed in Batman, and "This" because "That" was already heavily in use and I felt saying "That" was more aggressive and assertive!

My real name is Dan.
Eighty
Banned User

Postby KeenIdiot on January 20th, 2012, 4:38 am 

I'm an idiot, but I'm keen on scientific and philosophical topics so...

Used to go by ShadowSot fairly commonly, and before that RuneSpider, both were names I used on the fringe and conspiracy forums I congealed out of.
KeenIdiot
Forum Neophyte

Postby Typist on February 5th, 2012, 7:18 pm 

My screen name, which I've been using for a few years now, came to me in a flash I think, and wasn't the result of a lot of reflection. After the fact, I've come to understand the reasoning behind the flash of inspiration, and have embraced it.

First, "Typist" might imply "I'm just a typist" which creates an entertaining irony against what is some times an aggressively confident, um I mean arrogant, style of writing. I once read a very nice modest polite lady whose screen name was Momzilla. Like that.

On another day, it really does mean I'm just a typist. That is, on certain kinds of topics, writing, um I mean blowharding, comes so utterly naturally to me that it's like it's not really me doing it.

I just lay my hands on the keyboard, and all kinds of crap just starts spontaneously blasting forth, seemingly powered by a life of it's own. Sometimes I just sit here listening to the clickety clack of the keys, and watch it unfold on the screen, as if observing from a distance.

For me typing is a lot like playing the piano. When you sit down to play the piano you don't have a point, other than hearing the notes rise and fall and blend together. Writing can be like that, but the notes are language and concepts. It's just fun to watch them happen, and the actual content is not much more important than the lyrics to some cheesy song you sing only because you like the melody.

I live for that place, where your head is bent over the piano and you're totally lost in the music that is bubbling forth around you. The music is, and you are not. Except I do it on computer keyboard. I played real music for years, but typing is where I really belong.

On some days, the screen name Typist is a public admission of the addiction I have to the sound of my own voice. Typist, Typist, Typist, Typist typing all day long, so long as it's all about Typist.

Which reminds me, time to wrap this up!
Typist
Banned User

Postby 11D_model on February 27th, 2012, 11:06 am 

Hopefully, my user name will attract others who are interested in developing a model of the eleven (or so) dimensions that makeup our reality; this may include the universe as we know it- or an even larger expanse.

I can explain what I feel those eleven dimensions are and can draw an easy to understand model of them; however I do not have the mathematical background needed to prove, disprove, modify or represent in equations- the understanding or misunderstanding that I see in my mind.
11D_model
Forum Neophyte

Postby BadgerJelly on March 21st, 2012, 4:39 am 

Because I like to not take myself too seriously, it makes me smile and this :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area