Reason for usernames

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Reason for usernames

Postby Hendrick Laursen on May 5th, 2014, 3:43 am 

Well, a good choice;
As much as I remember, Heisenberg was the youngest guy ever in 20th Century to reach Physics Nobel Prize.
He did so when he was (I'm not sure) 31.
Hendrick Laursen

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby doogles on June 1st, 2014, 2:52 am 

I found this thread quite amusing and interesting and had to add my small but less interesting contribution My first given name is Douglas. My wife only ever addresses me as Douglas!!! when I'm in trouble for something (which is fairly often). When I'm sweet, she prefers to call me 'Doogles'. Hence my preference for this as a nickname.
doogles

Postby BioWizard on June 1st, 2014, 8:28 am 

Ha that's cute. Do you call her by her actual name or do you also have a nickname for her?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Scott on September 11th, 2014, 3:13 pm 

Mine is boring.

Scott=name.
Scott
Forum Neophyte

Postby Hendrick Laursen on September 11th, 2014, 4:16 pm 

On my later Avatar:
Picture of a melancholy guy I found in the web. Dunno who's he, but I discovered he (The cartoon character) is 18 years old, like me. 'twas good reason to choose it.
Hendrick Laursen

Postby Scott on September 11th, 2014, 5:31 pm 

Hendrick Laursen » September 11th, 2014, 1:16 pm wrote:On my later Avatar:
Picture of a melancholy guy I found in the web. Dunno who's he, but I discovered he (The cartoon character) is 18 years old, like me. 'twas good reason to choose it.
I like it. :)
Scott
Forum Neophyte

Postby Hendrick Laursen on September 12th, 2014, 5:11 am 

Thanks Scott.
:]
Hendrick Laursen

Postby M.Lorentz on September 12th, 2014, 10:47 am 

Dear scott, meine is boring too! But I had no choose, with Lorentz as name, I couldn't find a better nick for a Science forum
M.Lorentz
Forum Neophyte

Postby Hendrick Laursen on September 12th, 2014, 10:56 am 

Dear Monsieur Lorentz,

I hear there was a Hendrik Antoon Lorentz, (A great Physicist),
So your name isn't boring after all. o_O

Hendrick
Hendrick Laursen

Postby M.Lorentz on September 12th, 2014, 11:15 am 

That's reason I couldn't find a better nick !!!
M.Lorentz
Forum Neophyte

Postby life_sucks on December 5th, 2014, 9:06 am 

Well,mine is a bit pessimistic but pretty self-explanatory.

My life sucks because I have to go on studying and scoring marks,passing tests one after the other to prove I have mettle.Only then I will be allowed to work in an interesting field,and do practical things.Even then,I have to pay attention that I get a good salary,promotion,etc...Honestly,I would love to simply drown myself in science and technology devoid of such daily life worries.

Also,I have a general existing scientific and philosophical idea of the universe,life,etc. that is a bit ....
It downplays the importance of life,existence,identity,etc.I dont like it,but as of now,believe it to be true,and accept it.So,life in general sucks because it is not what it is thought to be.
life_sucks

Postby Braininvat on December 5th, 2014, 11:49 am 

I think you will find many here who challenge your view of life, hopefully in a way that stimulates thought and reflection on the value and meanings we find in life. IMO, consciousness is a privilege and the crowning glory of the universe. After 13.7 gigayears of nonexistence, here is your big chance to be a part of that. I wouldn't waste it on nihilism.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby life_sucks on December 5th, 2014, 12:34 pm 

I hope so too.
Btw,googled nihilism.It is true that I share much in common to those beliefs but I'm not a pure nihilist.I do not believe that life has much importance,but recognise that conciousness is a priviledge,and life should be spent productively.At the least,it should be lived without regrets.
Not that it means its important. :D
life_sucks

Postby Braininvat on December 5th, 2014, 3:26 pm 

LOL. Sounds like you'll spice up some of the philosophy chats. Regrets are okay, so long as you move along, I guess. Can't be my age (50's) without picking up a few, but it's getting easier to refurbish them and call them "learning experiences." I used to regret not reading with better light when I was a kid, and holding the page farther away, and taking breaks - might have saved me from wearing glasses so early (age 11). But then I turned that regret into gentle constructive nagging of my children when they exhibited bad eye habits. Result is they have much better vision than I, or my wife, do.

But worse attention spans. JK
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on December 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm 

Hi life_sucks. Our lives are important to us and to the humans around us. That might not be much in the cosmic sense, but I think you'll one day find that it's enough. When I was in high school I felt a lot like you, that life seemed like it would be nothing but a grind from school to university to job. And in a way, that's true. It's all a grind. Even if you get a job in a field you love, a job is a job. Work is work. You'll still have to grind no matter what you do. But here's the secret: you can still be happy even though you have to grind. Happiness is a choice. You can learn how to make that choice, even if right now you feel like you can't. You will.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby life_sucks on December 6th, 2014, 5:03 am 

To Brainvat,
Yes,I meant that.Think ahead to avoid making mistakes,but if you make them,learn from them.

To Paralith,
I have no doubt what you say is true.Happiness is indeed a choice,and I may end up making it just to preserve my sanity.But,that kind of happiness is not important,since I'm intentionally making it so as to live a normal life,and just,...be happy,I guess.It will not come naturally and not for a worthy reason.
life_sucks

Postby Paralith on December 6th, 2014, 6:21 am 

That's not choosing to be happy, that's pretending to be happy. I'm not sure you will ever find some greater cosmic meaning that will justify happiness. I think choosing happiness in order to enrich your life and that of those you love is, again, enough. This doesn't mean you turn a blind eye to reality. It means you choose happiness anyway. But, I'm starting to sound preachy. This is not something you'll truly learn from a random person on the internet. Just try to stay open to the idea and think on it when times feel dark. And know you're not alone in your feelings.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby ThemDolphins on December 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm 

Mine is because of a song.
Last edited by ThemDolphins on December 11th, 2014, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThemDolphins
Forum Neophyte

Postby Watson on December 11th, 2014, 2:41 pm 

The link doesn't work for me but looking for your song I found this interesting bit on dolphins.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMqlF-SjNIY
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 5:18 pm 

I've had a lot of usernames on a lot of sites over the years.

Here, and on Amazon, Darby is simply my first name backwards (Brad) ... the 'y' is purely for reasons of disambiguation and phonetic fluidity.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 10th, 2015, 8:11 pm 

Hey, Brad, swap God for a jar of dog paws, Darby, eh?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Darby on March 10th, 2015, 9:18 pm 

By sheer serendipitous linguistic coincidence, yes. A little over ten years or so ago (I forget exactly) I served a stint as captain of The Dogs of War (TDOW) distributed computing team over at ArsTechnica. WOOF.
Darby

Postby Marshall on March 10th, 2015, 10:00 pm 

Amazing palindrome!
I looked for a similar palindrome on google and found "swap god for a j(anitor, rot in a j)ar of dog paws"

Hey Boon, swap god for a jar of dog paws, nooby, eh?

That was swift, BiV. :^)
Marshall
Honored Member

Postby Braininvat on March 11th, 2015, 10:06 am 

Sometimes compose them, when writing poetry....loosens up the muse.

Diagnoses: use song aid.

Deep spot-task: cut DNA spines, use nips and tucks at top speed.

Liam stops traffic, if fart spots mail.

Elf furnace can ruffle.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on March 11th, 2015, 10:49 am 

Darby » March 10th, 2015, 7:18 pm wrote:By sheer serendipitous linguistic coincidence, yes. A little over ten years or so ago (I forget exactly) I served a stint as captain of The Dogs of War (TDOW) distributed computing team over at ArsTechnica. WOOF.

I looked in over there, at a thread called Operation Pet Stain. The odor of geek sweat was too intense, even for me, and I had to withdraw rapidly. The topic was baffling, as expected when computer folk get together. Woof was about the only comment I could make sense of.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Darby on March 11th, 2015, 11:13 am 

Ah, sounds like my former packmates are still at it years later ... pet stain ... LOL. I wonder if they remember me.

Everyone should strive to be the best in the world at something at least once in their lives, even if it's nerdy, silly, or both. Life is short.

Once upon a time we (ArsTechnica, of which TDOW was the largest subteam during my stint) were the reigning world champs in distributed computing projects like SETI@Home, GIMPS, Human Genome, and several others.

See, slave ? I demonstrate yet arts no medieval sees !

(teasing) (;^P

Ok, back on topic ?
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 11th, 2015, 11:29 am 

What topic? Ah, yes, harumph, cough, cough...back on topic!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Darby on March 11th, 2015, 11:34 am 

BTW, aside from deft use, I can't take credit for the palindrome ... someone else penned that.
Darby

Postby Braininvat on March 11th, 2015, 12:45 pm 

Someone else?

Wonk - I wondered, now I know!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Marshall on April 29th, 2015, 10:11 pm 

Hi BiV, Darby, (palindromes were neat!) I don't want to make excessive fuss about usernames, one gets used to them and they are just names. But it is nice when people think up interesting ones.

And if you are not familiar with minerals you might like looking up the mineral eclogite and checking out some of the images.

I think in greek ec-legein means to make a selection. to select out. to make a mixture
I'm not sure why the german scholar who named the mineral that chose the name.
But it is a speckled mix of RED garnet and some shades of green from other content
and it is formed rather deep down where there is a lot of pressure that causes the mix of ingredients to combine and re-separate chemically and form this speckled mix of different color crystals.

It is formed below ocean subduction zones where various (calcium aluminum magnesium etc ) silicate rock gets dragged down and then it is only by some random accidents that it ever gets thrust up to the surface again.

BiV and Darby you both seem very knowledgeable and may well know about this mineral,but I thought it was interesting. Had no knowledge of it before.

I recall meeting a geologist on line who named himself OPHIOLITE. Maybe geologists like to name themselves after minerals. And perhaps our fellow SPCF member Eclogite is also a geologist or has worked in a related industry.
Just random info in case you might be interested.
Marshall
Honored Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area