Reason for usernames

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Reason for usernames

Postby Dave_Oblad on March 21st, 2012, 3:37 pm 

Hi folks,

I picked my Username to include both my real first and last names. It would have been interesting to have included the reasoning behind ones Avatar Image selection. Of course.. I use my own picture.

Reason? To protect my identity. See.. If you use a false name and cartoon picture, anybody can step in and claim to be you someday. Since my full name and pic is plastered all over the internet, it would be very hard for someone to truly steal my identity. Granted, they may impersonate me short-term, but that's also true for everyone else. But let me show up in court and my picture becomes my finger print.

I like being me. If I make a mistake publicly, then no big deal.. that simply makes me normal. I try to learn by my mistakes so mistakes are not always a bad thing. If I get something right, I'd like that to be remembered by the world.

That's all..

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vendigo on April 19th, 2012, 5:11 pm 

long time ago when I was in a period of gothic and darkness)))), I picked up a name of mythological creature with an ice heart. I got used to this nickname since that and now I was just lazy to seek for a new one XD
vendigo
Forum Neophyte

Postby Percarus on June 4th, 2012, 8:35 pm 

The reason I chose 'Percarus' for an username is because it sounded trendy and sophisticated at the time and no other user had adopted the handle in the whole wide world. I checked up latin references in regards to the name and it stands to mean 'very dear, much loved'. However, my initial research led me to believe the name actually had significance in relations to a heavenly angel being from mythological times. I have not been able to find that reference again since adopting this handle about ten years ago. :-)
Percarus
Banned User

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Mello on July 12th, 2012, 9:03 pm 

Mello is the name of a funny character in Death Note, an anime I like.
Mello
Forum Neophyte

Postby JohnD on July 31st, 2012, 1:40 am 

John D is my first name and my surname initial. I started using it when I worked for Myer department store in the fabric section and needed to buy a pair of scissors and have them engraved with my name.
My name was too long and so it was appropriate to shorten it and it's stuck.
My full name is John Diacono
JohnD

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby NeoTheseus on September 23rd, 2012, 12:49 pm 

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the story of Theseus. Long story short, the minotaur was half man & half bull or beast brought out by beastual lust. Theseus, as we are all animals, was animal that is a man dominated by reason which eventually overcame the man-beast.

Theseus was perhaps the first bullfighter. I'd like to think I battle against Bull as well. I also feel that that is the strength of a philosopher is the power of mentation or the power of thought. That is why I'm the NeoTheseus.
NeoTheseus

Postby NeoTheseus on September 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm 

KeenIdiot wrote:I'm an idiot, but I'm keen on scientific and philosophical topics so...

Used to go by ShadowSot fairly commonly, and before that RuneSpider, both were names I used on the fringe and conspiracy forums I congealed out of.

Sounds almost like the translation of Sophomore.
NeoTheseus

Postby robotr on October 31st, 2012, 11:35 pm 

Hello

Just found this forum - this is a good place as any to start.

I guess I chose my username because I am a robot dweeb when I get time to be one!

Cheers.
robotr
Forum Neophyte

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Symmetry on April 23rd, 2013, 5:11 pm 

Hello. I suppose this thread has been dead for some months, but it's stickied, and if you're reading this then it's no longer dead.

Anyway, I chose my username because I love patterns and symmetry quite a bit. Patterns in math, and in science, and in that fancy carpet in the hotel... all are wonderful in my eyes. I'm a huge geek, I guess, but I'm proud of it!

(And for those of you who watch anime or read manga, yes, that's Death the Kid in my profile picture. I actually only ever saw one episode of at a friends house, but from that I was able to glean that Death was basically a male version of myself on steroids).
Symmetry
Forum Neophyte

Postby psionic11 on April 25th, 2013, 2:20 pm 

psionic11 was the first username I created back in 1997 because "psionic" was already taken. It is an amalgamation of several of my interests, many of them stemming from my time at the University of Florida:

psi -- as in the Greek letter, which were used in fraternities. I flirted with the name psiphi, for the Trekkie in me, but it didn't have the ring that "psionic" had...

psi -- as in the proposed fundamental particle to explain the mechanisms by which precognition/clairvoyance (passive psi) and psychokinesis (active psi) all work, based on the experiments by J. B. Rhine and others. I was in a fledgling class called "Paranormal Events" hosted by the university's philosophy department.

psi -- as in the wave function, which I first encountered in a General Chemistry chapter on molecular resonances. Note that I also had recently read The Tao of Physics, and strongly resonated with the idea of wave phenomena as a fundamental principle underlying matter, energy, and their interactions.

-onic -- as in other technical or scientific sounding terms like ionic, electronic, bionic, cryonic...

To be fair, I was first exposed to the word "psionic" from my middle school Dungeons and Dragons roleplaying days.

The "11" part is a tribute to the band "311", one of my top 5 bands, the others being Rush, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jamiroquai, and Nine Inch Nails.
psionic11

Postby psionic11 on April 25th, 2013, 2:23 pm 

Haha, didn't realize this was a resurrected thread. I usually visit this forum by just clicking on the "What's New" link on the home page...
psionic11

Postby mtbturtle on April 26th, 2013, 8:00 pm 

Hi Symmetry welcome to the forums.

Good to see you psionic.

It's interesting to hear the inspirations, stories behind members' nicks. :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Recursion on July 21st, 2013, 11:53 am 

"To understand Recursion, you must understand Recursion."

"If you already know what recursion is, just remember the answer. Otherwise, find someone who is standing closer to Douglas Hofstadter than you are; then ask him or her what recursion is."
-Andrew Blotkin

Self-explanatory?
Recursion
Forum Neophyte

Postby adacromega on September 10th, 2013, 12:52 pm 

A combination of affixes
Ad-/ac-ro-/meg-a(ad-/ak-ruh-/mayg-ah)
to extreme greatness, or to the height of greatness
adacromega
Banned User

Postby sponge on September 12th, 2013, 10:01 am 

If you spell sponge backwards you get egnops. If you take the p out of egnops you get
EGNOS (European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service). This is Europe's first concrete venture into satellite navigation.

Then, if you take the e off the front of egnos and add ‘tic’ onto the end you get GNOSTIC (an adherent of Gnosticism – the search for fundamental knowledge).

Then, if you…
Oh okay! I chose the name because I’m fascinated by sponges - I mean the animals, not the bath, cake or scrounger varieties – lame, I know, but there it is.
sponge

Postby weakmagneto on September 14th, 2013, 8:08 pm 

sponge wrote:If you spell sponge backwards you get egnops. If you take the p out of egnops you get
EGNOS (European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service). This is Europe's first concrete venture into satellite navigation.

Then, if you take the e off the front of egnos and add ‘tic’ onto the end you get GNOSTIC (an adherent of Gnosticism – the search for fundamental knowledge).

Then, if you…
Oh okay! I chose the name because I’m fascinated by sponges - I mean the animals, not the bath, cake or scrounger varieties – lame, I know, but there it is.

I'm partial to the cake myself... :)
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby sponge on September 15th, 2013, 11:04 am 

weakmagneto wrote:I'm partial to the cake myself... :)

And me!!
Wanna good recipe?

http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/spongebob-cake.html
sponge

Postby owleye on December 1st, 2013, 9:16 am 

Announcement. Beginning with my just prior post, a one word response to what it was like prior to the invention of religion (or something like that), I will no longer append my first name to my postings, with the idea that I've been here long enough now that folks will recognize that I'm not trying to say anything by the username I chose. If instead of owleye, folks still wish to refer to me by my first name, I'll not object, though as time goes forward (at least in how we think it does), I suspect my first name will dim to those who follow me on the discussion boards. (Note that at my age I'll probably forget from time to time and out of habit include it. We'll see. For now it will seem as if I've left my pants down.)
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Braininvat on January 27th, 2014, 11:11 am 

I'm Paul. The name comes from the "brain in the vat" conundrum, and I use it ironically. I would never put my brain in some stinking vat, no matter how good the virtual hookups. I picked the moniker casually, and now I regret that I didn't pick "Diracula," as in Paul Dirac plus Dracula. But I'd probably end up hating that one, too. YMMV.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Cerebrum on March 28th, 2014, 8:45 pm 

I picked mine because cerebrum means brain on latin and i like brain as organ and brain fascinates me.
Cerebrum

Postby Braininvat on March 31st, 2014, 10:16 am 

"Brain? Brain? What is 'Brain'??"

"You are not Morg. You are not Imorg. What ARE you?"

-- Star Trek: OS, "Spock's Brain"
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Cerebrum on March 31st, 2014, 11:48 am 

Brain is a word that consists of five letters B R A I N.
Cerebrum

Postby Starmetal on March 31st, 2014, 7:27 pm 

I chose starmetal because I have a huge interest in meteorites. My first post was about a 395 lb meteorite that I've found and am trying to get to the bottom of.

As a child one of my favorite cartoons was Conan. The premise was his father had found a meteorite and forged it into several weapons including a sword for his son. Evil reptile-like men starting taking over the world and one touch from Conan's sword would transport them to an etheral type hell. Anyway that's what they called the metal that came from these meteorites was Starmetal.

Most iron meteorites contain iron and nickel which are core components of stainless steel. This makes them much heavier than terrestrial rocks and easy to spot. Stainless is harder and holds a better edge than regular steel and won't rust. Very tempting to someone living a few thousand years ago.

At any rate, I had to pick a name and that's what popped into my head first, so I typed it in. I have since found many great discussions on here and am glad to be a member.
Starmetal

Postby Hendrick Laursen on April 14th, 2014, 6:43 am 

I chose Hendrick Laursen, not because it's my real name, but Hendrick starts with 'H' like my real name. And am no fan of the famous one, just a name, to keep the ball rolling.

On my Avatar? Who can guess what is this?
*..>*
Yours
Hend
Hendrick Laursen

Postby Braininvat on April 14th, 2014, 12:15 pm 

There is a famous Hendrick Laursen? Your avatar appears to be the famous 12-pointed star of the island nation of Nauru. Each point symbolizes one month of the year in which you avoided Little Debbie bakery products. After a year, called the Long Dark Year of the Soul, there is a Spam Feast, to celebrate your liberation.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Hendrick Laursen on April 15th, 2014, 3:44 am 

Well, it's not that. It's the main logo of Fathisoft corporation.
Hendrick Laursen

Postby Mathwoman1 on April 22nd, 2014, 10:29 pm 

I believe my username is self-explanatory
Mathwoman = I am a woman love math and my degrees are in mathematics
Mathwoman1
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on April 23rd, 2014, 11:57 am 

Well, you got to it first! Now all the other math women who arrive will have to settle for "mathwoman2" or higher integers. Though "mathwoman0" could sneak in, too. And let's not rule out transcendental math women, like "mathwomanpi."
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby AmAzInG on April 27th, 2014, 6:50 pm 

i was drunk.
AmAzInG
Forum Neophyte

Postby Heisenberg893 on May 5th, 2014, 12:22 am 

I'm a big Breaking Bad fan, and Werner Heisenberg was a great physicist.
Heisenberg893
Forum Neophyte

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area