Is it Spring Yet?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Postby mtbturtle on May 1st, 2013, 11:31 pm 

It got into the 70s! for a few days but now maybe more snow tonight *sigh*

mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on May 6th, 2013, 7:52 am 

I think, yes, it is. I'll be watching for the fiddleheads to break through. Not as early or colorful as in mbt's yard, but the snow is gone and the yard is drying out. Soon I'll be cutting the lawn, ever 5 days. No, it is not a complaint.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 3:01 pm 

My friends and I are heading up to the Eagle River Wisconsin area for a week this Friday, and I have been rather anxiously watching this thread for some good news about the weather conditions up north. For some odd reason, the place has no heat, and I am of course afraid that we will freeze to death at night. Any good news here in regards to the weather for the weekend, and next week anyone?

Also, does anyone know of some good places to eat in this area? And has anyone been eaten by any bears in the recent past? Are the natives friendly as long as you don't mention the Chicago Bears?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on May 7th, 2013, 3:10 pm 

ronjanec wrote:My friends and I are heading up to the Eagle River Wisconsin area for a week this Friday, and I have been rather anxiously watching this thread for some good news about the weather conditions up north. For some odd reason, the place has no heat, and I am of course afraid that we will freeze to death at night. Any good news here in regards to the weather for the weekend, and next week anyone?

pack long johns
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 3:17 pm 

mtbturtle wrote:
ronjanec wrote:My friends and I are heading up to the Eagle River Wisconsin area for a week this Friday, and I have been rather anxiously watching this thread for some good news about the weather conditions up north. For some odd reason, the place has no heat, and I am of course afraid that we will freeze to death at night. Any good news here in regards to the weather for the weekend, and next week anyone?

pack long johns

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear mtbturtle! It's still that cold up there? I do not own any 'long johns', so you may not see any more posts from poor little me after this Thursday(sob)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on May 7th, 2013, 3:19 pm 

And bagpipes. I read somewhere once that bears cannot abide the sound of bagpipes and will run a mile after the first few bars of "Scotland the Brave"

We don't have bears in this country so I intend to one day validate this theory on our own favourite man-eater, the salt-water crocodile. ( After setting my affairs in order )

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 3:35 pm 

Obvious Leo wrote:And bagpipes. I read somewhere once that bears cannot abide the sound of bagpipes and will run a mile after the first few bars of "Scotland the Brave"

We don't have bears in this country so I intend to one day validate this theory on our own favourite man-eater, the salt-water crocodile. ( After setting my affairs in order )

Regards Leo

I am a chicken and afraid of bears, and hope that they are still in hibernation up there or at least until I come back home. Yeah, I probably wouldn't even leave the house if I lived "down under" like you do Leo!

I do in fact have "Scotland the Brave" on my iPod, so maybe I could hook this up to some speakers, and then play this real loud if I see one.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Ursa Minimus on May 7th, 2013, 3:44 pm 

Obvious Leo wrote:And bagpipes. I read somewhere once that bears cannot abide the sound of bagpipes ...

If by "bears" you mean "living beings with ears", I think that is proven fact.

Obviously this means people who claim to like bagpipe music are actually the undead. It's the only rational explanation.
Ursa Minimus

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 3:55 pm 

Ursa Minimus wrote:
Obvious Leo wrote:And bagpipes. I read somewhere once that bears cannot abide the sound of bagpipes ...

If by "bears" you mean "living beings with ears", I think that is proven fact.

Obviously this means people who claim to like bagpipe music are actually the undead. It's the only rational explanation.

Really? You must not be Irish or Scottish Ursa. We actually had bagpipe music at my mom's funeral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq8DUPxkgWU "Scotland the Brave"
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on May 7th, 2013, 4:22 pm 

ronjanec wrote:
mtbturtle wrote:

pack long johns

That is definitely not what I wanted to hear mtbturtle! It's still that cold up there? I do not own any 'long johns', so you may not see any more posts from poor little me after this Thursday(sob)

yah looks like Eagle River is up north and it might dip into the 30s at night. Kinda chilly for sleeping with no heat!
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Ursa Minimus on May 7th, 2013, 4:24 pm 

ronjanec wrote:
Really? You must not be Irish or Scottish Ursa. We actually had bagpipe music at my mom's funeral.

No, I am not. But I do admit to liking bagpipes on occasion.

I M A zombie bear, obviously.
Ursa Minimus

Postby Obvious Leo on May 7th, 2013, 4:25 pm 

Ursa. I've heard similar observations made about the piano accordion, an instrument I used to play with great gusto in a Zydeco band. In fact one of our band members once offered this definition of a true gentleman.

One who can play the piano accordion but doesn't.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 4:35 pm 

yah looks like Eagle River is up north and it might dip into the 30s at night. Kinda chilly for sleeping with no heat![/quote]

I guess my remembering to bring my swimsuit is probably something that I should not be too concerned with right mtbturtle? My friends will probably all get drunk as skunks during the daytime, and not even notice that is really cold at night.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 4:46 pm 

Ursa Minimus wrote:
ronjanec wrote:

No, I am not. But I do admit to liking bagpipes on occasion.

I M A zombie bear, obviously.

Ursa,

They many times play the bagpipes at the police and firemen's funerals here in Chicago, so we get used to hearing this a lot unfortunately. At my mom's funeral, we did this to honor her personally, and of course her native land, but I still remember how this really broke my heart hearing this at her funeral.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on May 7th, 2013, 4:49 pm 

I've got this mental image of Ron and mates packing the car for their excursion. It's quite an alliterative checklist. Blankets, bullets, beer, bible and bagpipes.
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 5:05 pm 

Obvious Leo wrote:I've got this mental image of Ron and mates packing the car for their excursion. It's quite an alliterative checklist. Blankets, bullets, beer, bible and bagpipes.

Yeah, with my best friends, I am pretty sure that there won't be any Bible studies going on next week Leo. We kind of have a long standing agreement, that I am not allowed to mention this kind of thing very often unfortunately.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 7th, 2013, 5:28 pm 

yah looks like Eagle River is up north and it might dip into the 30s at night. Kinda chilly for sleeping with no heat!

That's like close to freezing. Just zip your hoody up to your noise, and you'll be fine. Dream happy thoughts of warm places, and pray you never find out what real cold is like.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on May 7th, 2013, 5:54 pm 

Watson wrote:

That's like close to freezing. Just zip your hoody up to your noise, and you'll be fine. Dream happy thoughts of warm places, and pray you never find out what real cold is like.

Watson, one of my friends that is also coming on the trip actually lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida(!) When I go down to visit him and his wife in the winter(of course), they think it is "really cold" when it gets down into the fifties at night! This should be interesting.

Being from Chicago, I am also afraid that I will go into pizza "withdrawals" after a week or so of living up there in the North Woods, but at least there is always a not too horrible Tombstone "pizza" available up here, if the shaking and sweating gets really bad.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 8th, 2013, 12:48 am 

Do you have heat in the idling car? The colder it gets, the less you may find your passenger's care about the price of idle gas.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby owleye on May 8th, 2013, 8:59 am 

The farmers are out plowing their fertile fields at long last. A short season doesn't mean they can skip it. Lakes are still ice packed. The train traffic has mushroomed. Daily crossings have more than doubled and are expected to rise over the next 5 years or so. We don't expect up here to get any over-crossings, so schedule your own to avoid counting tanker cars as they pass by.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Watson on May 8th, 2013, 10:57 am 

The fishing opens this weekend, but we are going to be hard pressed to find a open water. I was kidding when I said I be ice fishing. I wonder if I can use the two ice fishing rods, or just the one regular rod?

James, I don't quite understand your comments about trains and over-crossings.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby owleye on May 9th, 2013, 9:57 am 

When we lived in Silicon Valley, automobiles stopped by trains crossing "expressways" meant building over-crossings. Though funding of bridges so that train and automobile intersections were unimpeded in California reflects the priorities of Californians, especially so in Southern California, where I was born and raised. Out here in America's great farmland, where homesteading is still alive, life takes a slower pace, excepting of course that now that there are boom towns in North Dakota and that tanker traffic through the area is significantly on the rise, and that there is a Wal-mart opened up on the other side of the tracks in Wadena, my guess is that folks won't be all that perturbed by having to wait to cross while the tankers whoosh by. The ever present and fervent sound of the train whistle will probably lull them into complacency with a "this too shall pass" sentiment. And it will.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Watson on May 9th, 2013, 10:15 am 

It was the terminology that threw me. We call it an overpass. Another thing you may notice is the length of trains can be about double their length compared to winter.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on May 9th, 2013, 9:50 pm 

owleye wrote:When we lived in Silicon Valley, automobiles stopped by trains crossing "expressways" meant building over-crossings. Though funding of bridges so that train and automobile intersections were unimpeded in California reflects the priorities of Californians, especially so in Southern California, where I was born and raised. Out here in America's great farmland, where homesteading is still alive, life takes a slower pace, excepting of course that now that there are boom towns in North Dakota and that tanker traffic through the area is significantly on the rise, and that there is a Wal-mart opened up on the other side of the tracks in Wadena, my guess is that folks won't be all that perturbed by having to wait to cross while the tankers whoosh by. The ever present and fervent sound of the train whistle will probably lull them into complacency with a "this too shall pass" sentiment. And it will.

James

And the occasionally fatal lapse in concentration is only to be expected I guess. We have the same problem in the Aussie hinterland.

Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 31st, 2013, 6:10 pm 

Now more snow, but I'm still wearing a parka on occasion, like today.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on March 31st, 2014, 8:47 pm 

Time to re-activate this thread. Anyone out there enjoying spring yet? Looking out my window -- THERE IS A BLIZZARD!!! Supposed to get 30 cm today. :(

Cheer me up, somebody? Anyone growing flowers yet?
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby BioWizard on March 31st, 2014, 9:11 pm 

YES! Just went for a 10K run. Beautiful afternoon weather, 75F all clear skies.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Dave_Oblad on March 31st, 2014, 9:22 pm 

Hi Weakmagneto,

The Lattice on the left side of my house is blooming with Fuchsia Colored Flowers and the bushes in front are covered in Yellow Flowers. The lawn is green, the sky is blue.. and all is well in my world at around 75' F.

MyHouse.JPG
View of my House looking westwards

You can click the image for a closer look but use back-arrow to return to this page.

It's SoCal.. and we had a 5.3 Earthquake last Friday (March28-2014).. but no damage. Just some scared pets...lol.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby owleye on April 1st, 2014, 8:51 am 

Well, the snow has returned and has covered what appeared to be the hope that spring is nigh. Note that having been raised in Los Angeles, I'm not aware that there are seasons there, unless of course one thinks of it having a rainy season, lasting not more than one or two days.
owleye
Honored Member

Postby weakmagneto on April 1st, 2014, 10:50 am 

Nice to hear about your delightful climate, BW and DO. :) We got almost 50 cm of snow last night. I have declared a snow day and fully intend to fill my day up with springtime images and related videos! I have hope that spring will return. AND I shall refrain from looking out my window at the blowing snow! :S
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area