Is it Spring Yet?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Postby Obvious Leo on April 27th, 2014, 6:47 pm 

Athena. Good to see you're doing your bit for global warming. Bio-char is also an excellent method of carbon sequestration. I'm not doing it now but have done so in the past.

Athena wrote:I use milk jugs and beer for getting rid of slugs

Slugs are well-known pissheads and this method works very well. So does a sharp sand with crushed eggshells blended through it but I don't like this method which strikes me as inhumane, even for a slug. The beer trick also works fine with an ordinary plastic bottle lying on its side, but after my youngest son has been for a visit I never have any beer left on the entire estate.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby weakmagneto on April 30th, 2014, 9:27 pm 

Sorry for the delay in response everyone, but I've been busy as of late. I would love to play host to each and every one of you this summer! August is the best time for a visit as our national bird, "the mosquito", begins to decrease in numbers. I could envision one super delicious potluck feast! ;)

The snowbanks are melting here, black bears are foraging in dumpsters and lots of birds are having sex. The lakes are still covered with ice, not many insects out, but no dogs running in random packs yet. Spring is almost here I suspect...
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby BioWizard on April 30th, 2014, 9:32 pm 

You guys are having a party? Without me?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Obvious Leo on April 30th, 2014, 10:48 pm 

Athena wrote: I like thinking the slugs die happy.

Just yesterday this reminded me of a very old joke. Forgive me if you've heard it before. It concerns Paddy the Irishman who drowned in a vat of Guinness. When the tragic news was brought home to his grief-stricken wife she asked "Was it a merciful and quick death?" "Alas no missus" came the response "he had to get out three times for a pee".

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Watson on May 3rd, 2014, 12:24 pm 

I was getting a bit concerned all my snow was melting. Thankfully it is snowing today.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on May 3rd, 2014, 4:41 pm 

Watson, if your avatar wasn't a clue, I'm guessing you live someplace like Canada. I enjoy the dry humor with which you greet the chilly insults of mother nature.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on May 3rd, 2014, 5:41 pm 

It is one of my paintings. If I could figure out how to change it I put more of them up. Then you might suppose the clue is of France or Africa, England or Iceland. As it is, someone here helped me get this one up, and any attempts to change it fail because of to many pixels. And so it goes.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Athena on May 6th, 2014, 10:17 am 

Birds having sex, is what I look for. I noticed some time ago by Valentines Day the ducks were pairing off. Come to think of it. I haven't seen many babies yet. Just one group of about 6. I saw a male and female that looked like teenagers, and wonder if they will have babies soon. I am so fortunate to live in a city that is so full of wild life.

But do not hand feed the squirrels! When squirrels are hand fed they loose their fear of people, and will bit if you get too close and do not feed them. As they have a right to a toll before you pass.

I am sure I would want bears in my neighborhood. The small animals are enough. Deer are okay, but again one should not too close because they have a kick that can break a person's leg. Or so the man said, when I tried to figure out how to get a hit deer into my truck, so I could take it to the vet. Then he snapped the deers neck. It might be more difficult to snap a bear's neck?

Oh we have had a report of cougar with a cub, and I don't want to run into run into them. I think they are further out of town.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Watson on May 14th, 2014, 10:37 am 

OK, does anyone else have snow falling? It's not staying, but come on. It's the middle of May. This is ridiculous.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby owleye on May 14th, 2014, 10:58 am 

Watson » Wed May 14, 2014 8:37 am wrote:OK, does anyone else have snow falling? It's not staying, but come on. It's the middle of May. This is ridiculous.

Hereabouts the lakes are finally unfrozen, but up at the Angle (the Northwest Angle, the odd tip of the U.S. into Canadian waters within the Lake of the Woods), the lake is still iced over. Many here are bemoaning the lack of sun and the accompanying rain, and the low temps. (It was after all the coldest winter anyone has remembered.) However, the "lack of sun" for us who have only recently moved in, is much better than it was in the Puget Sound area, in which what you get there are "sun breaks". We like the sun here, even if it results in lowering the temperature. Hail the almighty lumen.

And besides, golfing, fishing, hunting are in full swing, not that I participate in any of these.

Right now. Up from an earlier 39F to 43F. Whoopdeedo!
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Braininvat on May 14th, 2014, 1:53 pm 

Watson » May 14th, 2014, 8:37 am wrote:OK, does anyone else have snow falling? It's not staying, but come on. It's the middle of May. This is ridiculous.

Unseasonable patches all over northern plains. We were in western South Dakota last weekend and there had been quite a few areas with snow. Someone said there had been 13 inches on part of the Pine Ridge and around the Badlands. More snow fell around there after we left on Sunday. I think this so-called Spring will be one for the record books.

Still prefer this to Puget Sound or the PNW generally. Those endless gray skies make you feel like your inner battery has run down.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Athena on May 15th, 2014, 9:10 pm 

It is summer already! No kidding, we are having a heat wave. We are already having days over 80 degrees. Not a good thing. This heat is coming way too early. I wanted to replant my lettuce, because my first planting did so poorly. I couldn't get the weeds out in time. Like I had to help a friend out for a week, and now my garden is a disaster. The heat is too much for planting lettuce now. I am really discouraged! I have to change my plan and go with vegetables that like hot weather.
Athena
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on May 25th, 2014, 7:37 pm 

It took long enough getting here. Hopefully, spring has made its way up to Watson by now!

The Daffodils are in full swing.

Daffodil & Bee 2014 Spring

Flower Drift Daffodil 2014 Spring

Sunny Daffodils 2014 Spring

Sunny Girl Daffodil 2014 Spring
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby weakmagneto on May 25th, 2014, 8:11 pm 

I dunno why there are no "like" buttons in this thread but I really like some of the previous comments and mtb's pics above. Beautiful! :)

It is hot here today. The leaves have begun to bud, my daffodils are displaying a brilliant yellow, dandelions are in full bloom, and mosquitoes were having a welcome back feast on my right leg early this morning.

There were multiple species of northern animals near the road on my late drive to and from my house last night. The majority of them being moose.

I am not looking forward to the spruce beetles' (pictured) mating season. They come out in the thousands around my community and proceed to land on any human out and about making for an interesting horrific dance of beetle removal or avoidance. I call it the "spruce beetle shuffle". Sometimes the screams are amusing until it is your turn. They're about one inch in length. I was bitten by one last year and it scraped my skin very deeply as I tried to remove it from my neck! :S
Attachments
spuce-bug.jpg
weakmagneto

Postby Watson on May 25th, 2014, 11:05 pm 

Yes spring has reach us here, finally.

Thank you for your concern. It is almost fall.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Athena on May 26th, 2014, 1:30 pm 

weakmagneto » May 25th, 2014, 6:11 pm wrote:I dunno why there are no "like" buttons in this thread but I really like some of the previous comments and mtb's pics above. Beautiful! :)

It is hot here today. The leaves have begun to bud, my daffodils are displaying a brilliant yellow, dandelions are in full bloom, and mosquitoes were having a welcome back feast on my right leg early this morning.

There were multiple species of northern animals near the road on my late drive to and from my house last night. The majority of them being moose.

I am not looking forward to the spruce beetles' (pictured) mating season. They come out in the thousands around my community and proceed to land on any human out and about making for an interesting horrific dance of beetle removal or avoidance. I call it the "spruce beetle shuffle". Sometimes the screams are amusing until it is your turn. They're about one inch in length. I was bitten by one last year and it scraped my skin very deeply as I tried to remove it from my neck! :S

Can you eat the bugs like some people eat locust?
Athena
Banned User

Postby Watson on May 26th, 2014, 2:26 pm 

Geographically we are not to far apart, yet I don't see this beetles in large numbers. I have seen them but usually a single one, and it never seemed interested in me.
They maybe very tasty but I'm quite sure I'll never find out.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on May 26th, 2014, 7:01 pm 

Athena » May 26th, 2014, 11:30 am wrote:
weakmagneto » May 25th, 2014, 6:11 pm wrote:I dunno why there are no "like" buttons in this thread but I really like some of the previous comments and mtb's pics above. Beautiful! :)

Can you eat the bugs like some people eat locust?

I have squashed a bunch and they are mostly shell and green gunk. Not real appetizing. :)

Watson: These beetles love spruce trees which aren't really popular in your area.
weakmagneto

Postby Athena on June 2nd, 2014, 11:48 am 

We appear to be having normal spring weather now. Cool in the morning and warm in the afternoon. But I am sure we haven't had enough rain, because I am having to water my garden.

Fortunately, my lettuce is doing well, and the slugs are not destroying everything. Hey, I put out a lot of crushed egg shells and they disappeared when the slugs were attacking my lettuce. Is it possible the army of slugs did not survive crossing my egg shell defense line? I also cut down vegetation from the boarder of my plot and in general it is drier.

Laugh, instead of being here writing about my garden, I should be in the garden working before the day gets warm. There is still a lot of work to do. I need to add leaf mulch, but that could encourage slugs. What do you think? Should I mulch or not? I hate dealing with weeds and watering, and my clay soil really needs the mulch. Some areas of the garden are still so hard when the ground is dry, I can't hoe the weeds out.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Watson on June 2nd, 2014, 2:22 pm 

Mulch is good and also add some sand to soften the soil. Have you tried beer on the slugs? Put some beer in a plastic container with a lid with holes in the lid. Just bury it to ground level. It will attract the slugs into the holes and you can dispose of them in the morning.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Athena on June 3rd, 2014, 10:35 am 

Watson » June 2nd, 2014, 12:22 pm wrote:Mulch is good and also add some sand to soften the soil. Have you tried beer on the slugs? Put some beer in a plastic container with a lid with holes in the lid. Just bury it to ground level. It will attract the slugs into the holes and you can dispose of them in the morning.

Thanks, I know I need sand, but didn't get it would make the soil softer. I wonder if the city would care if I took sand left by the river? I could buy sand, but it id sold in truck loads, and don't have a truck anymore.

Yes, I put some really good tasting beer in a milk jug with a hole cut in the side. It was on sale. I am afraid I could become alcoholic with beer that taste that good. It makes me feel better to think I kill slugs in a nice way.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Watson on June 3rd, 2014, 11:25 am 

The clay drys hard as pottery so the sand and mulch less firm, is my thinking. Also the river sand would have lots of nutrients for your plants.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on April 5th, 2015, 9:52 am 

Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby mtbturtle on April 5th, 2015, 2:30 pm 

Been a gentle Spring but there is snow in the forecast for tonight. Snow for Easter!
only crocuses blooming so far
These were supposed to be orange - they are a dark golden

Imagegold crocus by mtbturtle101,
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 5th, 2015, 3:21 pm 

We have double digit lows for the next two nights, but leading to double digit highs later in the week. Just in time cause my wood pile is gone and I'm cutting up pallets. I hope we are done with the snow.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 16th, 2015, 5:22 pm 

I have standard yellow daffodils planted in a number of spots and they have begun to bloom. They are always the first daffodil each year to bloom.

Image1st daff closeup

Image1st daffodils each year spring 2015
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 20th, 2015, 11:49 am 

After such nice weather, it was very sad to wake up to snow on the ground.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 20th, 2015, 11:59 am 

Just the final farewell, Watson.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on April 20th, 2015, 12:34 pm 

We had almost no snow here, in the Black Hills, part of the general drought plaguing the West. Last snowfall was in February, and it wasn't much. But we had a good soaking rain the past 2 days. Where I mostly grew up, in southern Kansas, snow in April was pretty much unheard of, always came as rain by then. I think daffodils came up about a month earlier than Turtle's, in that area.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby mtbturtle on April 21st, 2015, 7:43 am 

Watson,

There is snow and rain in the forecast for today.
mtbturtle
Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area