Is it Spring Yet?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Is it Spring Yet?

Postby mtbturtle on April 7th, 2013, 3:41 pm 

Just starting to melt...
Spring Yet!?! backyard sm

first signs
Snowdrop sm
mtbturtle
Banned User

Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Postby ronjanec on April 7th, 2013, 7:18 pm 

Hang in there mtbturtle: We had a 70 yesterday, and a 60 today in Chicago, so I believe it will also warm up where you are very soon. It's been a long cold lonely winter......
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on April 7th, 2013, 9:58 pm 

Don't feel so bad. It is still snowing here on and off. This is a pic of my driveway. I added my medium-sized dog in there for scale. Some of the bank you seen has started melting today as it was finally 3 degrees out.
Attachments
My driveway.jpg
My driveway April 2013
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Obvious Leo on April 7th, 2013, 10:56 pm 

If you take the trouble to look at our planet the right way up you will note that it is in fact autumn now. Leaves are falling and native plants need pruning so I'm off into my garden.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby mtbturtle on April 8th, 2013, 10:23 am 

I could use a few days in the 70s to get rid of the last of the snow Ron!

Weakmagneto, I was wondering how you and some of the other far northerners were doing. That's how things looked here last week so hang in there!

Leo, surely you wouldn't begrudge us some sunrays for having endured all this white stuff.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Obvious Leo on April 8th, 2013, 1:33 pm 

Indeed not mtb. I've been reading about the tough time you've been having of it weatherwise in your part of the world. I'm quite certain I couldn't handle it, being stuck indoors for months on end. Where I live in the sub-alpine country we also have fairly severe winters but nothing like yours in the northern U.S. Snow is actually a welcome novelty once or twice a year, as long as it disappears quickly.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Watson on April 8th, 2013, 4:45 pm 

It disappears quickly here, but quickly as measured on the calendar, not measured on your watch. Now it can go in reverse as measured by your watch.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby mtbturtle on April 10th, 2013, 10:26 pm 

I would be out there in the garden with you Leo if the snow would just go away! I thought we were out of the woods. It rained all day yesterday and then turned to snow overnight. Might get up to 12" more tonight.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby yadayada on April 10th, 2013, 11:43 pm 

Lots of snow plus a late late spring is a bad combination in the North

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/rfc/EGFM ... eekint.gif

yadayada
Banned User

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby weakmagneto on April 15th, 2013, 7:20 pm 

It is still snowing here today. We got about 5 - 10 cm. :(
weakmagneto

Postby Watson on April 15th, 2013, 7:25 pm 

Watson wrote:It disappears quickly here, but quickly as measured on the calendar, not measured on your watch. Now it can go in reverse as measured by your watch.

This would be a nice day with some snow, if it was 2 months ago.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on April 17th, 2013, 9:24 pm 

Still snow covered here. Still walking on ski doo and snowshoe trails in the bush during a light snowfall. We're getting even more snow now and throughout the week. Usually the dandelions are out by now. sniffle sniffle Where are you spring?
Attachments
aaspring.jpg
weakmagneto

Postby mtbturtle on April 17th, 2013, 9:34 pm 

We didn't get the foot of snow they threatened last week, but it has snow/rain/sleet/ice/repeat everyday for almost a week. The rain helped melt the snow. My garden is once again almost snow free. It looks about like the picture from 10 days ago. Spring is coming magneto she's just taking her time. Probably lingering down in Leo's garden.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby owleye on April 17th, 2013, 10:10 pm 

Well, we got dumped on in Fargo last night, woke up to a blanket of snow on the car, where I used my motel key card as a scraper. By the time I got done, I had to start all over. Up to that point of the trip, it all went well. It appears the storm didn't get much past Fargo, however, and it's more calm as we reached Detroit Lakes. However, I hear tonight will bring the storm farther east, just in time for our trip to Brainerd. Anyone remember the movie Fargo?

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby yadayada on April 17th, 2013, 10:13 pm 

10-day forecast for North Dakota: Sat Apr 20 daytime temp will top 40f and will stay above for the following week. Time to defrost the champagne and man the dams?
yadayada
Banned User

Postby Obvious Leo on April 17th, 2013, 10:32 pm 

mtb. I've been very active in my garden but not today. Cold and wet with a decidedly wintry feel about it. Nothing like what you guys are pleased to call spring, however. Bbrrr...

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby yadayada on April 18th, 2013, 7:19 pm 

It doesn't much matter anymore, but this is what happened this winter. As we know, the arctic jet circles the north counterclockwise (great word, with almost germanic concatenations -- a few more syllables would do it) at about the US-Canada border. Usually, there are five or six attached lobes of low pressure centers that dip further south, and the pattern slowly circles, West to East, like a rolling gear. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_HiBj0teRY

This year, arctic frigid air repeatedly pushed further south, just east of the Rockies, down through the Midwest. This was countered a bit further east, by a northerly monsoon-like rain pattern streaming through Texas, Minnesota, and the Great Lakes.

NorthAmericaWeather.jpg

jetstream.jpg

Notice, that we, in New York had an unusually mild and dry winter. Three or four potential blizzards forked around us, blessing New England and the Carolinas.

yadayada
Banned User

Postby Obvious Leo on April 18th, 2013, 7:48 pm 

We're not easily out-Germanised downunder.

The El Nino/La Nina southernoscillatory effects produce similar patterns in the southern hemisphere. However in our case ocean temperatures play a larger role by triggering the changed atmospheric conditions.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on April 19th, 2013, 4:08 pm 

Hello from SFL

IMG_3573[1].JPG
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby owleye on April 19th, 2013, 9:52 pm 

We had a sunny day, today. Possibly the same tomorrow, but snow on Sunday. However, it looks like it will be warming up. I'm predicting the snow will be mostly gone in a week or two. Can spring be around the corner? Our movers decided on a more southerly route -- taking I-80 across. They got snowed in in Wyoming and were delayed three days. Monday is now the latest estimate.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 21st, 2013, 8:57 am 

BioWizard wrote:Hello from SFL

obviously photoshopped lies!
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 21st, 2013, 12:43 pm 

A sure sign of spring is the first Robin of the season. This on the day of the last snow, one hopes. Yesterday I was pumping the water from the yard and today it is mildly frozen. So I'll stay inside.
A gentle heat from the wood stove is all that is needed to stay warm, so there is hope. This is good as I'm now burning the flats once used to keep the split wood off the ground. I also have several pieces of well season antique furniture, if spring is further delayed.
I too, long for the day I can tend to may garden. I started several plants on the kitchen counter, and they are doing well enough. Sad to think I may be harvesting from the same location.
I look forward to the spring fishing season opening in a few weeks. On the first day I'll be there, on the lake with my auger and ice fishing gear.
There are those with much more serious things complain about than the weather, so I think I'll zip the hood back on my parka, and go for a walk. This may be the last time for awhile I'll be able to enjoy the gentle snow drifting down and vanishing, like it was just passing through the earth. These are the days I'll think of when I hear people complaining about the summer heat.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby owleye on April 23rd, 2013, 9:25 am 

It's now Tuesday and sunny. Movers arrived! Hallelujah! Snow still on ground, though finally melting. It's been a long winter here and folks are grumpy. I believe we are in the midst of turkey hunting season. They take make their daily stroll by our house and apparently roost in the pines during the evening. Taking my dog on her outing will probably work to keep them from being a nuisance. Fun to watch, though.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 24th, 2013, 9:40 pm 

James,

I tried to warn you about the weather. Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion if you aren't familiar with might help you understand your new surroundings, particularly the weather.

http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2013/04/20/nflw_20130420_64.mp3?_kip_ipx=977559319-1366853567

"Snow a lot of snow, people are discouraged...Closed for business don't ask. don't ask...People not speaking in complete sentences."
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 26th, 2013, 7:23 pm 

Yes it is. A couple of flies out and several motorcycles passing by. But will it last? We have had snow in May.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on April 26th, 2013, 7:32 pm 

Saturday 9.30 am. Perfect sunshine. Light breeze. 22 degrees C. Football on the radio. I go to prune my callistemons, a joyful task to be ticked off before the winter shuts them down.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby owleye on April 30th, 2013, 8:08 am 

mtbturtle wrote:James,

I tried to warn you about the weather. Garrison Keillor's A Prairie Home Companion if you aren't familiar with might help you understand your new surroundings, particularly the weather.

http://download.publicradio.org/podcast/nflw/2013/04/20/nflw_20130420_64.mp3?_kip_ipx=977559319-1366853567

"Snow a lot of snow, people are discouraged...Closed for business don't ask. don't ask...People not speaking in complete sentences."

Quite familiar with Garrison... One of the great story-tellers of our time. Also an extraordinary reader of poetry. Also have in my possession a tale by a Californian, having moved to Minnesota, about the world of snow-shoveling, which begins with the delight of doing so at first snow-fall mid-December, but by year's end, it becomes so much more of the white-stuff. I chuckle every time time I read it.

BTW Snow's pretty much gone and I finally have internet service. Still moving in, with the headaches that accompany it. Will take it slow on returning to philosophy.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Watson on April 30th, 2013, 9:54 am 

We have snow in the forecast. Better to think of it as the first snow of summer. Keep the shovel by the back door.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby owleye on April 30th, 2013, 8:39 pm 

I might add that Watson could be speaking for us as well. Locals are saying this is not something they've seen in their lifetime. Ottertail lake won't be open in time for fishing season. However, our golf course may be able to open up tee times by this weekend. The westerlies came in strong today. Started with full sun, but within minutes it completely clouded over, and with the same suddenness later to be fully sunny for much of the rest of the day. By early evening, the temperature had dropped more than 20 degrees F and clouds began to dominate once again. Another 10 degrees and we probably can count on snow, though it appears to be a dry wind.

James
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Watson on April 30th, 2013, 11:06 pm 

Ottertail lake won't be open in time for fishing season.

Like I said earlier, I'll be there with auger and ice fishin' gear. Are you thinking twice about the move. This time last year, we were half way through summer. We did get a lot of rain earlier and some snow. Further north and west got a lot of snow. And there has been some flash flooding and the Red and Assiniboine water has risen by a few feet is a short time. The ice flows are a concern in some areas. Golf courses have been open, but using green balls.
Watson
Resident Member

Next

Return to Lounge Area