Is it Spring Yet?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Postby Watson on April 21st, 2015, 10:48 am 

Yes it has been delivered. Then we are done with it, but cool temps for the coming week.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on May 10th, 2015, 4:14 pm 

5 inches, heavy wet snow here. Had to knock snow off lilacs, which were bent almost to breaking.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 11th, 2015, 12:16 pm 

Ya, Happy Mother's Day. I bet we didn't get that much all winter, up here in the great white north.

http://6abc.com/weather/south-dakota-hi ... ay/712241/
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on May 11th, 2015, 12:26 pm 

It was crazy. Deadwood, at higher elevation than us, got 18 inches. No wonder Al Swearingen cursed all the time. (for those who haven't seen the HBO series, "Deadwood," Al Swearingen was a colorful local saloonkeeper and brothel operator, known for a spectacular potty mouth)
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 16th, 2015, 1:34 pm 

Today it is heading to 22 C. Normal for this time of year. We are suppose to be safe to plant our gardens, but no. We have snow in the forecast tomorrow over night, and into Monday. "(
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Watson on May 17th, 2015, 8:33 pm 

So it is 2 now, going to -3, pouring rain all day with winds gusting to 90 km. Now rain with ice, so I'm glad not to have to go out in it.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on June 18th, 2015, 2:49 pm 

I saw so many wildflowers the past couple weeks. I need help identifying this one however. It was at 8300 feet elevation along side Mt. Timponogos Utah. Three park rangers could not identify it after spending about an hour looking in their flower books.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby doogles on June 19th, 2015, 2:44 am 

I know it's mean to provide figures such as the following for those of you suffering the Spring weather in parts of the USA, but some of us just can't help showing the sadistic "Mr Hyde" sides of our natures occasionally.

The first 18 days of our Winter in Brisbane, Australia, have produced a mean daily minimum of 12.4 degrees C, and a mean daily maximum of 21.9.

Ahhh, Queensland! Beautiful one day, perfect the next!!!
doogles

Postby mtbturtle on June 19th, 2015, 6:12 am 

doogles, If you want to truly taunt folks in the US you have to do it in Fahrenheit ;)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Darby on June 19th, 2015, 8:06 am 

Yeah, only wankers and scientists use Celsius & Metric. Thipft !

Over on this side of the Atlantic, we mouthbreathing stump jumpers still use Farenheit and the absurdly antiquated and ambiguous English system, where ounces dont know whether they're wet (vol) or dry (wt), and no corncob escapes undiddled.

Yes, that's sarcasm ... I'm a firm believer in Metric, and that we're long overdue for adopting it.
Darby

Postby Watson on June 19th, 2015, 12:00 pm 

We are struggling to make those temps, and it is suppose to be summer here. In these parts we are bilingual speaking both standard and metric. Seems to me it was the US that was going metric, and Canada scrambled to make a similar conversion, to avoid trade problems with import/export measurements. The US changed the plan and opted to stay standard. Canada opted to move forward and join the rest of the metric world.

It is a lot easier to move a decimal, than multiple fractions.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on June 19th, 2015, 1:49 pm 

I like that the English system does offer easily divisible quantities. 12, for example, is a highly divisible number, more so than 10. That said, it doesn't consistently stick with base 12, and goes all hexadecimal for ounces. It's a system that's hard to part with if you live with it until adulthood, which is why they say "26 grams of prevention is worth 0.42 kilos of cure."

Really wet for here....like living inside a dog's mouth the past month or so. I suspect this is an El Nino year.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Lounge Area