Is it Spring Yet?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Is it Spring Yet?

Postby Watson on April 1st, 2014, 11:53 am 

Hey WM, you can just imagine Dave reaching down and lifting the roof off with one hand and moving furniture around with the other.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 1st, 2014, 7:08 pm 

Hey weakmagneto,

Be sure to catch the new DVD cartoon movie "Frozen".. I liked it a lot. (lol)

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mtbturtle on April 3rd, 2014, 7:45 am 

No flowers yet. A little less snow on the ground than this time last year but we're suppose to get more rain and snow today and tomorrow.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Athena on April 3rd, 2014, 11:08 am 

Laugh, you guys really had me going. I noticed the date when something was posted April 7, and wondered the heck is going on? As best as I can tell, today is April 3. It took me awhile to realize the first post were from a year ago.

We have a lot of flowers! There are so many dandelions I thought about trying to make a tea or wine and then my dog left his cent and I think I will pass on the dandelions.

We had a nice sunny day yesterday and 60 degrees. I hope the sky clears today, and that it warms up, so my granddaughter and I can enjoy the park this after noon.

I am afraid to look at my garden, I think my onions may have drowned, because I put them in a low spot and we had a lot of rain. Hopefully the kale and broccoli are doing fine. If the weather is good, I will work in my garden this weekend. How about everyone else? Are you gardening?
Athena
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on April 3rd, 2014, 11:25 am 

In Nebraska, so....no. ;-)

We had a hideous winter, and the spring is quite cold, so far. And dry, which means everything will be coming up/budding later.

I've always tried to resist the notion that there is some other place I should be, and all the discontent that can arouse, but this winter was really over the line, beyond the pale, and a catalyst for thoughts of moving south. or west. (either works, in terms of daytime highs....)
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on April 3rd, 2014, 12:30 pm 

Well also no, as we have snow banks that you can hide a van behind, three feet of snow in general and todays April showers are snow. Plus temps starting tomorrow, but any gardening will have to wait several weeks yet.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 3rd, 2014, 1:39 pm 

Wow, you guys make me feel so good. In the Willamette valley we have a lot of rain, and occasionally we get snow. This year a heavy snow made our park by the river look like a war zone! Trees looked like they were hit by bombs, and some people got free fire wood because of trees that were either down or had to be cut down. I think we should stick to trees that normally grow here, and can stand a snow load, even though we are in the banana belt and don't get below freezing often. Clean up is very costly for the city,

I heard much of the country was hit hard and food prices are apt to go up. That makes me glad I have a garden. If those of us who can plant gardens do plant gardens, maybe we can help keep prices down. Not likely, but it is motivating to think my efforts help everyone.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on April 3rd, 2014, 1:46 pm 

I used to live in the Willamette Valley, about six years. Yeah, the mild winters and greenery were a plus, and I found myself missing Corvallis a bit this winter. But I was raised on Plains sunshine, so never quite acclimated to the endless gray skies there. Hard to picture that area under heavy snow. Wow.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 3rd, 2014, 9:11 pm 

Yeah, I grew up in L.A. and didn't think I would accumulate. One day, after many years of cursing the cloudy skies, I looked up and thought the clouds were really pretty. I have been okay with the clouds ever since. In fact, I now think a 60 degree day is hot, and I am considering moving to the coast to avoid the summer heat.

It is Spring and always get the urge to move on in the Spring. It is like migrating is in my bones.
Athena
Banned User

Postby safeleo on April 5th, 2014, 8:24 pm 

It's officially spring in Japan! The cherry blossoms are in full bloom! Unfortunately, they also hate me. Allergies. :(
safeleo

Postby BioWizard on April 12th, 2014, 10:40 am 

Just snapped this at the beach. Thinking of all of you folks up north :]

IMG_62132.jpg
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on April 12th, 2014, 10:59 am 

We finally got some Spring, but now it feels like walking around inside a dog's mouth.

I would not do well as a tourism promoter for the state of Nebraska.

Actually, the western part of the state is really nice - milder winters, low humidity in summer, and beautiful rugged country more like a John Ford western. Go north from there, and you're in the Black Hills of South Dakota, which are gorgeous. But stay away during the Sturgis Rally, in August, unless you really dig sharing your drives with hundreds of thousands of bikers. I think Peter Fonda still shows up there.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on April 12th, 2014, 12:44 pm 

Up'til yesterday I would have said yes, I think so, with melting temps, but things changed. Back to freezing and a heavy snow fall warning. So I have ankle deep water to get out of the yard and snow coming. So no, not spring yet.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby weakmagneto on April 21st, 2014, 11:24 am 

Pics from my lil spring getaway this weekend! I had the most relaxing time. The snow was and is still lingering on the ground, so no spring flowers. We can still walk on the ice. We had a snowstorm again the day after these pics were taken. We had a couple of visitors, a deer and a very naughty squirrel.
Attachments
cabin.jpg
The cabin
scenery.jpg
Scenery from cabin
deer.jpg
Deer outside cabin
squirrel 1.jpg
Naughty squirrel
squirrel 2.jpg
Surprised naughty squirrel caught in the act!
weakmagneto

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Obvious Leo on April 21st, 2014, 5:21 pm 

Is it spring yet? Only if you're looking at the world from upside down. We've finally got some decent autumn rain and the bushfire season is hopefully behind us. This is of abiding relevance to me because I live in the middle of a forest. It's a busy time in the garden as I bed everything down in preparation for the winter, which in my neck of the sub-alpine woods can be quite severe. Not severe in the North American sense of the word but severe enough for the arthritic likes of me. I can't for the life of me understand how a tropical ape is expected to live in a climate where the snot freezes in his nose, but each to their own, I guess.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Obvious Leo on April 21st, 2014, 5:29 pm 

weakmagneto. I love the look of your spring hideaway, which looks like a perfect blank slate for an imaginative landscape gardener. If money is no object get your people to speak to my people and we should be able to work something out.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 21st, 2014, 5:54 pm 

Hi all,

I think Leo makes a damn good point here! Why is the world biased in thinking the North Pole is the Top of the World? The Earth exists in Space and in Space there is no North and South!

Henceforth, 50% of maps and 3D World Globes ought to be manufactured with Antarctica at the TOP! These to be sold to everyone that lives south of the Equator! Also, it goes without saying, the text should be inverted too.. so there is no epidemic of cricked necks in the southern hemisphere.

Best wishes,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on April 21st, 2014, 6:06 pm 

Dave_Oblad wrote:Henceforth, 50% of maps and 3D World Globes ought to be manufactured with Antarctica at the TOP!

I bought just such a globe in a novelty store recently for my grandson. I felt it was important that he should develop his mind untainted by this irrational northist bias. We're very big on ideological purity downunder.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on April 22nd, 2014, 1:27 pm 

Haha!

I can't for the life of me understand how a tropical ape is expected to live in a climate where the snot freezes in his nose, but each to their own, I guess.

You have no idea how often I've asked myself that. I blame the oversized brain on the current model of hominid, which outsmarts itself and thinks it can adapt to any climate. So, instead of doing the sensible thing after you've migrated way north - which is to turn 180 degrees and start marching back south - you stubbornly tough it out and initiate programs of complex problem-solving to keep your willy from falling off.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 22nd, 2014, 2:27 pm 

Obvious Leo » April 21st, 2014, 3:21 pm wrote:Is it spring yet? Only if you're looking at the world from upside down. We've finally got some decent autumn rain and the bushfire season is hopefully behind us. This is of abiding relevance to me because I live in the middle of a forest. It's a busy time in the garden as I bed everything down in preparation for the winter, which in my neck of the sub-alpine woods can be quite severe. Not severe in the North American sense of the word but severe enough for the arthritic likes of me. I can't for the life of me understand how a tropical ape is expected to live in a climate where the snot freezes in his nose, but each to their own, I guess.

Regards Leo

Yeah, gardening. I did something to my back yesterday when I was getting on the ground, and I am in terrible pain! I have done aspirin and iburprofen and heating pad. Now I have ice on my back.

I tried to keep my agreement to lead a dog walking group this morning and that was a big mistake! I was doing okay until I bent over. I am so embarrassed as I had to give up and come home. It took half an hour to walk half a block to get in my car. It is a stick shift, and stepping on the clutch was extremely painful!. I called my daughter in law to say I could not care for my grand daughter this afternoon, unless she brings her here, because I can not drive. I also can not get on the floor and play as usual. I am not happy! And I will back in the garden as soon as this passes. I don't have the time of patience for these physical set backs.

Derats, just got a return call from daughter in law. She is bring the child over. Smile, young people don't have a clue how bad bad is. This may be an interesting day.

PS about the mountain hide away. I would love to hide out in such a place. But today, walking on ice doesn't seem like a good thing to do. Man, to be young again and not know the limitations that can come with old age. I used to split wood and lived in the mountains. Good memories.
Athena
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on April 22nd, 2014, 2:58 pm 

Weakmagneto I'll come visit in July or August. It will be just about perfect weather then.

A few crocuses blooming and daffodils coming up. Been raking a lot! Fingers crossed it doesn't snow (yet again!).
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Obvious Leo on April 22nd, 2014, 3:12 pm 

Athena. Although I love the garden in the spring it's also my least favourite time for working in it for the very reason you've given. It can't be done painlessly. Alas when everything else is coming to life so too are the weeds, since a weed-free garden is a pernicious myth circulated by the purveyors of expensive proprietary products. If the weeds won't grow in your garden them neither will anything else. However I've yet to discover a painless way of getting them out, other than getting somebody else to do it. I still favour the upright posture with swan-neck hoe, which does in the lower back, but I'm starting to lean towards my wife's preferred method of the hands and knees posture, which does in the hips and knees. The latter method scares me a bit because I'm certain one day I'll be cast in it, unable to move forwards, backwards, up or down. In this event the old girl reckons she'll grow a climber over me to discourage the male dogs, which I think is very thoughtful of her.

Growing old is indeed a pain in the arse but I comfort myself with the conviction that it's better than the alternative.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 23rd, 2014, 1:50 pm 

mtbturtle » April 22nd, 2014, 12:58 pm wrote:Weakmagneto I'll come visit in July or August. It will be just about perfect weather then.

A few crocuses blooming and daffodils coming up. Been raking a lot! Fingers crossed it doesn't snow (yet again!).

Can I come too? I make a delicious salmon, crab, shrimp soup.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Athena on April 23rd, 2014, 2:05 pm 

Leo, I get on the ground because I have a chronic back problem. Absolutely can not do the crawl position for more than 5 minutes! That is the worst. I sit on my butt and use a hand spade, and imagine I am digging a hole to China when chasing after the roots grass; the kind with very long roots, and spreads by roots and seeds and is next to impossible to get rid of. It loves to grow between my straw berries and herbs, forcing me to rip out good plants to get the grass out. My I do curse the grass. But I love the worms and I love that my soil is a 100 times better than when I began 5 years ago.

I love the all science involved with gardening! Creating a good soil from clay is thrilling. It takes so much work, and that means satisfaction and feeling accomplished. Then to get the placing of plants just right and grow the right plants together. Each year I love to try a vegetable I have not tried before. Then the watering. To get the watering exactly right is a challenge, for someone who finds thinking challenging. Different plants want different degrees of sun and water and soil acidity. I have come to greatly admire our food producers who get all these things just right, and produce beautiful fruits and vegetables for us.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Obvious Leo on April 23rd, 2014, 5:47 pm 

Athena. God invented beer to stop the Australians from ruling the world, but he came up with an even more useful invention and called it glyphosate. Lift your strawberries and herbs and pot them on. Then spray the affected bed three times at monthly intervals. Any deep-rooted grasses will be gone forever and then you only need to focus on preventing their return, which is far less back-breaking. You'll never get rid of them by simply digging then out because you only need to leave the tiniest bit behind and off they go again. Glyphosate has no adverse effects on soil profiles and you can take my word for it that it's used by the tanker-load in the production of the food we eat. There is no evidence that it gets into the food chain and it can be safely used in home gardens if correctly applied. I use no other pesticides or herbicides whatsoever, except soapy water on my roses for aphids. My hostas get attacked by slugs but I put up with it and my brassicas routinely get holes chewed in them by caterpillars, but this doesn't seem to affect their taste. The good these creatures do outweighs the bad, but the same cannot be said for invasive grasses.

I totally agree with your comment about creating a quality soil from unpromising stock. My entire garden is built on a mixture of quartz reef, mudstone and clay and my soils are now magnificent. Only time can achieve such results because soil is a living medium which must evolve into its life-giving state. Every single year another layer of organic matter goes onto it because the living medium is not a gift that keeps on giving. Nature giveth, and nature taketh away.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Obvious Leo on April 24th, 2014, 5:39 pm 

Our first frost for the year this morning. Currently -0.5C on my gauge. We can expect to get occasional frosts down to -2 or -3 in the next couple of months but never much colder than that. Currently the daytime temps are still getting up into the high teens, especially after a frosty morning. Oddly enough by mid-winter we very rarely get frosts but the daytime temps seldom make it into double figures. This applies only where I live in the high country and I only need to drive 30 km down the hills and the overall average temperatures go up by 6 degrees. This is a blessing for the lowlanders in the winter but a curse in the summer when they have to suffer temperatures in the forties while I'm sitting in the shade with a cold beer at a balmy 35.

Regards Leo
Obvious Leo
Resident Member

Postby Watson on April 25th, 2014, 4:30 pm 

Athena » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm wrote:
mtbturtle » April 22nd, 2014, 12:58 pm wrote:Weakmagneto I'll come visit in July or August. It will be just about perfect weather then.

Better make that August, to avoid the snow. I think spring is the first part of August then a quick summer and fall and winter starting in September. Still lots of snow here and I didn't even get the foot that fell a few weeks ago.

So still, no.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Athena on April 27th, 2014, 6:00 pm 

Obvious Leo » April 23rd, 2014, 3:47 pm wrote:Athena. God invented beer to stop the Australians from ruling the world, but he came up with an even more useful invention and called it glyphosate. Lift your strawberries and herbs and pot them on. Then spray the affected bed three times at monthly intervals. Any deep-rooted grasses will be gone forever and then you only need to focus on preventing their return, which is far less back-breaking. You'll never get rid of them by simply digging then out because you only need to leave the tiniest bit behind and off they go again. Glyphosate has no adverse effects on soil profiles and you can take my word for it that it's used by the tanker-load in the production of the food we eat. There is no evidence that it gets into the food chain and it can be safely used in home gardens if correctly applied. I use no other pesticides or herbicides whatsoever, except soapy water on my roses for aphids. My hostas get attacked by slugs but I put up with it and my brassicas routinely get holes chewed in them by caterpillars, but this doesn't seem to affect their taste. The good these creatures do outweighs the bad, but the same cannot be said for invasive grasses.

I totally agree with your comment about creating a quality soil from unpromising stock. My entire garden is built on a mixture of quartz reef, mudstone and clay and my soils are now magnificent. Only time can achieve such results because soil is a living medium which must evolve into its life-giving state. Every single year another layer of organic matter goes onto it because the living medium is not a gift that keeps on giving. Nature giveth, and nature taketh away.

Regards Leo

What a delightful post. I love talk of making a good soil. That is my favorite part of gardening. If you can, make bio char for your soil. There are U tubes that explain how to use a barrel burning for turning wood into bio char. I am dying to do this, but don't have my own back yard for processing the wood. It takes time for the good microbes to move into the bio char, but when they do, they bring life into the soil. It is a great feeling to bring the soil to life and produce food.

I use milk jugs and beer for getting rid of slugs. I cut a hole a couple of inches up and put the milk jug in the ground up to the hole and then pour in some beer. I like thinking the slugs die happy. But I am waiting until the down pours stop, so the beer doesn't ruined with water. When I stepped outside to walk my dog this morning, I began cussing like a fisher man's wife, because of the down pour! My rain coat was in my car and I got soaked between the apartments and my car. It is pouring again, so I won't work in my garden today.

I look at our weather forecast and it in a couple of days it will 93! That is unheard of here, at this time of year. For sure I will have to move to the coast if we have hot weather like that often. I can not take the heat. At least we don't have to worry about things freezing.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Athena on April 27th, 2014, 6:12 pm 

Watson » April 25th, 2014, 2:30 pm wrote:
Athena » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:50 pm wrote:

Better make that August, to avoid the snow. I think spring is the first part of August then a quick summer and fall and winter starting in September. Still lots of snow here and I didn't even get the foot that fell a few weeks ago.

So still, no.

Where do you live? I don't like heat, but that isn't enough mild weather for me. I want plenty of sunny 60 degree days in the spring and fall. Those are my favorite times of the year.
Athena
Banned User

Postby Athena on April 27th, 2014, 6:17 pm 

Dave_Oblad » April 1st, 2014, 5:08 pm wrote:Hey weakmagneto,

Be sure to catch the new DVD cartoon movie "Frozen".. I liked it a lot. (lol)

Best wishes,

I watched the movie with my granddaughter. I didn't get to see the end of it, because Mom came and took her home. I hope my granddaughter brings it again. I was really enjoying it.
Athena
Banned User

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge Area