Suicidally depressed about a low GPA.

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Suicidally depressed about a low GPA.

Postby menameta1 on March 3rd, 2014, 7:50 pm 

I am a senior in college and my cumulative GPA is really horrible because I screwed up and didn't take school seriously when I was younger. I am embarrassed to say how low it is. Now, I am 27 years old and I'm getting straight As in upper-level courses. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for me to raise my terrible GPA because I already have 114 credits. I would do anything to go back in time and fix the mistakes I've made in the past. Now, I will never be able to get into any graduate program. I am an anthropology major interested in pursuing a career in archaeology, physical anthropology, or forensic anthropology. I think about committing suicide every day, but I am scared of dying and my parents would be devastated if I would kill myself. I feel like I don't want to live anymore, but at the same time I'm too scared to kill myself. What should I do?
menameta1
Forum Neophyte

Re: Suicidally depressed about a low GPA.

Postby Natural ChemE on March 3rd, 2014, 8:27 pm 

menameta1,

Welcome to the forums!

I guess that there's two issues to address here: the emotional one and the technical one. I'm not so great with the former, though there're a lot of folks who'd love to talk.

As for the technical issue of your next life step, it sounds like you're interested in grad school? It's often advisable to start looking around at the various programs available. You can go around and check various grad school departments' websites and find a program that interests you. Would you be interested in a Master's or a Ph.D.?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby menameta1 on March 3rd, 2014, 8:39 pm 

I am interested in a Masters degree in Bioarchaeology. I think that my life is over because my mediocre undergraduate GPA would prevent me from ever getting into graduate school.
menameta1
Forum Neophyte

Postby Natural ChemE on March 3rd, 2014, 8:50 pm 

menameta1,

A mediocre undergrad GPA's something to work around, but lots of folks make it work. Your recent streak of A's can really help, too, showing those reviewing your application that you've gotten it together.

Have you looked at taking the GRE yet? Or does Bioarchaeology involve another standardized test?
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby ryan711 on March 3rd, 2014, 10:19 pm 

You think failure to enter into graduate program makes life not meaningful? What other interests do you have? I'm glad you care for your parents.

What makes you diminish your survival instinct other than failing to get a graduate study in your preferred course? Won't other course interest you? Won't a bachelor's degree be enough for a satisfying career?

At 27 and both your parents still around, you are fortunate. I lost both at a younger age. After you graduate, find job, have girlfriend, get married, have children, won't these be meaningful enough? If no, you can engage in voluntary service to the community. If all these still won't satisfy you, welcome to philosophy :) You are probably just seeking truth that would satisfy your inner craving.

Ryan
ryan711

Postby Braininvat on March 4th, 2014, 1:26 pm 

Meta,

if you are getting "straight A's in upper-level courses," then it's possible you are being unduly pessimistic about your future. Upper-level coursework will carry more weight when prospective grad programs look at your transcript. If you really want to go to grad school, there is nothing standing in your way. Take some happiness from the fact that you have a clear sense of direction in your life and know what you want to do. That is pure gold. Plenty of 27 year olds are just drifting along, and would envy your sense of purpose. You will find a way.

Your pessimism might also be due to some form of depression, which is treatable, and might help you have a better outlook and more energy as regards continued schooling. Depression can be neurological in origin, not something you should blame yourself for, and there are several techniques, both pharmaceutical and therapeutic, that can really help. Sometimes brain chemistry can make situations look far darker and more intractable than they really are. I have suffered from depression and I know that (a) it will pass, and (b) there are many ways to heal up and have a regimen that keeps it from returning (or, at least, returning with its previous force).

And, this year, I would also add, if you live in the northern tier of states: be verrrry glad that it's March. This winter has been astoundingly awful.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Philosopher8659 on April 6th, 2014, 8:50 pm 

menameta1 » March 3rd, 2014, 6:50 pm wrote:~~~~What should I do?

When I was young, I was being prepped to be shipped to a school for "special" people. It was assumed that was slow. Well, the last part of the process to sign my travel papers was IQ test by a special tester brought into the school. He almost pissed his pants. He had never tested anyone like me it seems.

Well, I did not get to be special. However, my problem never changed.

Do you really think you, or anyone else should ask what to do from other people? What did you learn in school about set inclusion and set exclusion? A definition. A definition determines class membership.

This means it also determines the principles of predication. If you want to know what you should do, you do not ask another person, nor a god, but the only thing that has the power to tell the truth. Can you define, and I mean define, not describe, nor produce a synonym, what you are?

What are you? If you could really answer that question, and I do not mean assume an answer, you would know beyond doubt what is to be done.

When in pain and ignorant of the cause, we often decide a cause which is not related in order to at least make believe we are addressing a solution to end the pain.

I spent years depressed, but I realized it had nothing to do with my environment. The mind has a specific purpose, and specific means of doing its job. If you do not know what that is, you do not know yourself. And if you do not know yourself--then you, as mind, cannot do your own work and to any environmental acquisition system of a living organism, that means pain.
Philosopher8659
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on April 14th, 2014, 12:08 am 

I have heard a lot of professors actually talk very negatively about GPA. It matters more about your desire to learn, your attitude, and happiness than any stinking grade! Maintaining high grades can actually get in the way of learning. I actually had an extremely successful career with only a high school diploma for many years until I found it time to finally go to college because I wanted to, and not because I had to. What I am saying is, grades probably don't matter as much as you think. They will get in the way more if that's what you are focused on, but if focus on the positives in life and not mistakes of the past than you can live a really fulfilling life. The positive in this case, which was already mentioned is you have a much better idea of where you are going in life now, and you have learned from your past. That is one of the main purposes of school in the first place, to figure out what you want to do in life. Many people never even get that figured out.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby owleye on April 14th, 2014, 10:29 am 

I was very much like the OP. My conclusion. Lower division was too much cookbook education. Only in upper division did I gain a foothold. However, grad school, devoted as it is to a single subject matter, has its own issues. There's so much to learn that unless one is talented, relentless or has lots of help, it's not going to be easy. My suggestion? Get letters of recommendation from your upper division instructors and find someone to share your interests.
owleye
Honored Member

Postby Braininvat on April 22nd, 2014, 7:45 pm 

It's a bit worrisome, though, that the OP author has not reported back to us, given the mood he was expressing there. I'm hoping that last bit was the hyperbole of youth.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Paradox on April 22nd, 2014, 9:33 pm 

menameta1

Failure is as natural as success. Failure is merely a tool to learn how to succeed. Is your heart dead set (no pun intended) on that profession? If not, find something you really like and you will never work a day in your life, because you will enjoy it instead of slave over it. There are still many options and doors that will still open at 27.
I know that no matter what anyone says here, you are still in your bubble of despair because no one can really know how you feel unless they were you. I have not read all of the posts regarding your situation, however I’m sure someone has said “Its not the end of the world.” I think the greatest thing that has gotten you in this state is letting your parents down more than letting yourself down. Do you think they are going to stop loving you if you fail? Your parents can want and expect many things from you but ultimately its your life.

"The meaning of life is not complicated. It's simply... “To Live.” If you can accomplished that you’re most of the way there."

I once lost love and thought it was the end of the world for me; nobody could replace her. I thought of suicide. But a wise person came along after months of sadness, and told that sometimes you have to be good to yourself and when things get so bad you feel helpless to change it, you have to learn to say F it. I later met my wife and best friend. Had I killed myself I would have missed out on my wife and all the great things that happen in my life, only because I didn’t think during my depression that something better may be ahead of this dark cloud. After every storm comes sunshine. Trust me.

If you have a B.S to PHD in a field, the military will take you in a heartbeat. You would be an officer. Someone in charge of people. I guarantee (in the long run) your parents would be proud that you are serving your country... And you can make deals with them to pay off student loans in exchange for service. Thus, taking the honorable road and paying your parents back. Think about it.

“When you hit rock bottom, that is the time to rejoice, because there is only one direction after that.. Up."

Paradox~
U.S Army Retired
Paradox
Banned User

Postby Mathwoman1 on April 22nd, 2014, 10:18 pm 

Your GRE score is more important than your GPA, excel in that one and you increase your chances of getting into graduate school, have strong recommendation letters from your teachers, select those that can give an honest evaluation of your performance including strengths and weaknesses. Your essay is also very important.
Mathwoman1
Forum Neophyte

Postby Paradox on May 1st, 2014, 7:17 pm 

menameta1

Failure is as natural as success. Failure is merely a tool to learn how to succeed. Is your heart dead set (no pun intended) on that profession? If not, find something you really like and you will never work a day in your life, because you will enjoy it instead of slave over it. There are still many options and doors that will still open at 27.
I know that no matter what anyone says here, you are still in your bubble of despair because no one can really know how you feel unless they were you. I have not read all of the posts regarding your situation, however I’m sure someone has said “Its not the end of the world.” I think the greatest thing that has gotten you in this state is letting your parents down more than letting yourself down. Do you think they are going to stop loving you if you fail? Your parents can want and expect many things from you but ultimately its your life.

"The meaning of life is not complicated. It's simply... “To Live.” If you can accomplished that you’re most of the way there."

I once lost love and thought it was the end of the world for me; nobody could replace her. I thought of suicide. But a wise person came along after months of sadness, and told that sometimes you have to be good to yourself and when things get so bad you feel helpless to change it, you have to learn to say F it. I later met my wife and best friend. Had I killed myself I would have missed out on my wife and all the great things that happen in my life, only because I didn’t think during my depression that something better may be ahead of this dark cloud. After every storm comes sunshine. Trust me.

If you have a B.S to PHD in a field, the military will take you in a heartbeat. You would be an officer. Someone in charge of people. I guarantee (in the long run) your parents would be proud that you are serving your country... And you can make deals with them to pay off student loans in exchange for service. Thus, taking the honorable road and paying your parents back. Think about it.

“When you hit rock bottom, that is the time to rejoice, because there is only one direction after that.. Up."

Paradox~
U.S Army Retired
Paradox

Did I say the right thing to this distraught youngster? Please Comment Parents.

Paradox~
Paradox
Banned User

Postby doc on July 15th, 2014, 10:22 pm 

I think that you are laser focusing on one thing. Considering you made drastic improvements any grad school is going to want you. And even if they don't your passion for the subject will show when you are working, and that will lead you to a promotion that will get you to the same place as a doctorate in half the time.
doc
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on April 19th, 2016, 4:50 am 

I learned something recently that got me thinking back on this old thread.

Apparently you can get horrible grades through college, then transfer to a new college right at the end and clean your GPA to 4.00

This is tricky because you have to get all your classes to be accepted and transferred into the new college and then they make you take certain special core requirements they have but you could potentially graduate with a 4.00 after failing miserably in college. Might be difficult for a major like archaeology if you can't find another college with that major to get certain special classes to transfer in. Just throwing this out there for future readers of this thread though.

In a way that is not fair at all to those that worked their ass of the whole time but it's interesting and shows how grades aren't that important apparently. It also shows how messed up the education system is where you can just pay for credentials.

I hope menameta1 figured it out and is doing well.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Lounge Area