Culinaria: What's for dinner ?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: Culinaria: What's for dinner ?

Postby mtbturtle on September 29th, 2015, 5:38 pm 

This recipe orginates with Ursa's mom and came from his Sister. My tweeks are in the ( ). The mace and lemon make them a bit unique in the Kolache world.

Kolache

2 cups lukewarm whole milk
3/4 cup butter or margarine (butter for dough - bluebonnet for buttering tops)
1/2 cup sugar
2 whole eggs and 3 yolks, well beaten
1 1/4 tsp salt
grate one lemon rind
1/4 tsp mace (generous)
2 pkgs yeast (5 tsp)
6 level cups flour or more (8 cups x 4oz = 32 oz -- 2 lb)

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm milk and 2 T sugar and let stand 2-3 minutes.
Melt butter (cool slightly), beat eggs, grate lemon rind and add to the remainder of the
milk. Add the yeast mixture, then the flour, salt, mace and sugar. Mix
well till smooth and silky. Start with paddle then use hook. Flour top of dough slightly and cover with a
towel. Let raise 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours in a warm place. (rise 1 hour about double) Beat down and let
raise about 3/4 hour. (1 hour - top of bowl) Turn onto floured board and cut small pieces, slight
larger than a walnut, (large walnut) mold into round biscuit and place on a greased cookie
sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart. Butter each biscuit with melted butter.
Let raise until almost double. Press middle down to form hole for filling.
Fill with 1 tsp filling.

Bake at 425 (400) about 10-15 min. (15+) or until brown. Butter again after removing
from oven. Makes 3-4 dozen

Imagesour cherry kolache by mtb turtle,
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on September 29th, 2015, 6:53 pm 

Where I'm mostly from, SE Nebraska, has several Czech festivals and towns making various claims about the superiority of their kolache. (kolache is already plural, kolach is singular, but few follow the Slavic usage) I haven't met a kolach I didn't like.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on September 29th, 2015, 7:16 pm 

thanks fixed it. hadn't come across that before.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on October 21st, 2015, 1:13 pm 

Darby » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:31 am wrote:My current fridge is not ideally suited for the task. I'd rather get one that's ideal for my seconday needs.

I'd need to make:
> A custom cut plywood floor insert, to help protect against damage from heavy/jostling kegs.
> An epoxy'd on ceiling loop, to hang stuff.

As for homebrewing & bartending gear, that's well within my wheelhouse. I can buy or salvage most of what I need:
> 5lb CO2 tank & fittings
> Regulator with the usual hoses, clamps and fittings
> Two 5 gal Soda/Homebrew kegs
> Hose tap.
> Line cleaning kit

Image Image Image Image Image

I was looking for the name of a squash we mentioned here some time ago, and ding, Hubber popped into my head. But more on point, I bought a coke/pop dispenser many years ago. And used it for the home brew. I should dig it out of storage and make use of it, or sell it. It is a table top, with a CO2 and canisters underneath, and the brew passes through the refrigeration unit on the way to a cold glass.

I still have a few kits. I should get brewing.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby ronjanec on October 21st, 2015, 5:35 pm 

Braininvat » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:53 pm wrote:Where I'm mostly from, SE Nebraska, has several Czech festivals and towns making various claims about the superiority of their kolache. (kolache is already plural, kolach is singular, but few follow the Slavic usage) I haven't met a kolach I didn't like.

I am half Slovak and I just love kolache Biv!(also potatoe pancakes) While I am on the subject of "Slovaks", please check this wonderful singer out with your headphones on and the volume turned way up, and please also notice the first half of her last name! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kOy6M_X2MO8

(And please also notice the looks that could kill that she gets from the older girls in the contest!)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 21st, 2015, 9:46 pm 

Wow, what a set of pipes.

To bring us back to topic, is there any particular tato pancake recipe or style you recommend? Several ethnic cuisines have a tato pancake, e.g. latkes.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 21st, 2015, 10:10 pm 

Braininvat » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:46 pm wrote:Wow, what a set of pipes.

To bring us back to topic, is there any particular tato pancake recipe or style you recommend? Several ethnic cuisines have a tato pancake, e.g. latkes.

Absolutely amazing right!?(by the way, I believe she was only 14 when she sang this!) I keep wondering if we are somehow related?(JANECkova) When my grandparents first came to the US, I understand that they changed the family name at Ellis Island because they couldn't pronounce it.

I would have to say that my personal favorite is the kind that they serve in Jewish Deli's(latkes) Biv.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on March 2nd, 2016, 8:05 pm 

Imagegerman pork roast

German Scweinenbraten Pork Roast

Imagepork roast & spaetzle served with homemade sauerkraut simmered in Riesling

Imagevanilla porter brownies by mtb turtle, on Flickr

I used this recipe/ and substituted a Vanilla Porter and 8oz of Sharffenberger 70 Bittersweet chocolate chopped - They are more cake like brownie with all the eggs than chewy as I prefer but have a good chocolate flavor.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby BioWizard on March 2nd, 2016, 8:51 pm 

Those chocolate cake like brownies look amazing!
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BubbleGum on March 4th, 2016, 8:27 am 

The whole menu looks amazing! My mouth waters already :P due to the fasting period I am currently avoiding meat (but only for the next two weeks, because I wouldn’t take it longer) and I haven’t ate pork for the past few months… as soon as the “half-time-fasting period” is over, I will definitely eat some :D
BubbleGum
Forum Neophyte

Postby Braininvat on March 4th, 2016, 10:46 am 

I always go to online theads with mouthwatering pics of food, when fasting. :-)

Just curious....why are you fasting, BG? Lent?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 24th, 2016, 7:14 pm 

Ramps and Trumpet mushrooms in a parsley, butter wine sauce with Porcini pasta.

Pictures were muddy but the flavor was superb.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Watson on April 25th, 2016, 12:25 pm 

I haven't done it for a long time, but I have been making pasta. It is so different than store pasta, it should have its own name. Maybe there is, other than homemade?
Watson
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on April 25th, 2016, 6:27 pm 

Watson, I agree it's a whole other thing even from store bought fresh pasta which you can get.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 25th, 2016, 7:34 pm 

Hi.. just a quick one, perhaps not for dinner though,

Just whip up a batch of pancake batter, dip a slice of bread in it covering both sides and deep fry in vegetable oil for golden brown both sides. Shake off excess oil. Not quite French Toast and not quite a Waffle.. but really good. It's how my grandmother made them.. whatever they are called.

For me: Smother in peanut butter and syrup. Eat.. real yummy!

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Braininvat on April 26th, 2016, 11:45 am 

Dave, that sounds amazing. I'll keep the defibrillator handy.

Seriously, I've never heard of dipping bread in pancake batter, but now that I have it sounds like the superior method for pan-fried starch. Would make the pan-things easier to flip, too, as the solid piece of bread inside would add structural integrity.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on April 26th, 2016, 1:10 pm 

I did the bread inside the pancake thing and it was very good. But I guess I cross it off the "Things I invented" list. I was also making biscuits using the rendering from beef and chicken. I'm working on the proportions but I think you can get a good biscuit using less renderings than the shortening called for in the regular biscuit recipes. I certainly adds flavor if nothing else.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on April 26th, 2016, 4:04 pm 

Hi all,

The big difference is the deep oil frying. It makes a Crispy surface with soft center. The texture is amazing. It's not surface fried like french toast, pancakes and waffles. It's more like donuts, but with a crispy surface texture.

All you need is the pancake batter, bread, a pan with about 1.5 inches deep hot vegetable oil and tongs. It may take a few tries to get one to come out perfect.. but well worth the effort. Also, some pancake batter will come loose in the oil and needs to be strained out with some kind of mesh scoop spoon.

After made, just eat with whatever topping you usually put on pancakes.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby tantric on October 29th, 2016, 2:04 am 

ghetto gourmet

take 1 cup jasmine rice. get a can of coconut water and pour it in a measuring cup, adding to make 2 cups. boil the water with a bit of cardamom and cocobutter. when it boils, add rice and wait til it boils again, then reduce to simmer, cover, wait 20mins.

peel (optional) and cut into chunks three sweet potatoes. boil until tender then mash with garam masala and sriracha. take three ripe plantains *mostly black). mash and fry in butter with garlic and lime juice. serve the two side by side
tantric

Postby mitchellmckain on October 29th, 2016, 3:37 am 

We have 4 cooks at our house, though only three cook regularly. My wife is Japanese and cooks both Japanese food and Korean. I do Mexican, Italian, Thai, Indian and occasionally some Middle Eastern, English, or Russian.

Today I made Thai curried chicken with an eggplant Thai curry on the side.
mitchellmckain

Postby Serpent on October 29th, 2016, 12:07 pm 

I've just brought in three little eggplants, as well. Moussaka tonight.
With lentils or chick peas? The latter is precooked, so I'll probably opt for that, and defrost a pack of veggie ground round at the same time. Spinach is frozen, too; it comes in handy cubes from the Indian section. The mushrooms are fresh; they'll get peeled and sliced while i relax with a cup of green tea an episode of DS9.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby mitchellmckain on July 3rd, 2017, 9:31 pm 

A restaurant in town, Shanghai Cafe, serves a dish I really like - Fried Tofu curry noodle salad. A couple weeks ago I remembered this restaurant and wanted to try making this dish again. So I went and had lunch there for research. Figuring out what was in the sauce was the hard part. My best guess was sugar, masala curry powder, onion, garlic, salt (I used bullion), pepper, and a dash of rice wine vinegar. It has been years since I tried this the first time but I think it went fairly well. Toasting and crushing the peanuts was the most time consuming part and after that deep frying the tofu. Though... when they serve it in the restaurant you get the tofu when it is very hot, but with everything I had to do and being a bit less professional the tofu was quite cool by the time we ate it.

Today we ordered out from the same restaurant: Orange pork, moo goo gai pan (chicken), Pad Thai, chow mein crispy combo meat, lemon grass tofu, kung pow scallops, and a curry noodle salad with beef. I like the curry noodle salad with beef too.
mitchellmckain

Postby Watson on July 3rd, 2017, 9:56 pm 

I did the same thing years ago with Hot and Sour Soup. In the days before recipes on line. It was nothing like the one I was going for, but very good none the same.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on July 3rd, 2017, 10:10 pm 

Not really an entree, or even a proper recipe, but in the hot weather lately I've been eating slices of cuke dipped in guacamole as a salad sort of thing. Very refreshing.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on July 3rd, 2017, 10:59 pm 

Heh. I've been picking nice young cukes and trying to use them fresh.* The other day, I lucked into a big pack of pretty good avocados on quick sale. So, what the hey? I sliced three of those and two of these and one medium shallot, threw on a light lemony mayo dressing - and they loved it!
The rest of the avocados went into a batch of green goddess dressing.

*There is no way in hell I'm attempting to make pickles again!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on August 16th, 2017, 2:36 pm 

I forgot to wish India a happy 70th birthday yesterday. (curse #45 and the way he distracts me from more pleasant news in the world!) or have a nice bowl of dal with some curried basmati and some bits of naan, in honor. Maybe tonight. Anyone have subcontinental favorites to recommend?
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby mitchellmckain on August 28th, 2017, 4:35 am 

One of my recent cullinary efforts was to make begnets -- something I read about in a book. Rather than the New Orleans style, I used an online recipe which called for deep frying balls of choux pastry. In doing so, I faced the rather large handicap of never having eaten begnets of any kind before. There is a bakery in town which makes the New Orleans style three days a week, so I will have to make it over there one of these days and try those out.
mitchellmckain

Postby Serpent on August 28th, 2017, 10:55 am 

Braininvat » August 16th, 2017, 1:36 pm wrote:I forgot to wish India a happy 70th birthday yesterday. (curse #45 and the way he distracts me from more pleasant news in the world!) or have a nice bowl of dal with some curried basmati and some bits of naan, in honor. Maybe tonight. Anyone have subcontinental favorites to recommend?

We had a beautiful curry three days in a row. Because a single can of chick peas makes such a big batch and the freezer is full. Onion, zucchini, TVP balls, red pepper, green tomato. I actually spent an hour grinding my own spice mixture (not too hot). Still airing out the kitchen.
Serpent
Resident Member

Previous

Return to Lounge Area