Is Twitter a powerful tool or a waste of life?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Is Twitter a powerful tool or a waste of life?

Postby Ultra on March 2nd, 2015, 8:03 pm 

In my experience, I've found Twitter unquantifiably useful. I love current affairs/relations/strategy and have feeds from 1500 sources around the world. These include top military commanders, airmen, strategists, cartographers, photographers and commoners on the ground. This enabled me to predict the Ukraine offensive on time, six months in advance.
Not only that, it gives me the news you don't hear on the news (about 3 days later) from the people on the ground.
However, some people use it as a trivia platform. That the message is limited in size is another criticism - although it has always been considered a micro-blog to be fair.

Do you tweet? Is it worthwhile or a limited fad?
Ultra

Re: Is Twitter a powerful tool or a waste of life?

Postby Darby on March 2nd, 2015, 8:53 pm 

Non-tweeter here.

I can see the usefulness and immediacy of fact-based tweets ... but on the flipside the uber-short format would seem to make meaningful discussion difficult if not impossible.

The maxim of using the right tool for the right task would seem to apply. Seems to be a tool that can be used intelligently by intelligent people with a need to do so ... but the reality is the majority of the hoi polloi are neither sufficiently intelligent nor have the need (except in extremis) to do so, and thus they just gab with it.

So, the smart minority will use it smartly, and the hoi polloi will not.
Darby

Postby Ultra on March 2nd, 2015, 9:14 pm 

I think you're on the right track there. Being able to take a photo of an event or a document on a phone, and publishing it to a potentially worldwide audience instantly is kinda appealing. One problem with covering conflict are the images from twitter. A lot of them are unpublishable so I have to self censor. Even the ones I do publish come with a warning sometimes.
Ultra

Postby DigitalReality on April 14th, 2015, 11:24 am 

Back in 1990, I created a shop-floor notification tool for Ford Motor Co. It was called the Alarm Notification System (ANS). It is STILL in place and running today, in fact, it is an integral part of Ford's new world-wide standardized Plant Operating System's Monitoring (POSMon) capabilities.

The ANS is the only "homebrewed" system still in use at Ford, corporate wide.

The ANS is a “pure” client-server based system, meaning the server processes do NOTHING on their own, everything is driven by UNSOLICITED “QUEUING REQUESTS” that any “CLIENT PROCESS” can send.

The server processes can sit anywhere on the corporate intranet, and run on either the VMS, UNIX, or WindowsNT operating systems. The clients can use a wide number of interface protocols to sent queuing request to the servers, including DecNet, FTP file transfer, TCP-IP, etc. In addition, the ANS is capable of getting network client requests from "shop floor gateway" devices that were in real-time communications with the machine controllers that run the assembly lines.

For example, a system called "Oil Monitoring" has a list of machinery that need to be oiled on a scheduled basis, so it sends a set of "ALARM" requests into the ANS to notify whomever is on duty to do whatever needs to be done.

Another system called "Tool monitoring" takes real-time measurements as holes are being drilled. When the drills start wearing out, they start producing parts that USED TO have to be scrapped!! But with the capability to monitor production in REAL-TIME, another system called Statistical Process Control (SPC) is able to detect TRENDS in the holes drilled, and so it "knows" when a drill bit is going to wear out before any scrap is produced at all. Can you imagine how much money this has saved Ford over the 25 years since I put this into place?

The ANS was like the GLUE that holds all of these systems together, and it has processed BILLIONS of transactions every year without a hiccup because the ANS is what we call "Bullet-Proof"... it is designed to NEVER fail. In fact, some of the plants use the ANS to do emergency medical paging, like calling for ambulances in foundries.

Back in the day, they use to have "Pagers"... notification devices dedicated for receiving text messages, usually limited to 140 characters because that was the limitation of some of the bigger telecom companies like “Air-Touch” and Verizon here in the states, and British Telecom (BT) in England, where Ford was running the Jaguar plants at the time.

The client-server based system was constructed using a “layered architecture” allowing it to be open-ended as far as what it could relay text messages to. Originally, it was just the Air-Touch pagers, but over the 14 years I worked on this system, I added output protocols for email servers, SMTP, remote serial lines (we used to hook these into huge MARQUEES on the shop floor for plant-wide message broadcasts), FTP output, etc...

The main benefit of the ANS was, it was hooked into the centralized data bases that ran the plants, and it could obtain the PERSONNEL SHIFT SCHEDULES... who is on duty and what is their pager number. That way, the ANS could send pages to targets like "third shift oil change manager", and whomever was assigned to that shift, HE got the page.

This was a HUGE savings, because, by isolating the "on-duty" identification of plant personnel functionality (we call this “Encapsulating”), that meant that the Oil Change system didn’t need to incorporate this (extremely complex) functionality; it only needs to make client ALARM NOTIFICATION requests to the ANS server, and let IT figure out who to call, over which device to make the call, and what the pager number of that device is, for whomever is on duty (more on this, below).

Not only that, the ANS could also have an ESCALATION STRATEGY configured:

For example, the Tool Monitoring system sends real-time in-line gauging data (drilled hole diameters, for example) to the SPC system for a drill located at bay 12, column 13 in a machining plant. SPC is tracking the trends of the diameters of the holes being drilled. Suddenly, the diameters begin to decrease, and seem to be TRENDING towards the "LOWER SPEC LIMIT", which is critical... if it crosses that THRESHOLD, the production run is SCRAP (that’s about $10,000 a minute WASTED!). But SPC catches this way before it happens, while the holes being drilled are still within "TOLERATION", and so now it’s a matter of how fast this ALARM can be "DISPATCHED" to the shop floor personnel on duty at the time, in order to save the plant from making scrap.

The ANS allows it to be configured to dispatch text messages in a vast number of ways, constructing an “ESCALATING NOTIFICATION STRATEGY”, for example:

1- send immediate to marquee #67 on the shop floor: "SHUT DOWN - DRILL -Bay 12 - Column 13 - Trending to Lower spec limit"

2 - send immediate to Operator on duty "Please shut down - DRILL -Bay 12 - Column 13 - Trending to Lower spec limit"

3 - DELAY for 5 minutes, then send to Shift Supervisor "Emergency... no response to alarms dispatched for - DRILL - Bay 12 - Column 13 after 5 minutes"

4 - DELAY for 10 minutes, then send to Shift Supervisor "Emergency... no response to alarms dispatched for - DRILL - Bay 12 - Column 13 after 10 minutes"

5 - DELAY for 15 minutes, then send to Plant Manager "Emergency... no response to alarms dispatched for - DRILL - Bay 12 - Column 13 after 15 minutes"

So, within about 1/2 second of the SPC detection that the drill is trending towards wearing out, a message is displayed on the Marquee, AND, the operator on duty, whomever that may be, gets notified via however he gets text messages (his pager, his cell phone, his email...).

When the operator gets this message, he is supposed to immediately go out to Bay 12, Column 13, and turn the machine off. When this happens, the PosMon system (which is constantly monitoring the production counts and the up/down status of these machines in real-time) sends another request into the ANS server: "CANCEL any escalating alarms for Bay 12 - Column 13"... this is a totally separate system from the Tool monitoring system (and SPC system, for that matter), but that is the point; the ANS is a CENTRALIZED integration tool for a lot of shop-floor activity; it acts as GLUE to bind the functionality of these disparate systems into a plant-wide “synergy of efficiency”!!

When the CANCEL request is accepted by the ANS server (from the POSMon system), it looks at any "PENDING ESCALATION MESSAGES" that have been previously queued up for Bay 12, Column 13.

So, the overall synergy among these 4 separate systems to implement this escalation strategy is:

-If the operator gets to the machine and shuts it down within 5 minutes of his initial notification, the ANS will CANCEL the messages that would have been sent to his line supervisor.

-If he doesn't get there within 10 minutes, his line supervisor gets a second warning.

-If he doesn't get there within 15 minutes, the Plant Manger gets a call.

This was really popular at the machining plants down in Mexico, where the personnel seemed to respond to these emergencies “MANYATTA”.

So, the big advantage of ENCAPSULATION I was eluding to earlier is this: The functions of alarming and notification, the data bases for who is on duty and how to communicate with them, the capability to escalate alarms into timed dispatches and be able to cancel these from multiple shop floor systems (etc., there is a LOT of functionality) is all CENTRALIZED!! This means that the programmers who write all of the HUNDREDS of different systems that require notification functionality NEVER have to do any of this, they just have to make "GENERIC" alarm request calls into the ANS, and I wrote a 50 page API guide to make it easy for everyone to do so.

Near the end of my 14 years on ANS, we added web interfaces allowing the data bases to be re-configured, and for alarm and cancel alarm messages to be accepted from any web browser running on the Ford intranet. Just before I left (in 2003), I added the capability to configure the escalation strategies in real-time... meaning that anyone can setup a strategy like the tool change escalation example, on-the-fly, without having to "Pre-configure" the data base.

The capability allows web users to BROADCAST 140 character message to a list of subscribers using dynamic web configuration requests. The messages can be scheduled for dispatch in a variety of ways.

THAT is what TWITTER does. I honestly believe it is very possible that “MY” Ford Motor Company ANS system was re-vamped by some savvy programmers, and it became twitter.

I have never used Twitter, myself, I'm OLD SCHOOL.. I like email.

Thanks for taking the time reading this.
DigitalReality
Banned User

Postby DigitalReality on April 14th, 2015, 12:27 pm 

TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, IS TWITTER OF ANY USE...

The point to my long explanation is the EFFICIENCY gained through encapsulation of functionality... A company can setup a list of subscribers ONCE and use it to send messages from different departments. A school board can set up a contact list for a snow emergency, and every school in the district can use it... do you see my point? By encapsulating this functionality of message dispatch into a single facility, the CONFIGURATION for it doesn't need to be DUPLICATED across possibly thousands of potential "Senders" and in addition, "Receivers" don't need to re-configure changes to their notification portfolios in each and every "Sender". If you change cell phones, or move into a hotel room with a computer but no phone access, you only need to tell twitter how to "tweet" you, not everybody in the world that sends you tweets.

So, in short, it is a great time-saver and in this day and age, I can foresee Twitter as taking on more and more functionality, especially when API programmers learn how to use it for efficient synergy of activities from disparate systems.
DigitalReality
Banned User

Postby Darby on April 14th, 2015, 2:04 pm 

Awesome backstory.

OT side story: Back in the mid 80's, one of my old friends in the cubicle next to mine at the time (and a weekly AD&D buddy) was a job shopper (read: programmer working for an agency who farms people out to different companies as needed), and one of the other places he part timed for the agency employing him at the time was a major bank (I think it was Chase), for whom he wrote a lot of the original software for the first ATM machines. It's too bad he couldnt patent it, or he'd be filthy rich. Woulda coulda shoulda.
Darby

Postby SciameriKen on April 14th, 2015, 2:23 pm 

Lots of potential with Twitter for good - but in a sense isn't twitter quite literally a waste of life? I refer to people who are swept into radicalization through twitter (i.e. ISIS), perhaps going on to die for the cause. I suppose it is necessary to take the good with the bad with new technology?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby DigitalReality on April 14th, 2015, 6:54 pm 

Darby » April 14th, 2015, 2:04 pm wrote:... he wrote a lot of the original software for the first ATM machines. It's too bad he couldnt patent it, or he'd be filthy rich. Woulda coulda shoulda.

The 80's? No back door? He's lying.
DigitalReality
Banned User

Postby DigitalReality on April 14th, 2015, 7:21 pm 

SciameriKen » April 14th, 2015, 2:23 pm wrote:Lots of potential with Twitter for good - but in a sense isn't twitter quite literally a waste of life? I refer to people who are swept into radicalization through twitter (i.e. ISIS), perhaps going on to die for the cause. I suppose it is necessary to take the good with the bad with new technology?

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Technology like this is what we, as "children", need to somehow learn to control.

Everybody has a nuclear bomb. Same deal.

What scares the heck out of me is what happened in Germany, back in the 20 and 30s... how an entire civilized nation can be brainwashed into believing anything... ANYTHING AT ALL, and BTW, my dad was there, he saw it all, he saw Hitler in a parade, with SS storm troppers sticking him in the back with their rifles to assure he did the "Hiel Hitler" thing as he drove by. He was wearing a yellow star on his arm, he was about 9 years old at the time.

http://spikersystems.com/FlashNet_Point ... rStory.htm

Mankind is SOOO gullible, and today, the Israeliis are doing the same to the Palistinians... how is this possible? BRAINWASH, that's how. Don't get me started on 9-11 and the FACT that most of Americans are BRAINWASHED. The mainstream news is TOTALLY corrupt, lulling us to sleep while 85 guys own half the world.

So, if your point is that Twitter might become such an instument of brainwash, I would guess YOU GOT A SOLID CONCEARN.

Humanity needs to wake up... PUT ON THESE GLASSES, OR START EATING THAT TRASH CAN!!!(the greatest fight scene in history)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9rrgJXfLns
6:22... LOOK! They're EVERYWHERE!!!
DigitalReality
Banned User

Postby Darby on April 15th, 2015, 7:08 am 

DigitalReality » April 14th, 2015, 6:54 pm wrote:
Darby » April 14th, 2015, 2:04 pm wrote:... he wrote a lot of the original software for the first ATM machines. It's too bad he couldnt patent it, or he'd be filthy rich. Woulda coulda shoulda.

The 80's? No back door? He's lying.

Mid/Late 80's yes, and not lying. I sat 1 cube away from him at the time. Ironically, I kidded him about it at the time, because we were both working on/with software for various parts of the FFG-7 frigate and the Trident nuclear sub (a somewhat glamorous project at the time, during the tail end of the cold war Reagan era), and here was my friend doing boring side work for a bank part of each week on (gasp) fiscal transaction software. *YAWN* Boy, was I wrong. Heh.

As for your screed about brainwashing, I think you're overstating things a bit ... but only slightly.
Darby

Postby DigitalReality on April 15th, 2015, 10:05 am 

Darby » April 15th, 2015, 7:08 am wrote:As for your screed about brainwashing, I think you're overstating things a bit ... but only slightly.

PUT 'EM ON!!
DigitalReality
Banned User

Postby Darby on April 15th, 2015, 11:57 pm 

??
Darby

Postby smfood on April 16th, 2015, 2:58 am 

It's useful, I can participate in friends' life even we live in different areas. I can know the latest news and information from Twitter. What's worry with it?
smfood
Forum Neophyte

Postby Percarus on April 17th, 2015, 6:08 pm 

I use Twitter but I don't like it. I find the fact that everything is summarized in a non-glamourized fashion very detrimental to its operations. The only use I find of Twitter is when you are having problems with a particular network (ie: Steam or similar) and you want to ascertain the cause of the problem quickly. I subscribe to main news networks with Twitter but I find a lot of the news utterly irrelevant to me. I prefer reading the paper or checking Yahoo news online or similar.
Percarus
Banned User

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby menacethoughts on May 24th, 2015, 8:56 am 

I strongly believe that it is both.

A very powerful tool for wasting moments in life.
menacethoughts
Forum Neophyte

Postby zetreque on May 25th, 2015, 8:49 pm 

I could never get into it.
-I could see how it could be used intelligently but as already pointed out most don't.
-Which leads to... too easy to get distracted with garbage.
-I have an extremely difficult time posting things in the limited character count. It's far to limiting to me. Maybe if tweets could be linked to blogs where you tweet the headline, then look up details? Maybe it's an attempt to tell your friends about your life when they don't care that much in the first place to spend more than 1 second reading a couple words posted throughout the day or week. So maybe they aren't really your friends in the first place, and you want friends that give you quality time to actually give meaning to your life?

IMO, I find it worthless because it's way too limiting! I also don't really have the desire to know current affairs as soon as they happen. I'll let the media twist the facts around with assumptions for a few months as they piece the story together, then I will look up what really happened later. Sure I might not know every story (ones that never really make it in the news) , but it's like I don't the time to put in the effort to figure out the story, that's what journalists are supposed to be for. I have my own life to live.

The only thing of use might be as the OP stated. To follow topics or specific people that you are interested in and it's useful to stay as current as possible. I can't think of anything in my life however that it would be useful for. Content is just lacking. It's more of a social trending/statistic/human psychology curiosity than anything. One that is probably just used to figure out how to market and manipulate people better, and find ways of increasing corporate profits, or achieving power by trying to predict future events.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Watson on May 26th, 2015, 11:27 am 

I don't get it either, as far as any value. I have it, just to see what it's all about. I get info from mostly space flight sites. I have sent comments that no one acknowledges, or apparently cares about. I'm told it is a good business tool for networking, but I'm not interested in testing it. I think the #nonsense is a link where you can expand on your thoughts if you need more space. I'd say it's a tool to raise a public profile. The rest of us are just tools, following the crowd.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Paralith on May 26th, 2015, 1:33 pm 

We (Now) Recognize Cory Booker, the Tweeting Senator From NJ

Like so many things it has the potential to be a powerful tool, but it all depends on how it's used. Cory Booker seems to have used it to great positive effect to demonstrate his willingness to connect personally with his constituents in all mediums. It's arguable that he's the one getting most of the benefit to his public image, but it does give his constituents another possible way to contact him and get his attention, even if the chances that he responds to any one individual might be rather low on average.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby zetreque on May 26th, 2015, 1:42 pm 

It might come out in the future that he was paying some ten year old to manage his twitter account while he was shacking up in hotel rooms with aliens?

Something I almost said in my last post is I almost wonder if it's like a chicken or egg problem. Are people like him forced to use it because of other people on it, or are people on it because they can connect to him?

Maybe the whole thing is a bad idea, and people just got sucked into it to the point where it's now a necessity even though it's garbage?

It's kind of like putting your dollar where your beliefs are to combat corporations. Do you buy food that comes in recyclable containers, local handcrafts, or do you cave in and buy the simple mass marketed throw-away Walmart items?

People refused to use facebook because of their standards, but they are the minority so it doesn't matter that much. Maybe though they could make a difference like the ones only buying products that come in recyclable containers or from sustainable sources?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on May 26th, 2015, 5:16 pm 

I doubt many people in Jersey are really going to connect with Booker on Twit. (I guess my nickname for Twitter conveys my opinion of it). I've heard, from a friend inside the Beltway, that the best way to get a response from a senator or rep. is still a snail mail....and, of course, any response will be written by an administrative aide or intern. LOL Zetre's conjecture re shacking with aliens and getting a child to handle the tweets....I've seen Booker in interviews and at the ABC Roundtable and he seems less likely to go that route. Jeb Bush, however, is a different matter. :-)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Paralith on May 26th, 2015, 6:28 pm 

Braininvat - not many, perhaps, but more than he would without it? And especially, more people in younger age groups, groups that take great cajoling just to get to the voting booths, let alone to do something like mail a physical letter to their rep's office?

zetreque - I think a lot of people use social media today because, as you said, masses of people are on it and they want to access those masses. It seems that a given social media platform needs to hit a kind of critical mass of participation before people will start jumping on purely to take advantage of the existing userbase. So there was something about Twitter that was initially appealing in and of itself, that was enough to pull in users and hit that critical mass. Twitter filled a niche of microblogging, like the OP said, offering people a way to quickly broadcast tidbits of info to all their friends/followers. The ease and speed of use was probably a key factor, I think. Twitter has none of the complications of Facebook and building and maintaining and protecting a profile. You sign up, you start shooting out messages into the public of the internet.

There is something about this that people found appealing. It fills some kind of need/desire that a lot of people have. I guess the real question is, what exactly is that need/desire which is being fulfilled, and is Twitter really the best/most healthy/most productive way to fulfill it?
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Braininvat on May 26th, 2015, 9:01 pm 

Good post, Para. A good point you make that politicians have to be practical and get to the younger demog however they can.

I do have larger issues with living in cyberspace too much, but that belongs in a Philosophy thread. And anything I express will be subtly undermined by my choice of medium. ;-)

Being part Irish, I do find the 144 character limit a crime against humanity. Or loquacity, at least.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on May 27th, 2015, 1:48 am 

Paralith » Tue May 26, 2015 3:28 pm wrote:There is something about this that people found appealing. It fills some kind of need/desire that a lot of people have. I guess the real question is, what exactly is that need/desire which is being fulfilled, and is Twitter really the best/most healthy/most productive way to fulfill it?

zetreque » Mon May 25, 2015 5:49 pm wrote: Maybe it's an attempt to tell your friends about your life when they don't care that much in the first place to spend more than 1 second reading a couple words posted throughout the day or week. So maybe they aren't really your friends in the first place, and you want friends that give you quality time to actually give meaning to your life?

I think it is a way for people to fill the void in their life from being lonely and needing the world to know they exist. I can certainly understand that. The quest for fame (and power)... is the other "need/desire" people have. It is interesting to wonder why that need/desire exists. If we could solve that desire maybe the world would be a much better place?

The sad thing is that like I was trying to say, people are taking any sort of attention they can get so they will eat up the micro-blogging like candy rather than seeking real content and real connections with friends. Too much time is spent on low content micro-blogging in our fast paced world to "keep up with the jones's", consume and feed the economy. High quantity low quality.

Posting to the internet fills some sort of void where at least it's out there for someone else to read (even if nobody ever does read it which is the case with most of my blogs and if I were to have a twitter or facebook. I tried them once...). Twitter just sucks because it's such lack of content. It works though, because most people out there can't seem to put more than a sentence at a time together anyway or I think places like this forum might be 1000x more active.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Return to Lounge Area