Super Powers

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Super Powers

Postby BadgerJelly on April 20th, 2015, 11:17 am 

I had a student the other day who wanted to have super powers and be able to move things with his mind. I told him could simply by asking someone to move something!

With all the super hero movies banging about at the moment I was wondering what super powers you would say we have that we take for granted ?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Super Powers

Postby Watson on April 20th, 2015, 11:53 am 

Life. Mobility, dexterity, intelligence. Trees are alive, but lack these super powers.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on April 20th, 2015, 12:28 pm 

Continence. Especially in a society that consumes so much coffee.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on April 20th, 2015, 1:42 pm 

I would say having the ability to bring up memories filled with emotions and relive experiences to a certain extent ... sadly this seems to be countered by forgetting what I came into the kitchen for :'(
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on April 20th, 2015, 4:37 pm 

youtube "amazing people" or alike on youtube and you will get a lifetime worth of footage of humans with "superpowers".

There are some pretty incredible skills out there, particularly in the world of gymnstics/breakdancing/body movement stuff.

I guess my answer is simply hand-eye appendage-eye coordination.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Peace to the World on May 30th, 2015, 8:08 am 

ME...IM THE SUPER POWER :-)
Peace to the World
Forum Neophyte

Postby SciameriKen on May 30th, 2015, 10:52 am 

Possession of almost every bit of knowledge mankind has ever developed at my finger tips.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on May 30th, 2015, 12:34 pm 

What about the rest of it?
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on May 30th, 2015, 5:12 pm 

The ability to drain my sinuses instantly, even in August.

Ordinary humans don't want to be standing too close, when I wield this superpower.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on May 30th, 2015, 5:16 pm 

SciameriKen » Sat May 30, 2015 7:52 am wrote:Possession of almost every bit of knowledge mankind has ever developed at my finger tips.

I want to say Chuck Norris just because Chuck Norris jokes, but is that like Macguiver?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Eclogite on June 1st, 2015, 3:45 am 

Braininvat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 am wrote:Continence. Especially in a society that consumes so much coffee.
Speak for yourself! When I say I am incontinent I wish it meant I was visiting Paris for the opera.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 1st, 2015, 3:50 am 

Do you know how sensitive our fingers are?

Out sense of touch goes to the molecular level!! Pretty amazing.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 1st, 2015, 9:12 pm 

Hi BJ,

No wonder why when I stroke my face.. it feels like braille.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Daktoria on June 2nd, 2015, 3:19 am 

Time travel. We're always travelling into the future... one second at a time. :-P

Likewise, we can make time travel faster by having fun, and make it go slowly by becoming bored.

Have you ever noticed that happy people live the longest? It's not because their natural lifetime is longer, but because by living happy, they stretch that time out.

Likewise, miserable people often live the shortest because their time is squished together.
Daktoria
Banned User

Postby Eclogite on June 2nd, 2015, 4:22 am 

Daktoria » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:19 am wrote:Likewise, miserable people often live the shortest because their time is squished together.
I'm not sure that is true. It is analogous to the statement "The coward dies a thousand deaths". Speaking as a coward, this ignores the point that the coward also experiences a thousand miraculous rebirths.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Daktoria on June 2nd, 2015, 12:07 pm 

Eclogite » June 2nd, 2015, 3:22 am wrote:
Daktoria » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:19 am wrote:Likewise, miserable people often live the shortest because their time is squished together.
I'm not sure that is true. It is analogous to the statement "The coward dies a thousand deaths". Speaking as a coward, this ignores the point that the coward also experiences a thousand miraculous rebirths.

Would you expand on what you mean in the second part please?
Daktoria
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on June 3rd, 2015, 12:58 pm 

Have you ever noticed that happy people live the longest? It's not because their natural lifetime is longer, but because by living happy, they stretch that time out.

Or they live longer because happiness is a neurological state that fosters a stronger immune system, lower resting heart rate and BP, and overall good health. There's kind of a positive feedback loop there: being happy is good for your health, and good health contributes to one's feelings of happiness...
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on June 3rd, 2015, 1:05 pm 

Doesn't time fly when you're having fun ?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Daktoria on June 3rd, 2015, 1:20 pm 

Braininvat » June 3rd, 2015, 11:58 am wrote:

Or they live longer because happiness is a neurological state that fosters a stronger immune system, lower resting heart rate and BP, and overall good health. There's kind of a positive feedback loop there: being happy is good for your health, and good health contributes to one's feelings of happiness...

Not necessarily. Some happy people live rather unhealthy lives, but still live longer than usual.

On the other hand, maybe time being stretched out is why those healthy things happen as well. :-P
Daktoria
Banned User

Postby Dave_Oblad on June 3rd, 2015, 5:49 pm 

Hey BJ,

"Time is fun when you're having flies" said one frog to another.

As per the OP, I'd say our Vision is most remarkable. We tend to believe that what we see is what is there. It actually isn't. For example, take a sheet of undeveloped film.. expose it briefly to a scene.. then develop it. What do you get? Pure snow/noise! Light that surrounds us is a lot like Snow on a TV screen. It is Photon Noise coming from every direction. Only thru the use of a lens can the light be organized for its angle of travel.. thus creating an image on a surface that can be properly interpreted.

Another sense that we have but is seldom listed as a real sense is the sense of Balance. My brother's Ex had an sinus infection that spread to her ears and she lost her sense of Balance. Motion of any sort is very nauseating to her and she can barely walk. That sense is much more important than we give it credit for.

Gotta run..

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby BadgerJelly on June 5th, 2015, 12:10 am 

Another sense that we have but is seldom listed as a real sense is the sense of Balance. My brother's Ex had an sinus infection that spread to her ears and she lost her sense of Balance. Motion of any sort is very nauseating to her and she can barely walk. That sense is much more important than we give it credit for.

Tell me about it! :(

My sinuses are useless!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area