Youtube: TV Playlists of Interest

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Youtube: TV Playlists of Interest

Postby Darby on August 10th, 2015, 1:37 pm 

I dunno how many people on this site, if any, are interested in Hindu literary classics, but I just finished a long overdue rebuild of linkages to a great 1980 adaptation of the Mahabharat by BR Chopra. It's in Hindi, with English subtitles, and runs 94 eps totalling about 70 hrs.

Mahabarat (1980) by BR Chopra - Hindi w/English Subtitles (94 eps):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... GAD-bhrIG-

To help put it in context for newcomers, think of it as being somewhat analagous to a sort of three way cross between Cecil B. Demille's Ten Commandments, Homer's Illiad, and Alex Haley's "Roots", in that it tells an epic multi-generational cautionary tale of a great dynasty, and their great war with their mortal enemies, as well as the actions and influences of numerous Gods and Demons during a pivotal time in India's collective pre-history. As with all quasi-religious epics, it's jam packed with allegory, morality plays, miracles, cautionary tales (both good and bad), fighting, love, loss, intrigue, betrayal, magic (both human and divine), curses, extravagant oaths, treatises on social etiquitte, et al. It's a literary smorgasboard of historical fantasy, hindu faith, and Indian culture.

It's a great story, if you have the patience to sit through 70 hrs of subtitles, and don't mind low-budget special effects. Enjoy.

------------
Physics footnote: Oppenheimer's famous quote "Behold ... I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds" is a quote by Krishna from the Bhagavad Gita, excerpts of which are included in this particular adaptation of the Mahabharat {culminating in Ep 74 of the playlist above when Krisha reveals his divine form to Arjuna before the decisive Battle of Kurukshetra}.
Last edited by Darby on August 10th, 2015, 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Darby

Re: Youtube: TV Playlists of Interest

Postby Darby on August 10th, 2015, 1:48 pm 

My next project, as time and interests permits, will be to try to track down a playlist (or make one of my own) for the original B&W Flash Gordon serials starring Buster Crabbe. I loved those as a kid, and would like to see them all again while there's time.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 19th, 2015, 10:15 pm 

Darby » August 10th, 2015, 1:48 pm wrote:My next project, as time and interests permits, will be to try to track down a playlist (or make one of my own) for the original B&W Flash Gordon serials starring Buster Crabbe. I loved those as a kid, and would like to see them all again while there's time.

... and DONE.

Playlist includes the 1936, 1938 and 1940 movie serials (39 episodes), plus two standalone movies from 1934 and 1938.

Complete Flash Gordon (B&W movie serials)

I didn't actually upload any of these ... I just created & organized a playlist pointing to existing uploads by others. In any case, I'm looking forward to rewatching them all.
Darby

Postby Darby on September 3rd, 2015, 3:39 pm 

I cobbled together several more playlists on my YouTube channel, if anyone's interested:

> Zatoichi: Movies (25 theatrical movies)
> Zatoichi: TV Series (4 seasons totalling 100 episodes)

For those who've never had the pleasure watching zatoichi, here's the playlist blurb I wrote:
This is probably THE greatest wandering 'peasant hero' serial of all time, and spans numerous TV episodes and theatrical movies in both Noir and Color. It was very popular in Japan throughout the 1960's and 1970's.

It's the long running tale of Ichi (trans: First, Primo) ... the blind, kind-hearted and adorable wandering masseuse whose miraculous skill with sword and dice make him the scourge of backwoods bandits, corrupt gamblers, gangsters (yakuza) and heartless death-dealing Samurai alike. He is the unexpected lower caste savior of the ill fated and helpless downtrodden, and the living antithesis of the arrogant vain and amoral privileged elite who ruled with iron fists during the Feudal era of Japan. Ichi is also a powerful counter cultural icon for modern day wage slaves yearning to throw off the soul crushing shackles of rat race burdens & social caste restrictions for the carefree vistas of untravelled backroads, living an unscripted life of empowerment and the simple pleasures of living in the moment ... fragrant flowers, plentiful sake, simple food (and lots of it), easy money, chance encounters, carefree laughs, righting social wrongs, and whatever wonders the next day brings.

Ichi has long been one of my imaginary best friends ... whenever life left me feeling helpless, Ichi was there on the screen for me, leading chin up by example and saddled with heavier burdens than mine. Shintaro Katsu's onscreen charisma is so great that you can't help but want to reach through the screen, give him a comforting hug, share some sake, and stand by his side ... a rare gift among actors.

Other recent additions:
> SciFi Classics
> SciFi B-Movie Classics <-- "Plan 9 from Outer Space" is a must see. The best of the worst.
> Star Trek: FanFic <-- some new additions: USS F Scott Fitzgerald is a good animated series.
> Mahabharat Misc <-- The 2-part English adaptation by Peter Brooks is highly recommended
Darby

Return to Lounge Area