TV: What's new on Netflix and Amazon

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

TV: What's new on Netflix and Amazon

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 5:31 pm 

NETFLIX (USA): Wow, a lot of old favorite b-martial arts movies from the 70's & 80's are suddenly arriving on netflix. A welcome blast from the past.

Just a small sample:

> Executioners from Shaolin (1977): Quentin Tarantino borrowed the immortal "Pai Mei" for his Kill Bill 2*.
> Kid With The Golden Arm (1979)
> Five Shaolin Masters (1974)

------------------------------
** Stuntcasting commentary: To elaborate, the reintroduction of pai mei was just one of two big tips of the hat 1970's martial arts cinema ... the other was the casting of Sonny Chiba as Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill 1. Only a cinema geek would know this, but Sonny Chiba was a huge star in his day in the genre. He was the star of many movies, most notably "The Street Fighter". No sign of the latter on netflix yet.

Ok, that's my explanatory good deed for the day. Time to put my shirt back on, to hide my fanboy scars. ;-)
Last edited by Darby on August 24th, 2015, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darby

Re: TV: What's new on Netflix and Amazon

Postby Serpent on August 24th, 2015, 5:44 pm 

Bawk! I only get Netflix Canada, and have pretty much exhausted their abbreviated repertoire. Later this year, when our current satellite contract ends, we'll be shopping for entertainment options.

Which is better - Netflix or amazon?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on August 24th, 2015, 5:48 pm 

Wonderful that those movies are available. I remember seeing Ringo Lam's City on Fire, which served as the inspiration for Reservoir Dogs. Tarantino copied the scene of the bad guy shooting at the cops with a gun in each hand; and borrowed the theme of the undercover cop who bonds with one of the crooks he has to bust.

But these periodic Netflix announcements make me sad when I realize how short we've fallen from the original promise of the digital revolution. We were supposed to have everything on demand. I get a sudden craving to watch some long-forgotten film. I click, I pay, I watch. That's the promise.

Instead, we're all subject to the whims of mid-level executives hashing out licensing agreements among copyright owners and distribution channels. It's all so tedious. Who knew that the future would be so clunky?
Last edited by someguy1 on August 24th, 2015, 5:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
someguy1

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 5:51 pm 

Serpent » August 24th, 2015, 5:44 pm wrote:Netflix or amazon?

They're apples and oranges, and don't really overlap that much.

Here in the US, Netflix is currently the best deal for a monthly $8 fee for unlimited watching ... mostly older movies and older TV series. They have a very large inventory of movies, although titles do come and go. Amazon is an on-demand per movie rental model, with a special emphasis on newer movies. Hulu is similar to netflix, but with more emphasis on newer run TV series.

I currently use the following, from most to least: cablevision, youtube (via PS4/Wifi), and netflix, followed by Amazon in a distant 4th.
Darby

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 5:54 pm 

someguy1 » August 24th, 2015, 5:48 pm wrote:But these periodic Netflix announcements make me sad when I realize how short we've fallen from the original promise. With the digital revolution we were supposed to have everything on demand. I get a sudden craving to watch some long-forgotten silent film? If it's been digitized, I can watch it. That's the promise.

Instead, we're all subject to the whims of mid-level executives hashing out licensing agreements among copyright owners and distribution channels. It's all so tedious. Who knew that the future would be so clunky?

So true.

Even worse when we recall the original promise of cablevision, which was for a monthly premium we purchased unlimited TV with clear reception, and (drumroll) ZERO COMMERCIALS. Ah yes, the heady early days ...

Then cable decided to double dip by selling us out to the advertising industry anyway.
Darby

Postby Serpent on August 24th, 2015, 8:27 pm 

Darby » August 24th, 2015, 4:51 pm wrote:I currently use the following, from most to least: cablevision, youtube (via PS4/Wifi), and netflix, followed by Amazon in a distant 4th.

Thanks.

These days, I'm watching a lot of You Tube, but have three big problems with it. The quality of both picture and sound is often poor, especially with the older BBC productions. Series I start watching are suddenly yanked without notice. And I'm running out of memories of good shows.

I guess, when we get the HMA account, I'll switch to the US Netflix.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Darby on August 24th, 2015, 8:41 pm 

Serpent » August 24th, 2015, 8:27 pm wrote:
Darby » August 24th, 2015, 4:51 pm wrote:I currently use the following, from most to least: cablevision, youtube (via PS4/Wifi), and netflix, followed by Amazon in a distant 4th.

Thanks.

These days, I'm watching a lot of You Tube, but have three big problems with it. The quality of both picture and sound is often poor, especially with the older BBC productions. Series I start watching are suddenly yanked without notice. And I'm running out of memories of good shows.

I guess, when we get the HMA account, I'll switch to the US Netflix.

Several things you can do to upgrade youtube quality:

> For PC viewing, your picture quality is capped by the lowest common denominator of the following: Monitor, Video Card, and Modem/Bandwidth. If you can up all 3 to support 1080+, you'll be compatible with HD copies (if they exist) of whatever you want to view, and you can set your options to upscale automatically to the best option available. I just upgraded my PC monitor from 24" 720p to 27" 1080i, so this is timely.

> For TV viewing, make sure your TV is 1080i or better (if smart TV), and ditto if you're viewing youtube on a non-smart TV though a console using Wifi ... make sure your console and router are both set to support 1080+ and that your TV can handle it (my TV only handles 720p ATM).
Darby

Postby Serpent on August 24th, 2015, 10:28 pm 

Thanx X 2.

I think the tv is as good as we can get (afford); HD and big screen. Good quality picture and sound on pretty much everything from 1990 on. Probably, the older stuff was originally recorded on inferior equipment.
Right now, I have a date with a can of DAB and Pauline Quirke in episode 4 of Down to Earth One of my favourite things about older BBC shows is that the characters look like real people, not plastic surgeons' wet dreams.
Serpent
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area