Sci/Phil Chat forum history

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Sci/Phil Chat forum history

Postby vivian maxine on October 22nd, 2015, 10:36 am 

I cannot find it but, about a week ago, someone posted a history of how Science/Philosophy Chat forum came to be. Part of that story mentioned that the time came when they were convinced that philosophy should be part of the Science forum. Is there any chance that the discussion about philosophy joining the science forum is still online? Or would it long since have gone to archives? I would like to read it because it not only would answer some questions I've had but it might tie in with something I was reading last night. Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Sci/Phiil Chat forum history

Postby BioWizard on October 22nd, 2015, 10:43 am 

This discussion?
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on October 22nd, 2015, 11:01 am 

Ah! You had this paragraph:

"SCF sprung to three times the size of the MSN group in it's first year. It was attracting a diverse group of members, many of which had philosophical/theological predispositions, so clearly a philosophy section was in demand in order to maintain proper compartmentalization within the forum sections.

I was wondering if there was a discussion about the relationship between philosophy and science that made them real partners. I know there is such a relationship. Was just wondering if anyone laid out some "evidence" that would add to what little I know. Or, was it perhaps just a case of science discussions turning into philosophical discussions and the need to categorize becoming apparent? If it was the first, I wanted to see some of that.
Thanks.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 22nd, 2015, 11:07 am 

I wouldn't describe my initial discussion with mtb about joining forums as being epistemological in any way. I think we both took it as a given and saw merit in having that kind of scope in a single forum. That said, I'd be more inclined to describe it as a strategic decision. Quickly scanning over some of the other big forums out there, it seems like none of us is unique in that respect (almost everyone appears to have a sci and a phil section). Some of them have also added a standalone section for social sciences (which, in principle, I'm not opposed to).
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby vivian maxine on October 22nd, 2015, 11:17 am 

BioWizard » October 22nd, 2015, 10:07 am wrote:I wouldn't describe my initial discussion with mtb about joining forums as being epistemological in any way. I think we both took it as a given and saw merit in having that kind of scope in a single forum. That said, I'd be more inclined to describe it as a strategic decision. Quickly scanning over some of the other big forums out there, it seems like none of us is unique in that respect (almost everyone appears to have a sci and a phil section). Some of them have also added a standalone section for social sciences (which, in principle, I'm not opposed to).

All right. Thank you. For a long while, I just had this vague notion of philosophy becoming science. Before that I didn't connect the two at all. Then time moved on. Last night I was reading Chapter 2 of Fritjof Capra's "The Web of Life" and got quite an enrichment on how science has grown step by step and the different theories that have come and gone. Some of those showed the philosophical (metaphysical?) bent. Vitalism, for example. Another book-clipse.

Thanks, again.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Indoctrination

Postby Faradave on October 22nd, 2015, 12:24 pm 

Ph.D. = "doctor of philosophy", even if its in science. This speaks to Bio's reference to Natural philosophy as a precursor to science.
Faradave

Re: Indoctrination

Postby vivian maxine on October 24th, 2015, 8:33 am 

Faradave » October 22nd, 2015, 11:24 am wrote:Ph.D. = "doctor of philosophy", even if its in science. This speaks to Bio's reference to Natural philosophy as a precursor to science.

Faradave, is there a link to somewhere regarding this? Search isn't helping. Thank you.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Sci/Phil Chat forum history

Postby mtbturtle on October 24th, 2015, 10:03 am 

Vivian, some stuff got moved to Feedback. I think Dave is referencing Bio's comment here viewtopic.php?f=8&p=289975#p289961
BioWizard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:25 am wrote:
vivian maxine » 22 Oct 2015 10:17 am wrote:All right. Thank you. For a long while, I just had this vague notion of philosophy becoming science. Before that I didn't connect the two at all. Then time moved on. Last night I was reading Chapter 2 of Fritjof Capra's "The Web of Life" and got quite an enrichment on how science has grown step by step and the different theories that have come and gone. Some of those showed the philosophical (metaphysical?) bent. Vitalism, for example. Another book-clipse.

Thanks, again.

I wouldn't argue with that. Natural philosophy is a precursor of science. It just wasn't specifically what prompted me to add on a philosophy section at the time. In hindsight though, I'm very glad that it happened, and that it happened early on. And I'd like to add a social science section at some point. But of course that'd require some work and rallied resources, and right now I'm a bit preoccupied with career stuff.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby vivian maxine on October 24th, 2015, 10:18 am 

Thank you, mtbturtle.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Entitlements

Postby Faradave on October 24th, 2015, 10:53 am 

Faradave wrote:Ph.D. = "doctor of philosophy", even if its in science. This speaks to Bio's reference to Natural philosophy as a precursor to science.

vivian maxine wrote:Faradave, is there a link to somewhere regarding this? Search isn't helping. Thank you.

Ph.D.
"In the context of academic degrees, the term philosophy does not refer solely to the field of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense in accordance with its original Greek meaning, which is "love of wisdom"."

Also here,
"In the West during the early modern period the term "Science" and "Natural Philosophy" were sometimes used interchangeably to refer to the study of natural phenomena, and until the 19th century, natural philosophy (which is today called "natural science") was considered a branch of philosophy.

In modern usage "science" most often refers to a way of pursuing knowledge, not only the knowledge itself. In the 17th and 18th centuries scientists increasingly sought to formulate knowledge in terms of laws of nature. Over the course of the 19th century, the word "science" became increasingly associated with the scientific method itself, as a disciplined way to study the natural world, including physics, chemistry, geology and biology. It is in the 19th century also that the term scientist began to be applied to those who sought knowledge and understanding of nature
"

But there are those who, not taking themselves too seriously, offer a different translation.
Faradave

Postby vivian maxine on October 24th, 2015, 12:31 pm 

Thank you, Faradave. And this no doubt explains how "honorary" degrees can be granted to those who never studies in the field?

Ph.D.
"In the context of academic degrees, the term philosophy does not refer solely to the field of philosophy, but is used in a broader sense in accordance with its original Greek meaning, which is "love of wisdom"." (Faradave)

My apologies. I've been reading an overwhelming number of posts this morning.
Last edited by vivian maxine on October 24th, 2015, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby mtbturtle on October 24th, 2015, 12:35 pm 

Vivian, you mean Faradave not Darby :)
mtbturtle
Banned User

Return to Lounge Area