Live to 120 years.

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Live to 120 years.

Postby Watson on November 30th, 2015, 12:41 pm 

One of those seems like a good idea, but...
http://news.nationalpost.com/health/no- ... ood-health

....but what about the growing world population rate, if a large portion of the population don't do what they have been expected to do, and instead live for several decades longer.

....but will it be available to everyone, or only those that can pay a premium for it. If you can't take it with you, may as well just stay longer.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Live to 120 years.

Postby Braininvat on November 30th, 2015, 12:59 pm 

Watson » November 30th, 2015, 10:41 am wrote:
....but will it be available to everyone, or only those that can pay a premium for it...

I think we both know the answer to that one. :-(

One thing I am fairly certain of: such a drug, widely used, will mark the beginning of the end of our biosphere, at least as we know it. I would not want to live to be 120 in such a world. Imagine the kind of war between haves and have-nots we see right now....increased exponentially.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby SciameriKen on November 30th, 2015, 5:36 pm 

The number 120 comes from an increase of ~50% seen in C. elegans with metformin. I suspect since our biological systems have significantly greater complexity and redundancy, enabling us to live ~80 years while the little worms only live about 3 weeks (Mice also get about 30% boost from metformin - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3736576/). Metformin is already in use as a method to control diabetes and I suspect like resveratrol that more benefits will be seen with this drug in a diseased person compared to a healthy person.

To address your points Watson - the goal here is not to necessarily increase lifespan (number of years lived) - but increase healthspan (The number of years lived near full functional capacity). Boosting healthspan would have tremendous benefits for society as its not really the fairly independent 90 year old that is a drain on society, but rather the aged person who has several co-morbidities and a laundry list of prescription drugs.

The second point was addressed in the article that metformin is at least relatively cheap (25 cents a day) - but I don't think this can be had without a prescription and I believe the jury is still out on what exactly it is doing :)
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Watson on December 1st, 2015, 1:49 am 

I understand some people can, or are benefiting for medical reason, but if word gets out about anti-aging effects, people will be popping them like cheap vitamins. The worst thing that could possibly happen is they work part of the time. Even that would have an increase in world population numbers.

In any case, I agree with BiV. I'm good without it.

A baby girl born in 2014 in Canada is expected to live to an average age of 84 years, and a boy to 80, according to Statistics Canada. But if the results seen in animals are reproduced in humans, lifespan could increase by nearly 50 per cent, to about 120.
Watson
Resident Member

Postby BubbleGum on February 3rd, 2016, 7:36 am 

I totally agree with you guys… sure, growing that old sounds rather cool but it will become a huge problem for our society. Population numbers have been growing extremely fast during the past few centuries and because of that, experts and scientists are already advising against food and water shortage… so, if we don’t find a planet B, earth will be overcrowded rather soon :/
BubbleGum
Forum Neophyte

Postby Watson on February 4th, 2016, 11:03 pm 

Soon??
Watson
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on February 4th, 2016, 11:36 pm 

exactly. Depends on who you ask. :)
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby doogles on February 5th, 2016, 2:50 am 

It becomes a bit ho-hum hearing about these treatments that will extend our lifespans. I've heard of quite a few in my time.

I know that one case does not represent a statistically-viable population fo research, but I've been taking metformin for maybe 8 years now. During that period, my diabetes has remained pre-clinical, and I'd say it may have been quite useful in that regard.

But over the last ten years I've had progressively-developing severe atherosclerosis with 50 to 75% stenosis of ALL arteries from my lower abdominal aorta to my knees, and with actual occlusions of right and left anterior and posterior tibial arteries. I have had progressively worsening chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder. That's in addition to progressive arthritis of the ankles.

I think I am now on to cure for the atherosclerosis, but 500 mg metformin daily was not slowing the progression of any of my conditions. I'd suggest not holding the breath for it to meet the claims made in the OP.
doogles

Return to Lounge Area