Hi! It's Marshall! I finally was able to log in!

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Hi! It's Marshall! I finally was able to log in!

Postby Marshall on January 9th, 2016, 11:21 pm 

Hi people, I've been trying for what seems like ages to log in and it finally worked.
I don't understand what the problem has been. Where are Paralith and Mtb? And all.
Maybe they are using the wrong browser, and there is a bug?

Firefox seems to work better for me. Maybe it's something to try.
Marshall
Honored Member

Re: Hi! It's Marshall! I finally was able to log in!

Postby Serpent on January 10th, 2016, 2:37 am 

Everybody : Hello, Marshall!

That's what happened to us with Netflix. (Different computer.) It was giving all kinds of error messages, attempting to log in and crapping out, or succeeding for and crashing after ten seconds. We switched over to Firefox, no more problems, for over a month now. Still using Internet Explorer for You Tube, since it has all my bookmarks, and that's been fine.

I suppose it's one of those idiosyncratic software incompatibilities.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Marshall on January 10th, 2016, 2:47 am 

Hi Serpent! Good to hear from you. I really missed this place during the 8 or 9 days when I couldn't log in.
Finally this afternoon I happened to try using Firefox, and no problem.
It's interesting that you had a similar experience--problems ended when you switched over to Firefox.

I wish I could get a message to the other members who are still shut out. It could be as simple as using the wrong browser---a browser-specific bug in the system.
Marshall
Honored Member

Postby Watson on January 10th, 2016, 5:51 am 

Several of us had a problem logging in on new years.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Marshall on January 10th, 2016, 6:17 am 

Watson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:51 am wrote:Several of us had a problem logging in on new years.

I remember! I got an email notification of a PM from you right around then which the system would not let me read because it kept asking me to log in. New Years was when the problem really became severe, I could visit the site and read, but couldn't post because I couldn't log in. There was a time when it seemed you were the only SCF member at the site. A strange experience, like being the last human being on Earth. (I think I recall that's how you described it.)

I could see who was at SCF and for a long time it was just you and some bots, as far as I could tell. Watson, if you don't mind saying, what browser do you use. It's possible the system has a bug which is somehow browser-specific. Your browser may be one of the most compatible (after the New Year's shakeup when nobody could log in, the soonest to gain access).

I was able to log in for the first time yesterday 9 Jan, when I happened for the first time in a long time to be using Firefox as browser.
Marshall
Honored Member

Postby mtbturtle on January 10th, 2016, 8:48 am 

Hi Marshall, I'm here. Haven't seen Paralith. I only use firefox and haven't had any log in problems. Although, I don't think I tried to login New Years Day - went to see Star Wars though.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on January 10th, 2016, 11:10 am 

I use either Android or Renard de Feu, no problems with either. Jan.1 nobody could login, due to the domain name lapse, which Bio fixed and was discussed in another thread (in Lounge, IIRC).
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Watson on January 10th, 2016, 12:56 pm 

There was a time when it seemed you were the only SCF member at the site. A strange experience, like being the last human being on Earth. (I think I recall that's how you described it.)

Yes I was still logged in from the night before, and had no hint of a problem until I got a PM from Vivian. It was quiet a while later I found I also had no access. Fortunately it happened before I really run a muck. I have chrome these days. I thought the system had worked through its problem after the first few days.

There does seem to be a bit of panic/withdrawl (or insanity, if you can, and are all alone....) when you can't access the forum. I recall at time it just disappeared, gone for several days.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Serpent on January 10th, 2016, 7:00 pm 

I'm still resisting the blandishments of M10, so no software changes at this end.
In the past, inexplicable computer glitches have usually befallen us when one program had been updated or replaced by a newer version.

The garbled page on first and sometimes second try, followed by success, has been the only symptom I experienced of any problem accessing this site.

There is another one I haven't been able to get to for months, but I'm pretty sure that's down to a moderator locking out the IP address of my entire work-place because he was mad at one of my colleagues and had no excuse to ban him.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Paralith on January 12th, 2016, 2:30 pm 

Hi Marshall. I have been lurking but haven't seen much I've felt like participating in lately. I haven't noticed any log in problems, but I don't think I ever tried to log in during the period you're describing.
Paralith
Resident Expert

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby minime on January 12th, 2016, 11:54 pm 

I just had my first problem > email link and was told I had not permission to view thread, thats with Opera
minime

Postby Braininvat on January 13th, 2016, 1:00 pm 

Sounds like it didn't take your login. You might have to go to the main page and login manually, if that happens.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area