What's a Neophyte?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

What's a Neophyte?

Postby Jägerbombastic on May 3rd, 2016, 10:58 am 

Kinda of a Noob question but how does the ranking system here work? do you need to make a certain amount of posts to change it or join a group? Also who here is new?
Jägerbombastic

Re: What's a Neophyte?

Postby Eclogite on May 3rd, 2016, 11:40 am 

It is an automatically assigned "identifier". As you suspected it changes with the number of posts you make. I suppose as a moderator I should know what the different levels are and how many posts are required to attain each, but I confess I don't. I should definitely know where that information can be looked up. I don't. I am looking into changing my title to Forum Ignoramus.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Jägerbombastic on May 3rd, 2016, 12:21 pm 

Eclogite » May 3rd, 2016, 11:40 am wrote:It is an automatically assigned "identifier". As you suspected it changes with the number of posts you make. I suppose as a moderator I should know what the different levels are and how many posts are required to attain each, but I confess I don't. I should definitely know where that information can be looked up. I don't. I am looking into changing my title to Forum Ignoramus.

Haha funny man. where do I go to look it up? I'd really appreciate it.
Jägerbombastic

Postby mtbturtle on May 3rd, 2016, 12:24 pm 

It'll change to member at 50 posts. After that I'm not really sure what the post #s are. I think resident expert comes around 5000 (?) resident member 2000 (?) Active member 1000.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Jägerbombastic on May 3rd, 2016, 12:32 pm 

mtbturtle » May 3rd, 2016, 12:24 pm wrote:It'll change to member at 50 posts. After that I'm not really sure what the post #s are. I think resident expert comes around 5000 (?) resident member 2000 (?) Active member 1000.

Thanks mate :)
Jägerbombastic

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 3rd, 2016, 7:57 pm 

Hi Jägerbombastic,

I think MTB is correct except for Resident Expert. I believe that is an Honorary Distinction based on the quality of posts in a given Field of Science.

Regards,

Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mtbturtle on May 3rd, 2016, 8:00 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Tue May 03, 2016 6:57 pm wrote:Hi Jägerbombastic,

I think MTB is correct except for Resident Expert. I believe that is an Honorary Distinction based on the quality of posts in a given Field of Science.

Regards,

Hi Dave,

I think it can be both.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Dave_Oblad on May 3rd, 2016, 8:12 pm 

Hi MTB,

I'm sure you would know better than I, but I've seen another fellow get Resident Expert (in Electronics) at about 3000 posts and, if someone suffered from Diarrhea of the Keyboard (remember Leo?), who could easily hit 5000 posts in a few months, but was not an Expert at anything (except typing perhaps).. and was just plain argumentative.

Best Regards,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby mtbturtle on May 3rd, 2016, 8:30 pm 

Dave_Oblad » Tue May 03, 2016 7:12 pm wrote:Hi MTB,

I'm sure you would know better than I, but I've seen another fellow get Resident Expert (in Electronics) at about 3000 posts and, if someone suffered from Diarrhea of the Keyboard (remember Leo?), who could easily hit 5000 posts in a few months, but was not an Expert at anything (except typing perhaps).. and was just plain argumentative.

Best Regards,

that sounds about right Dave. BioWizard is busy at the moment, but perhaps when he's free, he'll stop by and clear things up for us.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby Eclogite on May 4th, 2016, 6:56 am 

Jägerbombastic » Tue May 03, 2016 4:21 pm wrote:Haha funny man. where do I go to look it up? I'd really appreciate it.
I genuinely don't know. I just think that I should know.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Jägerbombastic on May 4th, 2016, 9:06 am 

Eclogite » May 4th, 2016, 6:56 am wrote:
Jägerbombastic » Tue May 03, 2016 4:21 pm wrote:Haha funny man. where do I go to look it up? I'd really appreciate it.
I genuinely don't know. I just think that I should know.

No worries someone already told me, thanks tho :)
Jägerbombastic

Postby BioWizard on May 7th, 2016, 8:19 am 

Dave is correct. Resident Expert is bestowed upon members who demonstrate scholarship (and typically formal training) in a field - often scientific (historically I've been the one to give this title, but I welcome nominations). Same applies to Forum Moderator and Forum Admin. As for the other titles (with the exception of Banned User, of course), they are automatic, by post count. I don't recall the exact limits but IIRC they're posted somewhere in the Announcements forum. If not, then we need to make a post about them.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby mtbturtle on May 7th, 2016, 8:21 am 

I thought we had a post about it someplace but I couldn't find it. I'll check Announcements now.
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby mtbturtle on May 7th, 2016, 8:27 am 

I found this post on the groups and ranking in the Announcements but it doesn't give the number of posts or much info.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=13054
mtbturtle
Banned User

Postby BioWizard on May 7th, 2016, 8:44 am 

Here's the table from ACP. Can you please make a post about it in announcements mtb?
Attachments
image.jpeg
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Jägerbombastic on May 9th, 2016, 5:22 pm 

Thanks BioWizard :)
Jägerbombastic

Return to Lounge Area