notebooks

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

notebooks

Postby BadgerJelly on May 31st, 2016, 3:57 am 

Just curious how many members out there write down theiir philosophical musing?

I have been doing so for a while and have found that I often return to certain passages I have written with a new light. It is almost like I am reading someone elses thoughts when I read something I wrote weks or months before only with a unique insight into the concepts trying ro be used.

Have you experienced this?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: notebooks

Postby Eclogite on May 31st, 2016, 10:20 am 

I have stumbled across my posts on other forums, several years old, that I had forgotten writing. I have found them interesting and have sometimes been pleasantly surprised by their quality.

In some cases I have read the posts without realising I was the author. My reaction has been "Yes, this guy really knows what he is talking about. I couldn't have said this better myself!" It is then embarrassing to realise that, clearly, I didn't.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Re: Confessing an "ediction"

Postby Faradave on May 31st, 2016, 12:48 pm 

Ditto.

If I host a thread, I compose the posts off line, in my word processor, and save a copy along with substantive replies. It makes searching for a previously used diagram or description much easier, years later. When I do go back, I'm often impressed to find a better expression for a concept than the one I was currently thinking of writing. It gets me wondering how many neurons I've lost since then.

Nevertheless, I often find myself re-editing old posts. Sometimes this is to accommodate current discoveries but more often it is an attempt to communicate better to whomever I'm currently addressing. That's the real challenge. I can never be sure if the image I'm conjuring in the other person's mind is the one I intend. It can be maddening, when I find myself losing the reader, trying to figure out how it occurred.

Recently, I lost Lincoln (of all people), in a Physics thread, with just a three-word sentence! I wrote, "Force is lightlike." to which he replied, "I don't have the faintest notion of what the phrase "Force is lightlike" means."

While an amateur might not understand, "force" and "lightlike" are physics terms with specific meanings!* The whole exchange got worse from there and I was left to wonder if we both come from the same planet. What hope can there be for longer sentences and non-physicists.

So, I edit.

*While it is common in Newtonian mechanics to represent force as a vector in space (i.e. having a magnitude and a purely spatial direction), in the spacetime of relativity, a force corresponds to a lightlike interval, exhibiting the same trajectory as its purported, massless "force carriers".
Last edited by Faradave on May 31st, 2016, 1:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Faradave

Postby zetreque on May 31st, 2016, 1:00 pm 

I have a folder full of text files going back years that I hope to someday have time to go back and read through, organize and improve upon. I sure hope that day comes when I have that time.

I vaguely recall an experience that Eclogite mentioned as well as the OP.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on May 31st, 2016, 1:12 pm 

Glad its not just me Eco! Haha!

Faradave -

Yeah! Sometimes I have found myself going all out to put something down on paper only to find my attempts a shadow of what I wrote several months ago.

Once I found myself on this forum writing an incredibly long winded reply to a post I was almost in complete agreement with, but doing my best to oppose, only to realise halfway through that I was replying to my own thread! Hahaha! I try to do this anyway, but I am usually conscious of the fact!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area