She just made my day

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

She just made my day

Postby vivian maxine on June 20th, 2016, 10:47 am 

I put this here because, while not really funny, it helps to take it that way. I omit the company's name because this really did happen to me an hour ago.

I called a company for some information. Of course the person who answered was somewhere in Asia. I do have a terrible time with their accents. That isn't their fault, but mine. I apologized and asked her to please transfer me to someone who speaks American.

Her reply: "I am the best there is right now."

Ah! Give her credit for self-confidence. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: She just made my day

Postby Natural ChemE on June 20th, 2016, 10:54 am 

vivian maxine,

That's a neat perspective!

It's amazing to read some of their stories too. Many of those Asians working in outsourced phone support jobs come from very poor backgrounds, where they're happy to have gotten some technical training to speak English and talk about whatever they're supposed to be helping with. To them, it's like getting what getting into a top-tier university is like to an American.

Admittedly it can be annoying when the phone operators can't even speak English very well, but their stories certainly are inspiring. Calling such a hotline reminds me how privileged we are, and serves as a reminder to not take what I've been given for granted.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on June 20th, 2016, 11:01 am 

Natural ChemE » June 20th, 2016, 9:54 am wrote:vivian maxine,

That's a neat perspective!

It's amazing to read some of their stories too. Many of those Asians working in outsourced phone support jobs come from very poor backgrounds, where they're happy to have gotten some technical training to speak English and talk about whatever they're supposed to be helping with. To them, it's like getting what getting into a top-tier university is like to an American.

Admittedly it can be annoying when the phone operators can't even speak English very well, but their stories certainly are inspiring. Calling such a hotline reminds me how privileged we are, and serves as a reminder to not take what I've been given for granted.

That is what I keep telling myself once I've calmed down. But it is so frustrating. And - what I didn't tell her - she wasn't following the rules. Either she wasn't or the company has not provided the proper route for her to do the transfer.

Thank goodness I managed to laugh after it was over. I did have to hang up after making an effort. Still don't have the information. :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Athena on July 29th, 2016, 12:32 am 

In some cases, their work environment has to be really bad. At least once the background noise was so bad I just couldn't take it anymore. Like we are struggling to understand what is being said, while the background noise increases the problem, and I tell them I don't want to be rude, but I just can not cope with the situation. What is the employer thinking? It just screams poverty and suffering and that is not good for the trust that is needed to do business.

Many have high pitched voices that are hard to hear and are grating on the nerves as well. Makes me want to fly over and give them voice lessons.
Athena
Banned User

Return to Lounge Area