Pokemon Go technology distraction

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Pokemon Go technology distraction

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 2:17 pm 

speaking of technology viewtopic.php?f=117&t=30923. What is the deal with this pokemon Go app?

For the past 3 days, people young and old, have been running around the college library and campus with their eyeballs glued to their phones playing this game. It seems nothing more than going around to GPS points, flicking the screen for pokemon creatures to pop out and collecting them. As if people walking out into the street not paying attention glued to their phones wasn't already bad. I wonder how many people are going to get killed over this app. I saw a youtube video yesterday where someone said... "If you trespass on someones property playing, at least wear a mask or something so they can't identify you". I would be bored with that game in 5 seconds flat. Is this like new wave stamp collecting or something?

seriously? I'm trying to actually study here and learn something in the library.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: thinking about Alvin Toffler's legacy

Postby vivian maxine on July 16th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Did they pass their entrance exams? Or, are entrance exams given any more? Maybe it's just "c'mon a-my house, c'mon" and you get what you get: idiocy.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 2:56 pm 

vivian maxine » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 am wrote:Did they pass their entrance exams? Or, are entrance exams given any more? Maybe it's just "c'mon a-my house, c'mon" and you get what you get: idiocy.

It's members of the public. There are no classes in session right now. Except I'm studying for a college board test and there are a couple other people studying here in the library for various things.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on July 16th, 2016, 3:12 pm 

Oh! OK! GPS? They have to go where those little black ear rings tell them to go?

Good luck to you in your exams.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 3:28 pm 

Soon as I can figure out the names of these stops (without a cellphone) I am going to request they be removed. It's too distracting from learning.

http://venturebeat.com/2016/07/14/pokem ... op-or-gym/

Ridiculous
"That’s why Niantic is now taking requests to help determine the future of the what’s the most lucrative app in the $36.9 billion mobile gaming market"
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Re: Pokemon Go technology distraction

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 4:24 pm 

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/14/ ... inues.html

The following day a driver reportedly wrapped his car around a tree while playing “Pokemon GO” in upstate New York.

On July 7, a Reddit user lamented that “Pokemon Go put me in the ER” in a thread devoted to the game. “Not even 30 minutes after the release last night, I slipped and fell down a ditch. Fractured the fifth metatarsal bone in my foot, 6-8 weeks for recovery. I told all the doctors I was walking my dog lol... Watch where you're going, folks!,” the poster wrote.

“Pokemon GO” has already prompted a flood of warnings from police departments. “As you battle, train, and capture your Pokemon just remember you’re still in the real world!,” warned San Francisco Police Department, in a Facebook post Tuesday. Other law enforcement agencies have already reported accidents, injuries and robberies where suspects have used the game to lure victims, it added

This one said to be a hoax
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/07/14/ ... inues.html

Also read something about someone was distracted playing during the Nice Paris attack and was one of the 80 dead. prolly another hoax.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on July 16th, 2016, 4:39 pm 

I can believe it all having spent many a time at department store doors watching the parking lot to know when my cab is coming. People get out of their cars with those phones in full operation and their eyes glued to them. Constant traffic all around them and they never look up. Amazingly, I have not yet seen anyone get hit. As a friend used to say, "God protects children and fools."
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on July 16th, 2016, 8:00 pm 

I keep telling myself that nothing will amaze me, but this pokemon garbage is really just another step into insanity.
https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/video ... 778748161/

There are getting to be fewer and fewer places on this planet to get away from the insanity of humans. I can't seem to find any comfortable place in my already small town anymore.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby Lomax on July 16th, 2016, 11:58 pm 

zetreque » July 17th, 2016, 1:00 am wrote:I keep telling myself that nothing will amaze me, but this pokemon garbage is really just another step into insanity.
https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/video ... 778748161/

There are getting to be fewer and fewer places on this planet to get away from the insanity of humans. I can't seem to find any comfortable place in my already small town anymore.

Heidegger said we should spend more time in graveyards. Forget libraries, I recommend the cemetery for uninterrupted reading time. Or maybe people will be going there for Gastly and Cubone.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby zetreque on July 17th, 2016, 12:03 am 

There isn't any graveyard in my town, and I don't even know where the nearest one would be...
Reminds me of this thread.
http://sciencechatforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=28368

I wouldn't be surprised if they had these stupid pokemon gyms at graveyards too.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on July 17th, 2016, 12:21 am 

zetreque » Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:03 am wrote:There isn't any graveyard in my town, and I don't even know where the nearest one would be...
Reminds me of this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=28368

I wouldn't be surprised if they had these stupid pokemon gyms at graveyards too.

You are coming out pretty strong against these poor pokemons :)

I think it is a big positive to see many people who a lot probably never exercise, finally at parks and moving around. I think Pokemon designers have to a better job ensuring the game works in safe areas -but this can be a very positive thing for societal health.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on July 17th, 2016, 12:24 am 

SciameriKen,

you aren't trying to study biology inside of a library with lord of the flies going on inside and outside 10am - midnight or later.
:)
I can't go home because it's noisy there, and we just determined there are no graveyards here. lol
And if there were, I'm not sure it would be a comfortable temperature with wifi.

I have moved to the furthest back corner room possible of the library and still hear them yelling. I need better headphones. :/
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby vivian maxine on July 17th, 2016, 7:17 am 

As SciameriKen says:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 181715.htm

It's healthy for body and mind. It's just badly arranged. Or carelessly arranged?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area