managing phosphorus

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

managing phosphorus

Postby Athena on August 31st, 2016, 10:16 pm 

I don't know which forum this should go in? If we should have international laws assuring a fair distribution of phorphorus, does not seem like a philosophical question to me. The thread in the philosophical forum, about how to resolve our problems, lead to me considering this problem.

The link assures us there is plenty of phorphorus but its availability for argriculture seems an economic one, and failure to assure a fair distribution based on human values rather than money, will surely hurt the poorer nations most. So should we manage this problem with international law?

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2013/04/01/phosphorus-essential-to-life-are-we-running-out/

With a world population that is projected to reach 9 billion by 2050 and require 70 percent more food than we produce today, and a growing global middle class that is consuming more meat and dairy, phosphorus is crucial to global food security. Yet, there are no international organizations or regulations that manage global phosphorus resources. Since global demand for phosphorus rises about 3 percent each year (and may increase as the global middle class grows and consumes more meat), our ability to feed humanity will depend upon how we manage our phosphorus resources.

Athena

Return to Lounge Area