Why I am voting for better pizza

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Why I am voting for better pizza

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:04 pm 

Paul and kudayta,

A little off topic, but I just noticed on Facebook that our very famous Lou Malnati's Pizza has opened up in Phoenix. That is some really wonderful (deep dish) pizza guys. Have either one of you been to their new location in Phoenix?

http://ktar.com/story/1287305/more-is-b ... enix-area/
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: Why I am voting for Trump/Pence

Postby kudayta on October 13th, 2016, 8:08 pm 

ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:04 pm wrote:Paul and kudayta,

A little off topic, but I just noticed on Facebook that our very famous Lou Malnati's Pizza has opened up in Phoenix. That is some really wonderful (deep dish) pizza guys. Have either one of you been to their new location in Phoenix?

Yeah, it's right up the road from my place. Good pizza. Not as good as Barro's though.
kudayta

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:14 pm 

kudayta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:08 pm wrote:

Yeah, it's right up the road from my place. Good pizza. Not as good as Barro's though.

Their thin crust pizza is nothing to get excited about. Did you try the deep dish? Is Barro's strictly thin crust pizza?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 13th, 2016, 8:14 pm 

I want pizza!
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:18 pm 

If you are still living in Florida Bio, the pizza I had down there when I was on vacation was pretty bad.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 13th, 2016, 8:20 pm 

You didn' know where to go then :]
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby Paul Anthony on October 13th, 2016, 8:22 pm 

IMO, the best pizza in the Phoenix area is Streets of New York Pizza, but since I moved to Gilbert it's just too long a drive.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:35 pm 

BioWizard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 pm wrote:You didn' know where to go then :]

Any good places in Naples, Miami/Fort Lauderdale?...that's where my friends live. It is supposed to be a really bad winter in Chicago this year, so I might have to head down there to escape.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 13th, 2016, 8:37 pm 

I don't know much about the Naples area, but I can recommend some excellent places in Dade.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:43 pm 

Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm wrote:IMO, the best pizza in the Phoenix area is Streets of New York Pizza, but since I moved to Gilbert it's just too long a drive.

Is it like authentic N.Y.C pizza Paul?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:47 pm 

BioWizard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:37 pm wrote:I don't know much about the Naples area, but I can recommend some excellent places in Dade.

My best friend from Chicago lives in Fort Lauderdale and is always complaining about the pizza down there: Can you recommend a place in this general area or South Beach?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 13th, 2016, 8:51 pm 

Most of the best eateries are in the new trendy (in the local sense) areas though, not on SoBe (which tends to be more touristy). Let me know when you're getting closer and I'll PM you some good names.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Why I am voting for Trump/Pence

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:57 pm 

And if you are in a pinch, Home Run Inn is famous for their thin crust pizza in Chicago, and their frozen pizza is available in many other areas of the country. It is by far the best of the bunch, if you are stuck eating frozen pizza some bad winter night.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 8:59 pm 

BioWizard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:51 pm wrote:Most of the best eateries are in the new trendy (in the local sense) areas though, not on SoBe (which tends to be more touristy). Let me know when you're getting closer and I'll PM you some good names.

Thanks Bio.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Re: Why I am voting for better pizza

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 9:02 pm 

What is rather strange about Chicago is how people from outside the city think we all eat deep dish pizza all the time, when thin crust pizza is far more popular here.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on October 13th, 2016, 9:03 pm 

ronjanec » 13 Oct 2016 07:57 pm wrote:And if you are in a pinch, Home Run Inn is famous for their thin crust pizza in Chicago, and their frozen pizza is available in many other areas of the country. It is by far the best of the bunch, if you are stuck eating frozen pizza some bad winter night.

Cool I'll check them out.
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 9:06 pm 

BioWizard » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:03 pm wrote:
ronjanec » 13 Oct 2016 07:57 pm wrote:And if you are in a pinch, Home Run Inn is famous for their thin crust pizza in Chicago, and their frozen pizza is available in many other areas of the country. It is by far the best of the bunch, if you are stuck eating frozen pizza some bad winter night.

Cool I'll check them out.

I hate anything frozen Bio, but again their frozen pizza is really good...for frozen.
Last edited by ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on October 13th, 2016, 9:09 pm 

ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:43 pm wrote:
Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:22 pm wrote:IMO, the best pizza in the Phoenix area is Streets of New York Pizza, but since I moved to Gilbert it's just too long a drive.

Well, it's how I remember NY pizza. Their sauce is excellent, and that makes a good pizza.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 9:19 pm 

Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:09 pm wrote:
ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:43 pm wrote:

Well, it's how I remember NY pizza. Their sauce is excellent, and that makes a good pizza.

Yup, you can't have a great pizza without excellent sauce Paul, but you must also have excellent crust to make a great pizza(We Chicagoans are extremely picky about our pizza)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on October 13th, 2016, 9:54 pm 

ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:19 pm wrote:

We Chicagoans are extremely picky about our pizza.

Yeah, so are we Italians. :) Growing up, most of my friends weren't Italian, but ALL of my relatives were.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on October 13th, 2016, 10:16 pm 

ronjanec » October 14th, 2016, 1:14 am wrote:
kudayta » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:08 pm wrote:

Their thin crust pizza is nothing to get excited about.

Are you kidding me? The best thing about New York is Seventh Ave. Pizza and cheesecake as far as the eye can see! I still drool at the memory.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 10:20 pm 

Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:54 pm wrote:
ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:19 pm wrote:

We Chicagoans are extremely picky about our pizza.

Yeah, so are we Italians. :) Growing up, most of my friends weren't Italian, but ALL of my relatives were.[/quote

My favorite place for pizza right now is actually a Sicilian Italian Restaurant Paul(Palermo's): And my favorite Italian food is also Sicilian(It used to be that the Chicago mob guys usually had their own large table whenever you went to a good Sicilian restaurant here, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore)
Last edited by ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 10:34 pm 

Lomax,

If you ever make it to Chicago, you will soon forget about that greasy New York style pizza Lomax. Cheesecake? blah. I will take a big piece of delicious chocolate cake over that any day(And if you also try the fabulous Mexican food that we have here in Chicago you will never go back to the U.K.!)
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on October 13th, 2016, 11:10 pm 

ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:34 pm wrote:Lomax,

If you ever make it to Chicago, you will soon forget about that greasy New York style pizza Lomax. Cheesecake? blah. I will take a big piece of delicious chocolate cake over that any day(And if you also try the fabulous Mexican food that we have here in Chicago you will never go back to the U.K.!)

Chicago is a long way from Mexico. Maybe you should come to Arizona.
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 11:22 pm 

Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:10 pm wrote:

Yes, but we (also) have a very large number of Mexicans living here Paul. I thought Arizona was more of a Tex-Mex type food area? Our restaurants here are strictly Mexican food restaurants with no Texas influence.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Lomax on October 13th, 2016, 11:25 pm 

Well it's nice to be in demand. I've clearly got a lot of eating to do before I can make an informed vote.
Lomax
Forum Administrator

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 11:32 pm 

Lomax » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:25 pm wrote:Well it's nice to be in demand. I've clearly got a lot of eating to do before I can make an informed vote.

Phoenix is not even close to being in the competition for the best food in the US Lomax. Chicago's only real competition in the US for the title is NYC.(and they have almost no Mexican restaurants there, which is a big strike against them for the title).
Last edited by ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Paul Anthony on October 13th, 2016, 11:50 pm 

ronjanec » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:22 pm wrote:
Paul Anthony » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:10 pm wrote:

Yes, but we (also) have a very large number of Mexicans living here Paul. I thought Arizona was more of a Tex-Mex type food area? Our restaurants here are strictly Mexican food restaurants with no Texas influence.

Arizona isn't Texas. The Mexican border is closer to Phoenix than Texas is. There's a whole state between us!
Paul Anthony
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on October 13th, 2016, 11:57 pm 

"Arizona isn't Texas. The Mexican border is closer to Phoenix than Texas is. There's a whole state between us!"

Again, I thought the big deal in Phoenix was Tex-Mex food Paul, not strictly Mexican food? No?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 2nd, 2016, 9:48 pm 

Feeling the excitement yet, Ron?

GO CUBS!

108 stitches in a regulation baseball, 108 years of drought....
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Next

Return to Lounge Area