final shots (for humor purposes only)

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

final shots (for humor purposes only)

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 11:12 am 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gmmBi4V7X1M

Seth Meyers makes today's choice (USA residents) easy for you?
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: final shots (for humor purposes only)

Postby SciameriKen on November 8th, 2016, 11:18 am 

This sums it up for me :D
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 1:12 pm 

I will say, I've never heard quite so many people (on all sides) talk about possibly moving to Canada if their person doesn't win. For us, that would mean Winnipeg and....well, it would take a pretty bad situation to induce me to move to Winnipeg.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby PerfectZero on November 8th, 2016, 2:52 pm 

My question is what would constitute as a bad enough situation? Amendments will always stand strong (though can be limited) ex. documented ammo as such in California , But what would drive an American away? I'm not much of a political connoisseur but i also here this statement far to often.
PerfectZero
Forum Neophyte

Postby Dave_Oblad on November 8th, 2016, 4:14 pm 

Hi all,

I am moving to Arizona.. in a month or so. Mostly because I live right on top of the San Andreas fault. My house represents a crucial investment for my future survival. But I also want to move away from SoCal due in small part of a possible Nuclear War.. where I see such a danger being more likely if Trump wins.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 8:22 pm 

https://mobile.twitter.com/AmandaMarcot ... 41/photo/1

Another amusing, and perhaps, revealing pic.

Pfect 0: I doubt anyone is seriously planning emigration from the US, unless they were already looking for an excuse. As for constitutional threats, the fear is more who a Trump admin might appoint to replace Scalia and a soon-retiring Ginsburg. And if they would take the hard look needed at gerrymandering and voter suppression shenanigans. Defending the 14th amendment is an eternal process. (This was meant to just be a funny pics and links thread, so I should shut up now....)
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Natural ChemE on November 8th, 2016, 9:11 pm 

Braininvat,

Yeah, that's pretty much it. I'm not a fan of Clinton; she doesn't strike me as the sort of principled leader that I'd want, and I kinda doubt that she'll do much for America.

But, jeeze, Trump's just evil. While America's going to survive no matter how horrid our president is, I think that his contempt for factual reality would do structural damage to the underlying mechanisms that run America, and more broadly, the human endeavor.

Going into the election, FiveThirtyEight predicts 71.8% odds on Clinton and 28.2% on Trump. For folks who think that that's a clear Clinton victory, think about it: Trump's got better than 1-in-4 odds; he's not favored, but that's a real possibility.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on November 8th, 2016, 9:44 pm 

If anyone wants to stay up and watch the results, I'm a fan of FiveThirtyEight's Live Election Night Forecast.

Until today, FiveThirtyEight was making projections based on survey polls and historical data. Now, as results roll in, they're replacing their projected results with actual results, reducing uncertainty. Once uncertainty is reduced enough, it should show a winner.

At the moment, it's got 75% Clinton vs. 24% Trump - though, again, a 24% chance isn't a 0% chance.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on November 8th, 2016, 11:09 pm 

Popular opinion has it that Trump's now the more likely winner.

Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight posted to remind folks that their live election forecast is based on pre-election forecasts and called states:
2016 Election Night: Live coverage and results, FiveThirtyEight wrote:NATE SILVER 9:56 PM
As a reminder, the odds you see on the right-hand side of this page are based only on pre-election projections and called states. Clinton isn’t really a 73 percent favorite right now — Trump holds narrow leads in many swing states, some of which are likely to be called for him eventually, so her actual odds are probably lower.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby SciameriKen on November 8th, 2016, 11:33 pm 

Natural ChemE » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:09 am wrote:Popular opinion has it that Trump's now the more likely winner.

Nate Silver of FiveThirtyEight posted to remind folks that their live election forecast is based on pre-election forecasts and called states:
2016 Election Night: Live coverage and results, FiveThirtyEight wrote:NATE SILVER 9:56 PM
As a reminder, the odds you see on the right-hand side of this page are based only on pre-election projections and called states. Clinton isn’t really a 73 percent favorite right now — Trump holds narrow leads in many swing states, some of which are likely to be called for him eventually, so her actual odds are probably lower.

I've been anti Hillary a lot - but damn this is scary and unexpected.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on November 8th, 2016, 11:44 pm 

SciameriKen » November 8th, 2016, 10:33 pm wrote:I've been anti Hillary a lot - but damn this is scary and unexpected.

Yeah, ditto.

They just posted this:
    Image.
Clinton's best chance right now is to win both Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, despite those counts leaning toward Trump.

Right now, it looks like Trump'll win the electoral college and thus the election despite losing the popular vote. But, I guess it's still too early to call.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Natural ChemE on November 9th, 2016, 12:25 am 

Alrighties, givenit seems like President Trump'll be a thing.

Time to buy stock in whatever company sells concrete near the US/Mexico border? Though the general stock market might take a beating.
Natural ChemE
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on November 9th, 2016, 1:35 am 

I'm leafing through my Russian phrasebook.

Dollar is dropping, foreign tourists will be happy.

Pundits really misread early voting trends, like the Latino surge. Didn't help Clinton in Florida.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby wolfhnd on November 9th, 2016, 2:50 am 

wolfhnd
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on November 9th, 2016, 4:40 am 

Hi all,

So Trump cinched it. This will be an interesting show to follow.

Meanwhile, California just made recreational Pot legal, while my city here in SoCal was trying to clamp down on Medical Pot.. so funny.

But still good for me, as I expect even more folks will be moving here while I am trying to move away to Tucson.

Good night all,
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 9th, 2016, 7:48 am 

Somwhere in the notes above, is an unwritten statement about math. It isn't always so perfect, is it? Do we realize how many people do not go to vote when they see that their candidate has already won by 84%? Or lost by the same amount? Are predictions part of the chaos theory?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 9th, 2016, 7:51 am 

Dave_Oblad » November 9th, 2016, 3:40 am wrote:Hi all,

So Trump cinched it. This will be an interesting show to follow.

Meanwhile, California just made recreational Pot legal, while my city here in SoCal was trying to clamp down on Medical Pot.. so funny.

But still good for me, as I expect even more folks will be moving here while I am trying to move away to Tucson.

Good night all,

Warning about Tucson, Dave. When the strong winds blow you get more than wind in your face. You get sand. Lovely town but .....
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on November 9th, 2016, 10:09 am 

Well I have to admit that I am stunned. On the one hand, I don't want to sound like a sore looser particularly since I think Canada will come out ahead on some key issues (I have always been against free trade and either way I predict a lot of money and brain drain north into Canada). However, on the other hand, at the very least I think things definitely will be very different in four years for a big chunk of the world and a lot of people will be shaking their heads and wondering why they didn't learn from history. Best I can say to you Americans is good luck and welcome to the reign of the Krazy Klown King.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 9th, 2016, 10:12 am 

You can't all move here!
We're taking American applications in order of urgency:
1.those with targets actually painted on them.
2. comedians originally from Canada,
comedians originally from England
US born comedians (Sorry, Stephen!)
3. left-wing female journalists
other female journalists
journalists
4. Latino judges
5. assorted Trump grudge victims
6. Winnipeg's full, but there may be room in Gimli (I hear Icelanders like furry creatures)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 9th, 2016, 10:40 am 

I'm investing in a Mexican company that manufactures ropes and ladders.

And whatever antioxidants Ruth Bader Ginsburg is taking to help her live 4 more years.

And a big thanks to all you precious Millenials who stayed home to have self-indulgent hissy fits about Bernie's loss. Or just wanted to feel smugly superior to the crass process of politics. Thanks SO MUCH.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Forest_Dump on November 9th, 2016, 10:52 am 

Serpent wrote:6. Winnipeg's full, but there may be room in Gimli (I hear Icelanders like furry creatures)

Yeah, but since I like some entertainment at "The Forks", maybe a few good comedians can stay in the Winterpig but the rest maybe can move up to Fort McMoney.

Braininvat wrote:And a big thanks to all you precious Millenials who stayed home to have self-indulgent hissy fits about Bernie's loss. Or just wanted to feel smugly superior to the crass process of politics. Thanks SO MUCH.

Yeah I bet a lot of them will be puking in their toilets this morning and wondering how this could have happened. Truth be told, it is precisely these people who might have the most to think about. But I think even a lot of Trump supporters will be surprised about what will happen. I can't wait to see how the markets react.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 9th, 2016, 1:49 pm 

Of course, Hitler started with mean talk, graduated to arson, intimidation of his own party and retribution against perceived antagonists, then armed takeover of the legislature, muzzling of the press, suborning of industry, persecution of minorities and political opponents, establishing military dictatorship, eventually going on to warfare on all fronts, culminating in genocide and the trashing of his own country.

.... early days, early days....
The up-side is, Hitler started younger.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm 

Serpent » November 9th, 2016, 9:12 am wrote:You can't all move here!
We're taking American applications in order of urgency:
1.those with targets actually painted on them.
2. comedians originally from Canada,
comedians originally from England
US born comedians (Sorry, Stephen!)
3. left-wing female journalists
other female journalists
journalists
4. Latino judges
5. assorted Trump grudge victims
6. Winnipeg's full, but there may be room in Gimli (I hear Icelanders like furry creatures)

--------------------

#7. Be aware that Canada's politics is much like America's.

Seriously, though, you are running too far behind in admitting your cousins. Last group I saw get in easily was the draft dodgers of - Vietnam or Korean war. All the other would-be flights are still among us and still threatening to leave. I'd say but what would they then have to complain about except that, as I just said, Canada has some pretty rough politics of its own. Guess they'd feel right at home.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby BioWizard on November 9th, 2016, 3:05 pm 

SciameriKen » 08 Nov 2016 10:33 pm wrote:I've been anti Hillary a lot - but damn this is scary and unexpected.

So this was not the outcome you wanted? Given the choice, would you have done anything differently?

I don't understand people sometimes. Ok, make that a lot :]
BioWizard
Forum Administrator

Postby vivian maxine on November 9th, 2016, 3:10 pm 

Item I heard on noon news today. News persons interviewing voters said 20-some % of those who voted for Trump said they knew he was not qualified to be president but they were so tired of what has been going on in the recent past that they decided to risk him for a change.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 9th, 2016, 4:07 pm 

vivian maxine » November 9th, 2016, 2:03 pm wrote:
#7. Be aware that Canada's politics is much like America's.

Seriously, though, you are running too far behind in admitting your cousins. Last group I saw get in easily was the draft dodgers of - Vietnam or Korean war. All the other would-be flights are still among us and still threatening to leave. I'd say but what would they then have to complain about except that, as I just said, Canada has some pretty rough politics of its own. Guess they'd feel right at home.

Not so rough! (In truth, I'm not sure any 'developed' nation has ever done it quite so roughly.) I guess we never had the same chasm between hostile populations. All the hatreds from the very foundation of America have been deliberately inflamed for decades and the scab had to come off sometime. I see from the odd snatch of news I can't avoid that there are lots of savage factions around the world that welcome this triumph over civilization. Not funny.

As for Americans in residence, the draft-dodgers mostly went home after the amnesty. We have lots of intellectual and religious refugees, though, including many from the second Bush victory. They bring no guns, speak and drive politely; blend right in.

they knew he was not qualified to be president but they were so tired of what has been going on in the recent past that they decided to risk him for a change.

What is it they think has been going that isn't about to get a lot worse?
Don't they know an incompetent tradesman always blames his tools?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 9th, 2016, 4:20 pm 

Oh, I agree, not as rough as what we just did. Speaking of guns, I'll share a true story - without names as you'll understand. A friend has a relative who is a sheriff in one of our states. One time he decided to take a vacation in Canada. There he went strolling over the line into B.C., gun at hip. Of course he was stopped and ordered to turn over his gun.

"Can't do that. I'm a sheriff in (name of state). I have a right to carry a gun." "Mister", said the officer, "you aren't in America any more."

He did turn over his gun and asked if he'd get it back when he went home. "We'll see", said the officer.

Neither i nor my friend ever found out whether he did get his gun back. He wasn't talking.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on November 9th, 2016, 4:35 pm 

Wow! Like many of you, I am just shocked and stunned at the outcome from last night!(I was hoping for a miracle, and stayed up to almost 4am watching the election returns on CNN) So much for (most of) the polls right?
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 9th, 2016, 5:07 pm 

Congratulations! I hope you get exactly the miracle you deserve.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby curiosity on November 9th, 2016, 6:16 pm 

In a two horse race between what are in fact pair of donkeys, is it really so surprising that a donkey won? I find it hard to believe that given the number of gifted and intelligent citizens residing in the USA you couldn't field two competent candidates to contest a presidential election.

BREXIT was a warning that unfortunately got ignored. It seems that a majority of the inhabitants of both the UK and the USA, are saying they have had enough of the same-old-same-old. Toss in some voter apathy and the result is ....

Que sira sira.
curiosity

Next

Return to Lounge Area