A Gentle Smile

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

A Gentle Smile

Postby vivian maxine on November 8th, 2016, 1:22 pm 

I just must share this. Who can argue with it? At our polling place this morning, they were handing out chocolate chip cookies as we finished our voting and were leaving. Nice? :-)
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Re: Good Deal

Postby Faradave on November 8th, 2016, 2:20 pm 

Good for you, Viv!

I normally have to donate blood for such consideration. Come to think of it I'd rather have given blood than voted this time around. Either way, duty called.
Faradave

Re: A Gentle Smile

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 2:29 pm 

Hehe. This day is in desperate need of levity.

OK if I move this to Lounge? We are shifting Politics to a more philosophy-based (political theory) theme, and away from specific political contests.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 8th, 2016, 2:33 pm 

Braininvat » November 8th, 2016, 1:29 pm wrote:Hehe. This day is in desperate need of levity.

OK if I move this to Lounge? We are shifting Politics to a more philosophy-based (political theory) theme, and away from specific political contests.

OK. I should have thought of Lounge. Applying it to Politics is an insult.

Probably the best story to come out of this miserable sham of a campaign.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 8th, 2016, 2:39 pm 

In Chicago, late 19th and early 20th century IIRC, (and other cities, as well) certain political bosses would give you free beer if you voted, but you had to vote for them specifically. Either cookies or beer would have been welcome, when I voted. Our ballot here was packed with referendum measures, which made it 3 pages long, and you had to be aware of the tricky wording of a couple of them before you went in. I really prefer the old-fashioned way, where you elect a legislator you mostly agree with, and they figure all this stuff out for you. This ballot made me head hurt.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on November 8th, 2016, 3:04 pm 

Braininvat » November 8th, 2016, 1:39 pm wrote:In Chicago, late 19th and early 20th century IIRC, (and other cities, as well) certain political bosses would give you free beer if you voted, but you had to vote for them specifically. Either cookies or beer would have been welcome, when I voted. Our ballot here was packed with referendum measures, which made it 3 pages long, and you had to be aware of the tricky wording of a couple of them before you went in. I really prefer the old-fashioned way, where you elect a legislator you mostly agree with, and they figure all this stuff out for you. This ballot made me head hurt.

It's an idea. Hard voting when you have to spend ten or fifteen minutes reading one proposition and thinking about it with all sorts of questions arising. We had a whole new system this year. Everything from start to finish was changed and improved. It started with our election notice which included a sample ballot that you could study, decide and mark as you plan to vote - all in advance. Just take it along and copy it. Add that to the great improvements at the polling places themselves and voting was almost a pleasure.

Maybe we should have bought them cookies?
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area