Errors in writing

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Errors in writing

Postby BadgerJelly on November 10th, 2016, 10:17 am 

It seems no matter how hard I try I make ridiculous mistakes, such as writing "surfaces" instead of "resurface". Of course I do notice other peoples mistakes too, but mine seem to be much more numerous than others.

Have you noticed this? And before you ask I do check over my posts 90% of the time and 100% of the time if they are longer. Regardless I still make too many mistakes.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem?

Note: Not going to check this post ... see if you spot any mistakes!?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Errors in writing

Postby BadgerJelly on November 10th, 2016, 10:22 am 

Just checked ... no mistakes. But I've been mistaken before!

Btw not talking about slight spelling mistakes, rather misordering of words and/or writing something such as "a common lasped behaviour being" instead of "a common lapse in behavioural being".
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Oscillation Situation

Postby Faradave on November 10th, 2016, 10:33 am 

If SPCF didn't limit editing (about 90 min.), I'd still be working on my first post! (Note the edit report below, on this very post!) I can't think of one that doesn't need adjustments. When I keep a copy for myself, the edits can go on for years. The way I conclude a post is actually "finished" is when I find myself repeatedly correcting "mistakes" back to a prior form. There seems to be an compositional uncertainty principle at work, which precludes precision of statements beyond a certain level.
Last edited by Faradave on November 10th, 2016, 10:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
Faradave

Postby Serpent on November 10th, 2016, 10:34 am 

Nope. Looks perfect. Maybe because you were so intent on the text itself, which concerns the text itself, if you see what I mean. Usually, we're preoccupied with conveying information or opinion about topics unrelated to the typing; we're so busy working out what we mean to say, we have no attention left over for the typing.

I make a lot of manual mistakes, like extra letters or numbers, where my fingernail catches the edge of the next key, or the wrong vowel or e and r ervresed because they're next to each other: blunt fingers better suited to carpentry than typing. I also make editing mistakes, where I've changed a sentence and either failed to remove all the words from the first version or removed too many. I also make mistakes in the actual composition, either because of haste or misunderstanding, that I may not notice until after i've posted.

I love (nit not live) my Edit button, use it often. Hate the site where they make you pay for one.

ETA - That was funny. My delayed response applied to both posts ahead of it.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby ronjanec on November 10th, 2016, 11:27 am 

Actually, I think most of us here do an excellent job of writing and composing our posts on the forum(many times in less than 15 minutes total): Versus the people who actually get paid for doing this for a living(newspaper people as one example), who instead get to take hours or days to write some real crap.
ronjanec
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 10th, 2016, 1:35 pm 

I never make spelling errors and have no smypathy for anyone who cmopailsn about it.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 10th, 2016, 3:40 pm 

On a funnny note just noticed a spelling error this evening in a well known burger joint ... "BUGGER KING SPECIAL"
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Eclogite on November 11th, 2016, 6:31 am 

I am unconcerned by a one or two typos in a medium to long post, whether it be one of mine, or that of another. I do get annoyed with myself when I type 'there' for 'their', or the other way around.

The worst error in writing I can recall making occurred in 1963. JFK had just been assassinated and we were asked, in our English class, to write an essay on our thoughts on this.

I opened with a paragraph summarising the events of the day. I had intended to write "Lee Harvey Oswald, the suspected assassin, fled to a cinema where police apprehended him." Unfortunately what I actually wrote was "Lee Harvey Oswald, the suspected assassin, fled to a cinema where police reprimanded him."

To this day it conjures up a mental image of a severe looking policeman shaking his finger at Oswald and saying "That was very naughty. I don't want you to assassinate any more Presidents."

On the plus side, it has made me much more careful in seeking to avoid Malapropisms in all my writings.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby dandelion on November 11th, 2016, 10:04 am 

It seems the more I wish to express ideas, the more mistakes I make!
dandelion

Postby wolfhnd on November 11th, 2016, 10:59 am 

I have been using my phone to post instead of a computer for a couple of years now. It makes typing a hassle. Most of the mistakes are because it changes words out and I don't notice. It also makes editing a hassle as selecting text can be time consuming.

I don't really notice other peoples mistakes. It is hard enough to focus on understanding what people are trying to say without worrying about spelling and grammar.

That said coming from and engineering background bad spelling and grammar can get you into a lawsuit you will lose and subsequently fired. Most people here are professionals and understand the importance of competence in the use of language. It is a good idea to not get lazy and develop bad habits.

In the end however the internet is a good forum to communicate with people you otherwise would not come in contact with. Especially people that belong to other political, ethnic, and cultural tribes. Some of these people are not native English speakers, have various educational backgrounds, have busy lives with limited time for chat, are censored, want to participate in areas they are not experts, and in general excusable for not devoting a lot of time making sure their spelling and grammar is perfect.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Eclogite on November 11th, 2016, 11:32 am 

wolfhnd » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:59 pm wrote:making sure their spelling and grammar is perfect.
I strive for adequacy in my internet posts, excellence in my professional work and perfection of any bastard who has the audacity to outwit me in a debate.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on November 11th, 2016, 12:27 pm 

dandelion » November 11th, 2016, 7:04 am wrote:It seems the more I wish to express ideas, the more mistakes I make!

I notice that when thumbtyping on a tablet especially. Eagerness, or a heated exchange of any sort, makes the thumbs miss more. For mexmample, iff I strat thninkng of thex recenet winnerg of o6ur presdidential rasce...

I've wondered, if humans stay with smartphones and tablets for a long period, if we will evolve pointier thumbs.

My most common error seems to be hitting letter c, instead of the spacebar. Likecthis. Really tiresome.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on November 11th, 2016, 12:32 pm 

Eclogite » November 11th, 2016, 3:31 am wrote:
I opened with a paragraph summarising the events of the day. I had intended to write "Lee Harvey Oswald, the suspected assassin, fled to a cinema where police apprehended him." Unfortunately what I actually wrote was "Lee Harvey Oswald, the suspected assassin, fled to a cinema where police reprimanded him."

To this day it conjures up a mental image of a severe looking policeman shaking his finger at Oswald and saying "That was very naughty. I don't want you to assassinate any more Presidents."

I think reprimands would be sufficient, at least for the next 4 years.

(Just kidding, NSA employee!)
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 11th, 2016, 5:03 pm 

I don't usually raise my virtual voice, except in mimicry, but

WHO TOOK MY LIKE BUTTON ?
I needed it four times in the last five minutes and it's *gasp* gone!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on November 11th, 2016, 5:08 pm 

Braininvat » November 11th, 2016, 11:32 am wrote:(Just kidding, NSA employee!)

Colonel Flagg has no sense of humour.
Afternoons when we have to conserve bandwidth, because Windows 10 has downloaded too much unsolicited and unwanted crap, we watch MASH on DVD. Depressingly appropriate.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 12th, 2016, 3:41 am 

Braininvat » November 12th, 2016, 12:32 am wrote:
Eclogite » November 11th, 2016, 3:31 am wrote:

I think reprimands would be sufficient, at least for the next 4 years.

(Just kidding, NSA employee!)

I imagine, much like Canadian Immigration, their servers have crashed due to such remarks ;)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby dandelion on November 13th, 2016, 5:18 am 

Serpent » November 11th, 2016, 10:03 pm wrote:I don't usually raise my virtual voice, except in mimicry, but

WHO TOOK MY LIKE BUTTON ?
I needed it four times in the last five minutes and it's *gasp* gone!

I'd like it if there were like buttons in these threads too.
dandelion

Postby Daviddd on November 13th, 2016, 10:19 am 

Does anyone suffer from this ? !!! Yes many I should think, though perhaps some spend more time proof reading... I for one do not....I probably should but I think there is more to it than that...
Daviddd
Forum Neophyte

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 5:21 am 

I have the same problem, Badger. No matter how carefully I scrutinize a post before clicking on that terrifying "submit" button it seems a few typos always make it through. A bit like shaking that thingy over the urinal in a public toilet -- could shake all day long, but a drop or two always remains to stain your trousers and ruin a hot date.

I take comfort from the fact that your condition appears more severe than my own. Try toilet paper.
Last edited by NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NoShips
Banned User

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 5:25 am 

P.S. There are a few posts (funny people!) in this thread I'd like to, um, "like". How come we sometimes get that "thumbs-up" option and sometimes not?

Drop everything till we get to the Alain de Botton of this.
NoShips
Banned User

Postby BadgerJelly on December 6th, 2016, 9:52 am 

NoShips » December 6th, 2016, 5:25 pm wrote:P.S. There are a few posts (funny people!) in this thread I'd like to, um, "like". How come we sometimes get that "thumbs-up" option and sometimes not?

Drop everything till we get to the Alain de Botton of this.

Probably due to fascism and sinister occult practices involving goats speen, baby hippopotamus ears and chives.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 9:55 am 

Well, why waste goats when we can sacrifice Canadians?
NoShips
Banned User

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 10:00 am 

I recall getting very angry about an English dude who made a joke like that about Scots. I was six years old, hadn't yet outgrown patriotism, and had apparently just been eliminated from the Monopoly game after one throw of the dice.

Still can't figure that one out.

Never liked people much since :-)
NoShips
Banned User

Postby BadgerJelly on December 6th, 2016, 10:53 am 

Here here! People are pure SCUM!!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 10:56 am 

Steady on, old boy. Just 98%.

Get a grip.
NoShips
Banned User

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 11:07 am 

And just before I go to bed, I see this:

"Please login or register in order to gain full user access to the forums"

Don't boss me around, ya bastards.

I mean, love this place. Goodnight all :)

Sorry, the rebellious spirit got the better of me. Happens these days even when I walk into a convenience store and they shout "Welcome!"
NoShips
Banned User

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 6th, 2016, 6:15 pm 

Hi Everyone,

The most aggravating aspect for posting here, for me, is my habit of proof reading an intended posting many times, like 15 passes or more, and posting it. I come back several hours later and reread my post with a fresh mind, pretending to be someone that hasn't read it before. Dammed if I don't find one or more errors I didn't catch on the excessive original effort put in proofing it before submitting it.

Being a Computer Programmer, I have a natural compulsion for perfection (at least within the scope of my language skills). I truly and absolutely hate making dumb mistakes. These are becoming more numerous as I age and I'm getting pretty old now.

Best wishes,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby NoShips on December 6th, 2016, 7:37 pm 

Fear not, Dave. I'm the dumbass who wrote in that thread about mental states (you're there too): "What's inside the skill is insufficient to determine a thought."

*groan* (too late to edit)
NoShips
Banned User

Postby Braininvat on December 6th, 2016, 8:23 pm 

We need a skillery maid to clean the place out, by jove.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Scruffy Nerf Herder on December 12th, 2016, 1:21 am 

BadgerJelly » November 10th, 2016, 7:17 am wrote:It seems no matter how hard I try I make ridiculous mistakes, such as writing "surfaces" instead of "resurface". Of course I do notice other peoples mistakes too, but mine seem to be much more numerous than others.

Have you noticed this? And before you ask I do check over my posts 90% of the time and 100% of the time if they are longer. Regardless I still make too many mistakes.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem?

Note: Not going to check this post ... see if you spot any mistakes!?

Depends on what you'd consider a mistake. This was an example of incorrect grammar: "other peoples". Everyone routinely makes mistakes of the kind that it would be unnecessarily splitting hairs over something that arguably shouldn't be considered one; as the common vernacular develops and propagates new usages of expressions and grammatical devices, the linguistic purist has to step aside because there aren't hard and fast, universal rules about what is technically correct when communicating.

So far as typos go? On balance you don't end up with typos in your posts much more than others of your kind who have the tendency; it's actually interesting to observe, and in that way form impressions about the thought and writing processes of others.

Being a writer, I am often "OCD" about my own material, and find myself proofreading a couple of times for typos and examples of unclear grammar. The compulsion doesn't bother me too much, although I realize that to an extent it can be irrational, because when revisiting something I'll also find a couple of tangents dangling in the text that I'd like to expand upon a bit.

So, from my perspective you don't "make too many mistakes". Normally you're able to communicate clearly enough, and we all have our trademark idiosyncrasies. It's really nothing you should be self conscious about overmuch.
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Next

Return to Lounge Area