Errors in writing

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Errors in writing

Postby DanielTorJJ on December 22nd, 2016, 9:33 am 

I want to start writing down every single question/thought down to clear up my thought process. Have any of you done this before? If you have, how did you go about doing it consistently?
DanielTorJJ
Forum Neophyte

Re: Errors in writing

Postby jocular on December 22nd, 2016, 10:10 am 

No, and it doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

On the other hand,this technique does produce results if you write down your dreams as soon as you wake.

After a period you will recollect whole reams of your previously unrecallable dreams.

It became tedious after a while (I gave it a few weeks) and I am not sure if there is an ultimate benefit but it was very interesting at first.

I think the idea is to become consciously aware of your dreaming process but ,as I implied the reason for achieving this was not clear to me and it did become tedious to me even if it was successful in its own terms.
jocular

Postby BadgerJelly on December 22nd, 2016, 12:11 pm 

Jocular -

People usually do this as a way towards lucid dreaming.

Daniel -

Writing down your thoughts and questions is a good idea imo. It helps frame your understanding and expand it. I think most people on hear have notebooks in which they thrash out random thoughts and questions.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 22nd, 2016, 4:28 pm 

Hi all,

I get a lot of Lucid Dreams. It happens when I question the reality within a Dream. For example a strong trigger is when my Late Wife pops into a Dream. Her death was a traumatic experience and becomes a strong trigger. If I see her then I'm triggered into a realization that I'm dreaming. It becomes a Lucid Dream. That's always fun because you are a GOD inside a Lucid Dream. The scene then switches to my usual desires such as Flying like Superman or being surrounded by my Harem of naked girls. (sometimes Flying with my Harem of naked girls..lol.)

I'm a pretty simple man.. actually...lol

Note: The girls are all over 18.. in case you question my use of the term "girls".

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on December 22nd, 2016, 5:31 pm 

BadgerJelly » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:17 am wrote:It seems no matter how hard I try I make ridiculous mistakes, such as writing "surfaces" instead of "resurface". Of course I do notice other peoples mistakes too, but mine seem to be much more numerous than others.

Have you noticed this? And before you ask I do check over my posts 90% of the time and 100% of the time if they are longer. Regardless I still make too many mistakes.

Does anyone else suffer with this problem?

Note: Not going to check this post ... see if you spot any mistakes!?

I posted this thread last year.
viewtopic.php?nomobile=1&f=83&t=29098&start=0

Sometimes the errors are so weird that I think about getting a camera to carry around with me recording everything I say and do. Then I can check back to compare reality versus my reality to see if the computer actually changed what I wrote or if I really did type the spelling or grammar error.

As a bonus, maybe I can constantly be uploading the video to youtube and get rich from my own reality show?
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Mjr Houlihan on January 14th, 2017, 7:43 pm 

zetreque wrote:
BadgerJelly » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:17 am wrote:It seems no matter how hard I try I make ridiculous mistakes, such as writing "surfaces" instead of "resurface". Of course I do notice other peoples mistakes too, but mine seem to be much more numerous than others.

Have you noticed this? And before you ask I do check over my posts 90% of the time and 100% of the time if they are longer. Regardless I still make too many mistakes.

Yes, I do and it's really frustrating isn't it but we are not alone with this: From Pintrest:

I gotta dig bick
You that read wrong
That awkward when you read that wrong too.
And wrote moment instead of awkward

Like you, it seems to affect me more than others but it is a known phenomenon and is why most writers need editors. It’s because we know what is intended; we know what we mean and don’t see what’s there no matter how hard we look at it. I’ve concluded that it’s something to do with expectation and familiarity and even wonder if being very careful makes it worse. This may be because concentration uses more energy that on average can’t be usefully sustained for more than about 20 minutes. This needs fact checking but I’m pretty sure the research suggest regular breaks for certain types of effort in order to be accurate. Concentration can be cultivated of course but there may be other obstacles to do with vision/perception that will vary in each individual.

This same phenomenon can also happen when painting a picture and suddenly you can’t see it anymore. There are known devices that help such as looking at the image in a mirror, turning it upside down or simply putting the canvas to the wall for a few days. I also find that with writing, I only see the error, once it is in another form such as posting it to a forum or sending it in an email then almost immediately ‘tsk, darn it’, there is the error you just couldn’t see before. Sometimes putting script into a different type face helps and also changing the colour but this isn’t full proof and I find the more I write, the more it happens, very frustrating especially when a written exchange is casual and meant to be fun.

One of the most famous Churchill quotes is a post script he put at the end of a very long letter that read:

“I must apologise for the length of this letter, I didn’t have time to write a short one”.

Happy Yew Near :D
Mjr Houlihan

Postby someguy1 on January 15th, 2017, 2:02 am 

BadgerJelly » November 10th, 2016, 8:17 am wrote:It seems no matter how hard I try I make ridiculous mistakes, such as writing "surfaces" instead of "resurface". Of course I do notice other peoples mistakes too, but mine seem to be much more numerous than others.

Note: Not going to check this post ... see if you spot any mistakes!?

I type my posts into forums quickly then read and fix them up via the Edit button. A lot of times I have to go through several Edit cycles before I'm done. That's normal. It's like writing in general. People say, "Oh I'm not a good writer." What that means is that they stop after their first draft, which generally sucks. Everyone's first draft sucks! The good writers are just people who keep fixing it till it doesn't suck so much.
someguy1

Previous

Return to Lounge Area