Confusion

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Confusion

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 6:47 am 

I want to say something, but don't know how to say it. What's worse is I don't know what to do with other than make attempts to communicate it. Any attempts seems to cover up the intent or display ideology in th worse sense of the word.

I am in a place something like "despair", but without the emotional drama of such a way of declaring so.

Basically I've found myself wanting.

As an analogy of what I am attempting to express consider this put into every reference of life and thought:
When you hold up a mirror before your eyes do you see the mirror or yourself.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Confusion

Postby Scott Mayers on November 25th, 2016, 6:54 am 

Wanting what? Are thinking on the lines of something novel or something lost or can you tell?
Scott Mayers

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 7:14 am 

Sorry, I meant literally "found wanting".

In pursuit of the gold at the end of the rainbow. So unsure which direction to go knowing it is an illusion, yet a useful illusion. Its in rhe journey, but not the arrival and all that mushy drivel.

I see problems and solutions, but no way to achieve them in any practical sense and certainly not without conflict (conflict in numerous ways including possible physical violence and thus covering up of the problem and deeper founding of the illusion).

To write such semi-mystical drivel here is me feeling out the cultural climate. When I take a little time away from forums I find something that is only possible there. To bring it here ... I don't know how. Call it a despair of distraction of something. Confusion for sure, deadly confusion I am not sure? Is it happiness or merely intrigue yet to make any movement?

Note: This is like a dairy entrance and should be read as such
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 7:38 am 

Could be love :)
NoShips

Postby Eclogite on November 25th, 2016, 8:03 am 

I think any human who does not feel moments of despair, desperation, failure, inadequacy, loss, uncertainty, remorse, etc. simply isn't paying attention. Welcome to the world.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:05 am 

"Most Science & Philosophy Forum members lead lives of quiet despair" - Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 8:35 am 

I think you've nailed it. "Love" is the kind of despair we are happy to revel in.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 8:38 am 

What I have to say is important so I want attention. Problem is getting attention is basically the whole premise of what I want to discuss.

"Politics" is the issue and ... "stuff" :) haha
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:40 am 

It would help if you were less devilishly esoteric
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 8:44 am 

NoShips » November 25th, 2016, 8:40 pm wrote:It would help if you were less devilishly esoteric

It is devilishly "obvious" and that is the problem.

All is politic and taken and twisted in ways to move it away from the idea of "politic" and into objective realms that are merely zones of "comfortable" understanding rather than actually partaking of the world and being "responsible" (for want of a better world/word).
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:46 am 

Ah, why didn't you say so in the first place?

"It's all bullshit, Charlie" - Colonel Slade
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 8:48 am 

I love you
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:49 am 

By the way, you remind me of someone I know from another place: a very clever pig.

Never really got specific. Disguised his distress in recondilia. Or was it reticulated pythons?
NoShips

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:52 am 

I always wondered why John Lennon wrote a song entitled "Help".

Then it hit me. He needed help.
NoShips

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 8:57 am 

Well, words are all we have, pal. Unless you wanna drop by for a Taiwan beer or two. Bring food.
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 9:24 am 

Don't drink really ... plus Taiwan is a bit too "up market" for my selfish self-depreicating self. Saying that, today I bought a bottle of ale for $10!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 9:34 am 

In that case, I'll come to see you. Erm, how big is the bottle?
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 10:02 am 

NoShips » November 25th, 2016, 9:34 pm wrote:In that case, I'll come to see you. Erm, how big is the bottle?

About 2-3 hours
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 10:07 am 

Light hours long?
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 10:10 am 

I meant to get here before I drink it ... so dark hours I guess!
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 10:24 am 

See, it's all so easy. One bottle of ale and the recondite, ineffable feelings of despair vanish... for a while
NoShips

Postby Forest_Dump on November 25th, 2016, 10:26 am 

Attempting to address this kind of piecemeal:

BadgerJelly wrote:All is politic and taken and twisted in ways to move it away from the idea of "politic" and into objective realms that are merely zones of "comfortable" understanding rather than actually partaking of the world and being "responsible" (for want of a better world/word).

I suppose I take it somewhat as a given that since we are social beasts and somewhat or at times conscious, everything is political to at least some degree. At times I wonder how much or how often my attempts to convince others of something is really an attempt to convinve myself. And vice versa.

BadgerJelly wrote:In pursuit of the gold at the end of the rainbow. So unsure which direction to go knowing it is an illusion, yet a useful illusion. Its in the journey, but not the arrival and all that mushy drivel.

Certainly a historic problem of mine. The chase is better than the catch (Lemmy). So a frequent problem of mine has been obsession with a problem, solving it and then moving on to the next problem before polishing up my solution and publishing it. Something I am addressing right now, though, in that I am literally polishing up my first big and best research paper from about 30 years ago and readying it for publication.

Eclogite wrote:I think any human who does not feel moments of despair, desperation, failure, inadequacy, loss, uncertainty, remorse, etc. simply isn't paying attention. Welcome to the world.

Indeed. I have moments of depression thinking about past mistakes, etc. But that is how we learn from the past. It is also the opportunity to reassess and consider changing course. It is tough and painful. But it is also "opportunity". And it is always and only you who can make the important decision of what to do next.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 25th, 2016, 10:35 am 

Motorhead Lemmy? Is there another?
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 10:56 am 

Forest -

Oddly enough I meant "despair" in a warm fuzzy way ... if that makes sense? Have the habit of turning the meaning of something aroudn because it is so easy to see it as the exact opposite of what you think it is. Which is a political/psychological wibblewobble ...

I great deal of this is the general public and social attitudes towards science and science trying to "opinion" at a distance (or rather scientists ... which is the same thing, only held at a distance).

Basically I find myself wanting to really do something ... and I am stopped by knowing how to say it, and knowing I am having to hold people by the hand and show them what they already know, but in a "new" light. Simplicity seems to be the most difficult thing to notice and it drives me crazy sometimes how what is obvious is mostly ignored and bizarrely covered up and dressed in ... "stuff".
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Forest_Dump on November 25th, 2016, 12:02 pm 

Of course, ultimately there is a lot here.

BadgerJelly wrote:Have the habit of turning the meaning of something aroudn because it is so easy to see it as the exact opposite of what you think it is. Which is a political/psychological wibblewobble ...

Actually I would call it the most powerful and honest scholarly and intellectual tool there is because it is the way to avoid dogmatism, etc. - but that certainly does make it political and psychological and philosphical, etc. But that is the jist of falsification. If I am out digging and start to see something that I strongly suspect is, say, ritual on an archaeological site then I immediately try to find a natural cause and throw everything I have got into explaining "X" as erosion or groundhog burrow, etc. If I can fully refute all of that then I look at "X" being a by-product of cleaning fish, firing pots, etc. And I look for anything and everything else around, no matter how seemingly trivial or unrelated to see if it can support or refute my first thoughts. And bounce my ideas of others etc. to see if they buy it (and try to find out if they are just being patronizing, wanting to avoid an argument, etc.). Psychology and politics obviously play big parts here particularly since I do not want simple nods from bobblehead yes men - I'd rather have a good debate or argument against my first hunches. And on we go.

BadgerJelly wrote:I great deal of this is the general public and social attitudes towards science and science trying to "opinion" at a distance (or rather scientists ...

So, some of this leads to questions about what the public (and "scientists") want from science, what they want science to be, etc., and there are tons of different answers because some want science to confirm their preconceptions, some want science to simply augment the economy (or parts) while others (like me) want it to be more mind expanding as well as challenging. Why else would I care about extinct monkeys or cosmic voids that are 250 million light years across?

NoShips wrote:Motorhead Lemmy? Is there another?

No one else.
Forest_Dump
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 12:24 pm 

Forest -

I guess I say "wibblewobble" because my attempts as showing what I mean (which is essentially the above but more in depth) I simply fail to a larger extent. Failing is great of course :)

I think the whole "atheist" movement propelling humanity into a very messy confusion. I see it to much where people say religion is stupid and find myself doiong the same thing often enough too. At the root I think this problem is not fully appreciated in regards to science as a philosophical and political vehicle.

I blame everyone ... then I don't know where to start in to some degree muting the problem. I am SO powerful and SO weak. No matter what I decide to put effort towards it seems I'll only make the whole problem worse ... but there surely is a way to navigate through all this and "make a difference" not a mess fo things.

And yes, I realise my ideals are not others. I still want to push them though becasue all the directions I push and pull in seem to create the impression of a centre ( as you look for above).

Persistance and then death I guess ... XD haha
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 25th, 2016, 1:18 pm 

NoShips -
WP_20161126_00_13_43_Pro.jpg

And my sushi lunch a couple of days ago

WP_20161126_00_13_43_Pro.jpg
Attachments
WP_20161121_15_13_33_Pro.jpg
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 27th, 2016, 12:16 am 

A couple of nights ago a couple were having a fight in the street. I intervened to stop the girl punching him in the face and throwing him on the floor.

Basically she said "He is drunk and being a c***."

With tears streaming down her face amd in obvious distress she looked me in the eye and said this:

"I don't know who I am."

The emotional weight and power in how she said this was somethinf quite special. The irony being that to say something so open and so raw showed she knew enough to realise the truth of being human. Utter humility and ignorance.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby NoShips on November 27th, 2016, 12:17 am 

Well, screw them. I'd marry you. You'r all I've ever dreamed of. Just think of the pillow talk.
NoShips

Postby BadgerJelly on November 27th, 2016, 12:28 am 

You'll have to seduce me first. I am partial to brie ... one of my fantasies used to be to have Christina Milian covered in brie (with ample supplies of baguette obviously!).

Are you willimg and able? ;)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area