OODA

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

OODA

Postby lichen on December 3rd, 2016, 3:03 pm 

Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OODA_loop

Learned about this is a book on Scrum project organization.

Is there a philosophy devoted to getting things done? At my work, we call it "Getting Shit Done". Our executives put a lot of effort, currently, into thinking about how to be productive, but I'm not so sure they spend much time on the "Orient" stage.

In contrast, I think scientists do a lot of "observe", while philosophers spend a lot of time on "orient".

Does breaking these tasks up into specialities serve society well? Or should we get them to interact more?

I think this has applications to lots of things, including politics, but was curious to get some casual opinions.
lichen
Forum Neophyte

Re: OODA

Postby Eclogite on December 3rd, 2016, 6:34 pm 

lichen » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:03 pm wrote:Does breaking these tasks up into specialities serve society well? Or should we get them to interact more?
When I have taught processes that have sub-sections, I overcome this risk in two ways:

1. Continually reference the ultimate objective of the process.
2. Do not present the sub-sections as distinct entities, but rather as convenient sub-divisions of a continuous process.

I feel any other approach rather misses the point.
Eclogite
Forum Moderator

Return to Lounge Area