Software for scanning handwriting

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Software for scanning handwriting

Postby BadgerJelly on December 23rd, 2016, 8:30 am 

Does anyone here use this kind of software?

I hate typing on keyboards but would often like to be able to simply scan my writing and have in converted into text to post online.

Would appreciate if anyone could tell me of software they use and how accurate it is for hand writing.

Thanks
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Software for scanning handwriting

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 23rd, 2016, 10:46 am 

Hi Bj,

Adobe can scan text in a picture and convert to real text. Since some fonts are pretty elaborate, it might be able to read handwriting Cursive. But very likely to read if written non-cursive (hand printed text).

Google Adobe OCR Demo. I've used it many times because I want to be able to edit text found in/from various image files. I think OCR stands for Optical Character Recognition.

Example below:
https://www.accusoft.com/demos/ocr-demo/

You would write your text on paper.. scan it with a scanner to an image file.. run OCR on it to convert to normal text that can be editor compatible or copy/paste into text files or text boxes, like this reply box I'm typing into right now.

You will need to be pretty good at hand printing, not like most doctors...lol.

Regards,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Braininvat on December 23rd, 2016, 1:07 pm 

The Samsung "Note" tablets and phones have handwriting recognition. A friend uses it, and is fairly happy with it. It's good at reading cursive and such. (and you can handwrite on their touchscreens pretty easily) I don't know how it compares to PC-based software like the Adobe OCR DaveO is talking about.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby BadgerJelly on December 24th, 2016, 3:50 am 

As an example could the software handle this scrawl and keep the paragraph structure too?

WP_20161224_14_46_38_Pro.jpg
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Dave_Oblad on December 24th, 2016, 8:36 am 

Hi BJ,

Don't know. I ssem to remember reading somewhere that some versions can be trained. It gives you a series of Boxes A[], B[],C[] etc and you write your version into the box. It then uses that as a comparison library for reading your work. And they are pretty good at guessing at approximations.

Tried one of the free on-line demos.. not so good.. your image translated to this:
Code: Select all
MA ' ' ' m
' ~qu - 4 In.
7—” 5514544445434 49.“)?ng T3 “50$ LX444“...
whfiflx..4§44mhn saagwhvigm um -1544 _
M4._.m4444é4_4b€4rflfl —av\de- Eff/Wk WW “SEQLH
4435444, -4»:ng :4 5:343 w s 40.4.---
7%5QWMSFRR‘M‘ Vm' 37%:—
WM :Wwb WW
D- SWELLJA 4L. ‘4ng MM : “kw/imam? ,
Nw3$md4 (“\wfi ‘44 rem ‘n: .58, . ..
.HMxA'444m 7 UL (Whammy? ml n 4W.» K 3mg ,
LL44>¢>74<44W 41,4444 4» N [wok 54:1 ,
.NUTL.44&MYJL44S®5

But.. it's not one of the trainable versions. Most warn they are not able to translate hand written docs..

But.. Some new ones claim that feature.
Try this one: (read my warning below before trying link)

http://www.cvisiontech.com/library/ocr/ocr-pdf/ocr-software-handwriting-recognition.html

It probably allows you to download a free limited use version to see if you want to buy it.

Do so at your own risk. Some free stuff out there may have a virus or (more likely) modify your browser to pass information to marketing people about what your are looking at.

There is more than one out there.. just Goggle for "OCR handwritten Demo".

I usually don't download such from minor companies. Big name ones like Adobe are usually trustworthy if you know for a fact.. it really is Adobe and not a pretender. Open Source Code sites are usually ok if they have good reviews and offer original unmodified code.

Good luck and Happy Holidays,
Dave :^)
Dave_Oblad
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (4)

Return to Lounge Area