Recognition and Appreciation Due

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Recognition and Appreciation Due

Postby Serpent on April 21st, 2017, 3:12 pm 

There are some horrible people out there, doing horrible things, all the time.
And we hear about their activities, all the time.

However, there are also wonderful people doing very good things, that we hardly ever hear about, or think about, until they do something directly for us.

I would like to go on anti-curmudgeon record with my appreciation of Nicky, the founder and chief volunteer of our local feral cat rescue group. Last month, she came to collect the two barn kittens that live on our back porch (and have grown into big rangy toms, spraying everything in sight), drove them 70 miles to a participating veterinary clinic, and brought them back again that evening, neutered, wormed, with rabies shots, clipped nails and a check-up information sheet. This service cost us half of what we would normally pay just for the operation and vaccination - a great boon to pensioners!
Nicky was prompt, friendly and cheerful. Her little car was crammed with carriers full cats and kittens, which must have kept her awake with their complaints on that two-hour trip. She makes that trip every Wednesday. had we not been willing to adopt these cats, she and her group would also find foster homes and permanent placements for all their clients.
That's serious dedication. That's an admirable human being.
I am grateful also to the veterinarian whom I've never met, who regularly works at much reduced fees in order to help these unfortunate animals and the people willing to take them in.

Do you know someone who deserved appreciation?
Serpent
Resident Member

Re: Recognition and Appreciation Due

Postby vivian maxine on April 21st, 2017, 4:10 pm 

These rescue people are working all over the country - should I say continent? When I took in that stray on the coldest day of the year and kept him until the rescue lady could come two days later - all the time knowing that if our manager found out he was there, I'd owe her $425! - the rescue lady came with enticing food for him, sat in the floor and played with him long enough for him to get acquainted with her, even gave him a name (Oliver, aka Ollie). Only then did she coax him into the carrier and take off, never asking for a dime. I sent her a check to help pay for his operation and she got him a good home. These are extremely dedicated people who deserve a lot of recognition. You are right, Serpent.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on April 21st, 2017, 7:41 pm 

Sometimes we watch television programs that follow the activities of rescue and rehabilitation organizations. The people in those situations often do things that are difficult, physically demanding and even dangerous - they're not wimps.
I often think: if those became the favoured role models for our children - and I'm quite shamelessly thinking particularly of boys - wouldn't we raise better citizens?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby vivian maxine on April 21st, 2017, 9:24 pm 

Indeed we would, serpent. Those and some other very quiet role models. The real role models are usually those who just quietly go about their jobs and don't make a scene. Meaning, of course, that no one notices.
vivian maxine
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area