Cat-Astrophe: Chemists and/or Veterinaries needed

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Cat-Astrophe: Chemists and/or Veterinaries needed

Postby Braininvat on May 1st, 2017, 8:56 am 

We have been gone from our house for a week. (if I ignored your post, my wifi access was very limited) Here's the freak event that happened while we were away....

The litter boxes are in the basement. Clean and ready for duty. (that's a pun, in the USA) Somehow (it's complicated) the basement door accidentally got SHUT. A truly freak occurrence. What happened then is not pretty. The one saving grace of a cat, when deprived of litter, is that, rather than distribute its output all over, it will focus on what it sees as the best spot. "Best" means upholstered furniture that handily wicks the urine down into its depths. Two cats often means two pieces of furniture are inducted into service.

Here's the challenge. White vinegar reduces staining and fading. Baking soda temporarily absorbs odor rising off surfaces. But enzymatic cleaners are needed to break down the uric acid that has penetrated into the upholstery, if you can get it to the right places. A UV light can help to locate all the locations where the urine went into something. In this case, urine dispersed deep into the material beneath the cushions. Anything less than complete success following its pathways, the odor will linger for a very long time.

If anyone knows any other clever solutions (possible pun), we are interested.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Re: Cat-Astrophe: Chemists and/or Veterinaries needed

Postby Braininvat on June 7th, 2017, 2:33 pm 

Update, but first how did this thread get 99 views and not one reply? "Cat got your tongue?" Heehee.

The winner was....H2O2. Breaks down uric acid, doesn't fade colors. Hydrogen peroxide comes in a strength suitable for pet odors, available in a spray bottle in any pet store.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby SciameriKen on June 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm 

Really? H202 doesn't cause discoloration? I think your strategy sounds pretty good to me - what does the almighty google have to say?
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Braininvat on June 7th, 2017, 5:47 pm 

Many things, but mainly it led me to H2O2. It's the active ingredient in bleaches designed for colors. It breaks down the protein in the stain without affecting the color dyes. It's the alternative used for Clorox when colors are involved and you don't want to weaken fabric fibers. Anhydrous H2O2 is also used for rocket fuel.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on June 7th, 2017, 6:11 pm 

And here, I've been dragging things out to the yard, soaping, rinsing, hosing, draining and letting the sun do the rest. It mostly worked, but took a long time.
(That senile couch-wetter has gone to his reward, and the two young ones are clipped, so i should have no such problem for a while. Still, thanks for the info. Just never know when you'll need an armchair with vertical takeoff capability.)
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on June 7th, 2017, 11:31 pm 

belly laugh! ("vertical takeoff capability")
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on June 9th, 2017, 1:17 pm 

I tend to have a more proactively preventative approach to this problem. I don't let it in the house. It was something I decided a few years back, when I notice the arm of an upholstered chair was showing signs of premature wear. BOOT, and stay out. It didn't help the chair, but it hasn't got any worse.

Most cats I like. Just this particular one I wish would go away.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Postby Braininvat on June 9th, 2017, 5:45 pm 

"BOOT"

The ideal soution, yes. Alas, one cat is a declawed old cat we are keeping for a relative, and would not thrive outdoors especially in the winter. Both are quite socialized with humans, they purr and head-butt you and make trilling noises, and generally maintain a major charm offensive to get whatever they want. Fortunately, the catastrophe was a one-off event, and they are firmly committed to the litterbox.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Watson on June 9th, 2017, 6:31 pm 

Yes I kind of figured they were family. It is a feral cat here, which I did feel for and tried to help it, but it is just a nasty cat. Just the way they are programmed, I guess.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to Lounge Area