My Irrational Mind

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

My Irrational Mind

Postby BadgerJelly on May 31st, 2017, 5:38 am 

I just got angry because it started raining ...
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: My Irrational Mind

Postby Braininvat on May 31st, 2017, 9:08 am 

Cue Al Green.

"How can you mend a broken heart,
How can you stop the rain falling down...."

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UgAFcvIw8J4
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby doogles on June 1st, 2017, 3:21 am 

What a wonderful opportunity to start a discussion of emotional reactions BadgerJelly!. I have, or should I say, used to have, angry reactions to 1) physical hurt eg if someone physically hurts me (rare), if I accidently hit a digit with a hammer (more common, associated with multiple expletives), 2) if someone blatantly insults me (rare), but most commonly 3) if something happens to thwart any important plans I've established in my 'mind' (In spite of recent posts, I find it convenient to keep using the word 'mind' as above), particularly if I've incorporated a time factor element in those plans.

I've rationalised that emotional reactions emanate in our primitive neuro-endocrine system and therefore, as you say, are 'irrational'.

Being a betting person, I have to bet that your reaction came under type 3, and that you had something planned that was thwarted by the wet weather.

Unfortunately I have a stack of things on my plate at the moment that will occupy me for the next 5 weeks, so won't be able to get into the subject in depth. It's just a comment for now.

Maybe I shouldn't have commented at all yet, and should have waited till I have more time? No. Let it stand and see what develops.
'
But I absolutely salute you BadgerJelly for such an honest and open statement of 'Án Irrational Mind'.
doogles

Postby BadgerJelly on June 1st, 2017, 3:35 am 

What I was trying to show is how we struggle to accept things out of our control. We MUST blame the environment and get emotionally roused in order to guard against such things in the future. I guess this is what people call "emotional maturity"?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area