Liberal media pundits

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Liberal media pundits

Postby hyksos on June 5th, 2017, 8:22 pm 

A hypothetical question :

What if Donald Trump were to tweet that Muslims should be interned in camps until which time we can "figure out what is going on!" ??

This is what would happen: Such a tweet would cause the Republicans to sweep the House of Reps in the midterms. But why is this? Because every time the President tweets anti-Muslim hatred, his voting base loves it. It's sweet music to their ears.

The more he tweets anti-muslim hatred, the faster the halls of congress will fill with (R)'s.

This is not even a Trump-problem. This is a much deeper problem. This is a problem lying in the deep recesses of the hearts and minds of white Americans.
hyksos

Re: Liberal media pundits

Postby Braininvat on June 5th, 2017, 9:04 pm 

I think the majority of Americans are repelled by 45's bigotry, and his base would shrink if he started blathering about concentration camps. This "white American" disagrees with your assessment of "the deep recesses" of our hearts. Many white Americans, unless they are pure WASP ancestry, can remember stories of bigotry directed at their ancestors when they arrived on our shores....Germans, Irish, Catholics of various European origins, Poles, Italians, etc.
I think those people would draw the line at internment camps and his present approval numbers, in the mid/upper 30s, would drop. Even those without any historical personal context for reflecting on such bigotry, would be able to grasp how unAmerican such a proposal would be. I've heard politicians, from both parties, expressing regret over the internment of Japanese Americans in WW2. And, of course, there would be the nasty resonance with the Nazi camps as well. No, I think you would see opposition to Trump mobilize and grow if he started on that kind of thing.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby someguy1 on June 5th, 2017, 9:34 pm 

hyksos » June 5th, 2017, 6:22 pm wrote:This is a problem lying in the deep recesses of the hearts and minds of white Americans.

Is this bait for someone? I see the worm wriggling at the end of the hook but I think I'll skip it. Except to say that people who see racism everywhere should probably look in the mirror.

I'll add a factual point that you could look up. It was in the news a few weeks back. Several million people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 failed to bother to go to the polls in 2016. Why do you think that is? They're all racists? Maybe it's because they couldn't stomach voting for a corrupt incompetent warmonger like Hillary "Not my fault" Clinton, whose post-election behavior has reminded us of why she lost.
someguy1

Postby SciameriKen on June 5th, 2017, 9:57 pm 

someguy1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:34 am wrote:
hyksos » June 5th, 2017, 6:22 pm wrote:This is a problem lying in the deep recesses of the hearts and minds of white Americans.

Is this bait for someone? I see the worm wriggling at the end of the hook but I think I'll skip it. Except to say that people who see racism everywhere should probably look in the mirror.

I'll add a factual point that you could look up. It was in the news a few weeks back. Several million people who voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012 failed to bother to go to the polls in 2016. Why do you think that is? They're all racists? Maybe it's because they couldn't stomach voting for a corrupt incompetent warmonger like Hillary "Not my fault" Clinton, whose post-election behavior has reminded us of why she lost.

I think the democrats have to figure out why there is so much apathy in their supporters. Its really the non-presidential elections that are killing the democrats - republicans are dominating the governorship and with it goes many house seats through gerrymandering.
SciameriKen
Forum Moderator

Postby Serpent on June 6th, 2017, 1:28 am 

I suspect there is more wrong with US electoral politics than the most recent poor excuses for presidential candidates or 'redistricting'. On the other hand, denying racial problems for 100 years hasn't helped to solve them, any more than asserting that the peculiarly American brand of muscular pious capitalism is "the worst economic system, except for all the others" has helped repair the damages of disparity.

Which liberal media pundits have done what?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby hyksos on June 6th, 2017, 12:51 pm 

I think the majority of Americans are repelled by 45's bigotry,

On statistical grounds, your assertion is arithmetically correct.
But why do you mention it? For psychological comfort and conversational distraction.

A mere "majority" is repelled by bigotry? That's not saying much. That would be like denying the 40% of the people sitting next to you on the bus would all things being equal , wholly support Muslim Interment Camps. I would say you don't want to face that fact because it makes you uncomfortable. Becaause it hurts. It stings.

Again, like the liberal pundits, it is not Trump who appalls and shocks you. It's not his late-night tweets that bother your heart. No, the appalling shock derives from the way your fellow countrymen react to such hatred. The way they (in numbers) react with their stiff nazi hand salutes. That's what's really at stake here. It's not Trump, it's his supporters and the sheer numbers of them. An irrational belief in the goodness of your neighbors gives rise to your dodging and excuse-making.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on June 6th, 2017, 1:05 pm 

Serpent » June 6th, 2017, 9:28 am wrote:I suspect there is more wrong with US electoral politics than the most recent poor excuses for presidential candidates or 'redistricting'.

Thank you! Thank you for your honesty.

That man Donald Trump, crushed Hillary and Jeb Bush in a general election. He swept Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota. Remember this? This actually happened.

The blue-haired SJWs cannot even accept in their brains and their minds and in their "reality" that this man is actually their president. They are literally still in shock-and-denial stage. They think this a nightmare from which they will awake soon, when the liberal lawyers impeach him on "Obstruction of justice".

Note: "Obstruction of justice" does not = "colluded with Russians". The liberal media pundits no longer even care whether collusion actually happened with the Kremlin. Instead, they want to kick him out of office on some legal nitpick technically having to do with "misleading an FBI agent under some investigation" of some such or another bizarro law in the back pages of some fat legal statute tome.

The pundits are priming the pump on this. They are prepping the hearts and minds of their viewers, by having one analyst after the next come on TV and repeat "Obstruction of justice. Comey fired." over and over again 84 times a day.
hyksos

Postby hyksos on June 6th, 2017, 1:08 pm 

"Obstruction of justice. Comey fired." over and over again 84 times a day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing_Consent
hyksos

Postby Braininvat on June 6th, 2017, 2:08 pm 

hyksos » June 6th, 2017, 9:51 am wrote:

But why do you mention it? For psychological comfort and conversational distraction.

A mere "majority" is repelled by bigotry? That's not saying much. That would be like denying the 40% of the people sitting next to you on the bus would all things being equal , wholly support Muslim Interment Camps. I would say you don't want to face that fact because it makes you uncomfortable. Becaause it hurts. It stings.

Again, like the liberal pundits, it is not Trump who appalls and shocks you. It's not his late-night tweets that bother your heart. No, the appalling shock derives from the way your fellow countrymen react to such hatred. The way they (in numbers) react with their stiff nazi hand salutes. That's what's really at stake here. It's not Trump, it's his supporters and the sheer numbers of them. An irrational belief in the goodness of your neighbors gives rise to your dodging and excuse-making.

Right now I have one request: do not respond to the content of posts by attempting to psychoanalyze the author of the post. For one thing, you are really bad at it.

Nothing I said was for "psychological comfort," it was said because it was pertinent to your OP. Trump's base is, what, around 27% of Americans? (27% of voters registered in 2016) And not all of them voted on the Muslim issue, or necessarily have the sort of bigoted attitude you described (some just wanted offshore jobs to return to the U.S. or they wanted to replace Obamacare, or they wanted etc etc.). My guess, a speculative one, is that maybe 50% of that base would seriously consider internment camps. So, in my estimate, that would mean half of 27%, i.e. 13.5% of the electorate. And yes, of course, even that figure would be appalling. Especially in a nation whose fundamental principles and spirit are grossly violated by the whole idea. The important thing is for you, me, and pretty much everyone we know who is not in that group of bigoted f---heads, to constantly be making our voices heard as to what America really stands for.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby hyksos on June 12th, 2017, 12:23 am 

My guess, a speculative one, is that maybe 50% of that base would seriously consider internment camps. So, in my estimate, that would mean half of 27%, i.e. 13.5% of the electorate.

So I guess we can trace kind of the "logic" here if you will.

So we declare that only 13.5% of the electorate actually is die hard Trump supporters ready to act as guards on the fences of the internment camps. But then how could Trump actually be in the oval office as president? Well the "logic" says that he eked out victories in a Penn-Mich-Minn corridor. But then how did he eke those out? Well the Russians interfered in the election with their hacking and wikileaking. Then we lay our heads down on our down pillows repeating the comforting delusion that "Those damned Russians stole the election for Trump" as we slip off into a sound sleep at night.

I mean, if it helps you sleep at night and have sweet dreams of Hillary Rodham. But don't put it in history books.
hyksos

Postby Athena on June 14th, 2017, 11:45 am 

hyksos » June 5th, 2017, 6:22 pm wrote:A hypothetical question :

What if Donald Trump were to tweet that Muslims should be interned in camps until which time we can "figure out what is going on!" ??

This is what would happen: Such a tweet would cause the Republicans to sweep the House of Reps in the midterms. But why is this? Because every time the President tweets anti-Muslim hatred, his voting base loves it. It's sweet music to their ears.

The more he tweets anti-muslim hatred, the faster the halls of congress will fill with (R)'s.

This is not even a Trump-problem. This is a much deeper problem. This is a problem lying in the deep recesses of the hearts and minds of white Americans.

It is a problem that goes with replacing our liberal education with Germany's model of education for technology. The growing power of Christian supremacist is not the only problem, the inability of Congress to function, our reactionary politics in general, and the power plays that have taken over our political reality, are also what brought Germany down and gave so much power to Hitler.

The power plays that are can potentially decimate our health care are even worse than the emotional plays that give Trump a following of Muslim haters because we are not aware of what is going on. Seriously, when I say Trump is our Hitler, I am not talking about one man. I am talking the whole phenomena that involves everyone and is the result of replacing liberal education with education for technology.
Athena

Postby Athena on June 14th, 2017, 12:24 pm 

Braininvat » June 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm wrote:
hyksos » June 6th, 2017, 9:51 am wrote:

Right now I have one request: do not respond to the content of posts by attempting to psychoanalyze the author of the post. For one thing, you are really bad at it.

Nothing I said was for "psychological comfort," it was said because it was pertinent to your OP. Trump's base is, what, around 27% of Americans? (27% of voters registered in 2016) And not all of them voted on the Muslim issue, or necessarily have the sort of bigoted attitude you described (some just wanted offshore jobs to return to the U.S. or they wanted to replace Obamacare, or they wanted etc etc.). My guess, a speculative one, is that maybe 50% of that base would seriously consider internment camps. So, in my estimate, that would mean half of 27%, i.e. 13.5% of the electorate. And yes, of course, even that figure would be appalling. Especially in a nation whose fundamental principles and spirit are grossly violated by the whole idea. The important thing is for you, me, and pretty much everyone we know who is not in that group of bigoted f---heads, to constantly be making our voices heard as to what America really stands for.

There may have been a reason for the past sexism that left politics in the hands of men? I think women are more prone to thinking in terms of relationships and why someone says or does something, and that is totally different from the male point of view that is more about power. Who has the power and who does not, and how is it best used? I know you don't like my sexist talk, but I also found an on-line explanation of the science forum saying males like it. There is no mention of females liking the forum. The sexism is not just in my thoughts. It is pretty biological. We can compensate for this and we can learn to get along, but only if women are free to be women. I get the importance of the male standard for rational thinking, there is also importance to how females think, and there is a difference. Now how are we going to work together? Perhaps we can talk about rules rather than addressing individuals? The importance of good manners is avoiding social problems. Perhaps we should keep personal comments private and mention them only in private messages and not publically talk about another person in the public forum? Talking about rules are less personal than correcting individuals. It is a paradox, sometimes being personal is a good thing and sometimes it is not.

My grandmother would say, it is important to protect the dignity of others. This would mean we don't say anything about another unless it is something people would want others to say about them.
Athena

Postby Serpent on June 14th, 2017, 4:15 pm 

hyksos » June 6th, 2017, 12:05 pm wrote:
Serpent » June 6th, 2017, 9:28 am wrote:I suspect there is more wrong with US electoral politics than the most recent poor excuses for presidential candidates or 'redistricting'.

Thank you! Thank you for your honesty.

You're welcome, but my honesty didn't stop at that statement. One of the things I suspect is wrong with US electoral politics is communication in bad faith - much as you are doing right here.

That man Donald Trump, crushed Hillary and Jeb Bush in a general election. He swept Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota. Remember this? This actually happened.

Not quite the way I heard it, but go on. Do you have a point?

The blue-haired SJWs cannot even accept in their brains and their minds and in their "reality" that this man is actually their president.

I have no idea to whom this refers.

They think this a nightmare from which they will awake soon, when the liberal lawyers impeach him on "Obstruction of justice".

That wasn't the only impeachable offense from the beginning and it seem like he's created three more possible charges since the opening of this thread and isn't likely to stop.
Incidentally, is it unusual for a news item, of the magnitude of, say attempted suborning and subsequent firing of the the FBI director, to be mentioned 84 times in a news cycle? How many times was this item - which wasn't news at all - mentioned?

The liberal media pundits ... etc, etc.

You haven't answered my one simple question.

And you have used a Chomsky article under false pretenses.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on June 14th, 2017, 5:20 pm 

"crushed Hillary" -- lol. When someone thinks winning the electoral vote, but losing the popular vote by 2.9 million, is crushing the opposition, you aren't going to be able to have a calm and rational discussion.
Braininvat
Forum Administrator

Postby Serpent on June 14th, 2017, 7:04 pm 

Sorry; I just noticed I flubbed the link in my previous post.
How many times was this item - which wasn't news at all - mentioned?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/07/05/inside-james-comeys-shockingly-scathing-comments-about-hillary-clintons-email-setup/?utm_term=.3e2e8b95c987

So, anyway, did this thread have an objective of some kind?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby hyksos on July 5th, 2017, 10:28 pm 

Ya know I came back to this thread from weeks ago or more. Unfortunately, things have changed on the ground as they always do. Vis-a-vis this Donald Trump twitter crap -- I've decided that the viewers of Jerry Springer have won.

They have taken over America and tilted an election.

But why else am I thinking this? Well NPR radio runs a twitter page. For the 4th of July, they posted the entire text of the Declaration of Independence. This caused Trump voters to have conniption fits in the comment section, because
  • (1.) Trump voters don't have enough education to recognize the Declaration of the Independence.
  • (2.) They had a guilty conscience about some of the tweets, believing they were veiled references to the sitting president in the White House.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

Sound familiar? Yeah that sentence was written 241 years ago by Thomas Jefferson. Trump voters then left profanity-laced tirades under the NPR tweet which was this exact sentence. I can only assume that they thought this was a jab at the President and that they have a guilty conscience.

But it gets worse, because the Declaration of Independence starts with the phrase "The thirteen colonies" which anyone with reading level above a 5th grader should have been tipped off.

The Jerry Springer crowd has taken over the country. The slightly drunk trailer park loudmouths and their barking dogs, and their greasy underwear shirts have won.
hyksos

Postby Athena on July 6th, 2017, 12:14 pm 

I am not sure 5th graders spend much time reading old and outdated national documents.

I raised my children in a mobile home. Fortunately, most of the years it sat on a farm, but we did have to move into the city. I don't think my neighbors in the city mobile home park fit your description. However, I do know our lack of money lead to my children having a low self-esteem and other problems. And on the other hand, I have friends who are surprised by their intelligent and even high-class friends who love Trump. He appeals to our natural instincts as leaders have done throughout history whenever they must appeal to the masses. You know, just as you have done with your comment about people who live in trailer parks. You really appealed to our emotions in a very successful way. I felt slimy thinking about those greasy underwear. Good job my superior friend.
Athena

Postby richardsalvo on July 12th, 2017, 10:18 am 

I think Donald Trump is a racists
richardsalvo
Forum Neophyte

Postby wolfhnd on July 12th, 2017, 11:25 am 

Mexican and Muslim are not races and I find it hypocritical to not apply the same standards to these to groups as gets applied to "trailer trash".

Now the left has decided that macron is a racist for pointing out problems in Africa.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/emm ... 36056.html

The racism of low expectations is at least as big a problem as the racism in those that support Trump. The failure of the left and left leaning policies in places like Mexico is why we need a wall. The same is true in Africa where international welfare has all but destroyed the ability of African nations to function. Now we have a racist government in South Africa threatening a communist confiscation of land even though the same thing happened in a neighboring country with disastrous results and the left is silent. If you think trailer park bigots are worse than African bigots you are suffering from cognitive dissonance.

When civil war breaks out in Venezuela will the left blame trailer trash Americans or ignorant Marxist peasants. The U.S. does not have a monopoly on stupid citizens.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Lounge Area