Homemade beer.

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Homemade beer.

Postby Watson on July 26th, 2017, 12:03 pm 

Seems to me we discussed this, but I can't find the link so, .............

I have used molasses as an additive to darken and for depth of flavor, but the wisdom seemed to be using it only to a smaller percentage of the batch. But as things would have it, I had the molasses but no beer kits. So I started a molasses beer, before I read online that this is generally regarded as a bad idea. True enough, it wasn't anything close to beer. But it wasn't a complete waste of time and molasses. Over ice, it was more like a refreshing ice tea, with a kick. Mine was the unsweetened made from tea type, but I'm sure if you killed the yeast you could sweeten to taste. It was good enough, it's gone, and I just started a new batch. First time round it was a hap hazard batch just to see. This time it is more deliberate, adding some maple syrup to see how the flavor enhances it.
There are flavors that would work well for this, that wouldn't work as well in your beer batch.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Re: Homemade beer.

Postby Watson on August 5th, 2017, 9:20 am 

Well, it is not beer, but it is quite good over ice. Besides the maple syrup, I added some vanilla. I tastes a lot like cream soda. First time I added ginger, thinking of a ginger beer, but forgot it this time. I may try adding some after the fact.
And I have some Pilsner Beer kits to make the real stuff, so the kitchen has a very fragrant aroma.
Watson
Resident Member

Location: Earth, middle of the top half, but only briefly each 24 hours.

Return to Lounge Area