Flossing your teeth

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

When do you floss your teeth?

Never.
43%
Before brushing your teeth.
43%
After brushing your teeth.
14%
Before and after brushing your teeth.
No votes

Total votes : 7

Flossing your teeth

Postby zetreque on August 16th, 2017, 2:11 am 

When is the best time to floss your teeth? Vote for when you floss your teeth then explain any thoughts about why you do what you do.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: Flossing your teeth

Postby jocular on August 16th, 2017, 4:28 am 

My dentist told me that if I flossed then I would keep my teeth . That was twenty years ago and I haven't been to the dentist since.

The last time was for an extraction and I was offered a denture for free since the root canal had not taken.

I do it before brushing last thing at night and then I do a quick brush in the morning.

Before the dentists advice I hardly ever brushed them at all but my teeth are fairly strong naturally as we had naturally occurring fluoride in our water supply that had the side effect of staining our teeth.

I have a strong reluctance to visit the dentist. After I once left the dentists abruptly (aged 15) after seeing the huge syringe which I imagined would be stuck in my neck they phoned home to my parents to tell them I might have psychiatric problems!!
jocular

Postby Braininvat on August 16th, 2017, 10:02 am 

I have a brush whose bristles get between the teeth (I think my teeth are slightly more gapped than some) and have found that gets everything. The floss would come out clean, so it didn't seem worth doing. Like Jocula, I grew up with fluoride in the water and never had cavities as a result of that. I've been told avoiding nuts, especially almonds, except in the form of nut butters, is good for your gums. Apparently, tiny shards of nut can work their way into tiny pouches in your gums at the base of the tooth and cause gum problems. You can also help avoid that by always brushing towards the leading edge of the tooth, i.e. start the stroke at the gum and then move away from the gum.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby Serpent on August 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm 

I have to take especially good care of my remaining teeth after radiation therapy. Use a fluoride gel every night, electric toothbrush and mouthwash; see the hygienist every six months.
Since some of my teeth are crowded and nearly all have old fillings, floss is not recommended. I use soft-picks after meals and a waterpik some nights.
Checkups have been uniformly excellent for the last 8 years.
If only I'd taken half as much trouble in the previous 50!
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on August 18th, 2017, 2:16 am 

My vote is for flossing Before brushing. My logic is that flossing loosens whatever is between the teeth and then the toothpaste/toothbrush can get in there. The debate or argument on the devils advocate side is that the toothbrush will push the junk back between the teeth so people think it's better to floss after brushing but then you don't have as high of chance to brush the area under where the junk is. That's my thinking anyway.

I wasn't prepared for the fluoride topic to come up. I am against adding fluoride to municipal water systems. People can add their own fluoride if they want. It's just a band-aid to fix the root problem which is often poor diet. I am against those kinds of measures that try to do a one size/fix fits all. I will have to return to this when I have more time to also cite research of the negative health effects of fluoride. This shouldn't be something forced on everyone and it's not a cost that should be forced on water bills for everyone either! Again, if they really cared about peoples health they would ban or tax soft-drinks instead of forcing us to drink fluoride in our water.

The last legislative session here they tried to pass adding it to our water and thankfully failed. It would have significantly increased our already high water bills.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Dave_C on August 19th, 2017, 7:45 pm 

I got fluoride pills when I was a kid. I thought they tasted great! At 56, I've only had 2 cavities and one of them was because of an accident when I chipped the tooth.

I would brush every night but I rarely flossed, and when I did, it would generally bleed a bit. I didn't think much of it till a few years ago when my dentist said my gums were so bad from not flossing that he wanted to surgically cut them back.

I didn't go back to the dentist for a long time. Surgical razor blades on my gums? A great reason to change habits!

After that I started flossing every night (after I brushed). My gums no longer bleed and they're in great shape now.

Moral to the story - brushing your teeth, fluoride, not having any cavities... all good practice, but the gums are another story. You have to floss them to keep them healthy over the long run. It's a great habit to get into.
Dave_C

Postby BadgerJelly on August 19th, 2017, 8:36 pm 

Never done it. I consider it a pointless American fad.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby wolfhnd on August 20th, 2017, 1:04 am 

I floss before brushing at least twice every day. Like everything thing else it can be overdone. All things in moderation which in the case of tooth care means gently.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Return to Lounge Area