What would you do to prevent a nuclear war?

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

What would you do to prevent a nuclear war?

Postby zetreque on September 26th, 2017, 2:39 pm 

I can't believe how ridiculous this is getting. Can someone take the twitter toy away from the baby please?

Doesn't this statement coming out of N. Korea scare anyone?

"Now that Trump has denied the existence of and insulted me and my country in front of the eyes of the world and made the most ferocious declaration of a war in history that he would destroy the DPRK," Kim said, "we will consider with seriousness exercising of a corresponding, highest level of hardline countermeasure in history."
Ri ended his brief remarks by saying: "The question of who won't be around much longer will be answered then."

What would I do? I would step up and go in his place to meet with N. Korea right this moment to simply have an intelligent conversation. As a nobody citizen, right now I would step up and try to have a diplomatic conversation to figure this mess out. Our leaders aren't intelligent enough to do a simple thing like talk.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Re: What would you do to prevent a nuclear war?

Postby BadgerJelly on September 27th, 2017, 12:34 am 

Given that I am not privy to all the information I would be hard pressed to say what is the best course of action.

I am damn sure that the information the government of the US has on N.Korea is far greater than they'll let on. I would be very surprised if such rhetoric was being used to knowingly provoke a nuclear strike. What is more likely in my mind is they are trying to call each others bluff and see what each knows about the other's capabilities. The recent "quake" may very well have been the entire N.Korean nuclear arsenal being destroyed by sabotage or simple error, putting the project back by several years.

We'll likely see an escalation in hostilities so this or that government can use it as propaganda to enforce this or that rule or plan. Then the international community will "intervene" and some kind of talks will take place where a bargain of sorts will be struck and then one party will betray the other.

Then likely rinse and repeat until someone loses patience and special ops forces jump in after a number of tactical strikes and destroy the N.Korean regime. Which will be very dangerous in and of itself and we'd likely see an even more dangerous kind of posturing between China and the US. As long as the US pull out of N.Korean after the smoke has settled we'll have some respite.

Let's hope for a unified Korea and possibly the building of a better relationship between China and the US in the wake of this current situation.

The more immediate threat in my eyes is the situation between Iran and the US. All the posturing over Syria because of Russian, American and European control is getting a bit too hairy. I would be more fearful of pushing Russia into an economic decline due to fear and greed from Europe and the US. An unstable Russia is more of a danger to western civilization (and therefore world civilization.)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 27th, 2017, 12:40 am 

What's coming out of the US Govt right now is not intelligent in the slightest and therefore gives me no hope that they have any clue what they are doing. There might be a handful of people that are experts on the subject in one of the defense agencies and hopefully are monitoring NK under a fine microscope but for all we know they could have underground bunkers where they have trained people who don't see the day of light for the past 20 so years and spend every waking moment working on nuke technology.

Never underestimate the underdog and what's going on right now is a complete uninformed imbecile (as countless evidence shows that he gets his intelligence from fox news) risking the lives of every American as well as other residents of Earth.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on September 27th, 2017, 2:52 am 

North Korea's nuclear threat is a fairly recent development. Now that they have a hydrogen bomb and ballistic delivery system they are finally in a position to blackmail the entire world into making concessions. Trump just happened to be elected when it was too late to prevent North Korea from getting these weapons. Obama was the last president that could have prevented it.

Trump has actually done better at negotiating with China to soften their support of North Korea than any other president. It is likely however that China's shifting attitude has more to do with China's internal politics than anything Trump brought to the table. Still he deserves some credit for working with China. North Korea is more isolated than ever which means they may be more inclined towards reasonable negotiations.

It's important to keep in mind that Syria and Libya are disaster that the Obama administration were unable to mitigate. In fact they seem to be continuations of the same globalist intervention policies the Bush administration precipitated. At least in part they represent a commitment to protect the petrol-dollar system. The entanglement of the establishment in foreign policy including the corporate media in this globalist agenda was made evident when they did a 180 and praised Trump for the Syrian airbase attack. The humanitarian concerns there were not anymore serious than those in Korea the difference seems to be that North Korea can defend itself. Trump has few alternatives other than MAD rhetoric at this point and Iran's continued nuclear weapon program demonstrates the futility of negotiations.

Attempts to stop nuclear proliferation have proven futile making the world a more dangerous place. The current administration played no role in this development and is simply playing the same cards every previous administration has. The nuclear deterrent has always been a double edged sword. Making it clear that you are willing to destroy any nation that uses nuclear weapons against you or your allies has become tacit acknowledgement that there are no alternative means of intervening in the deplorable actions of communist dictatorships. Trump's statements are no more and probably less dangerous than those of Kennedy during the cold war.

How long can the threat of mutually assured destruction prevent world war three? India and Pakistan have had nuclear weapons for a long time so maybe this is mostly a problem for North Koreans who have lost any hope of being "liberated". What will be interesting to see is if the recently discovered vital minerals in North Korea are liberated instead of it's people. If they are market forces may start to develop in North Korea as they have in China slowly eroding the communist tyranny.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Serpent on September 27th, 2017, 8:40 am 

I don't suppose all the Americans can withhold their tax payments so the military runs out of fuel before it can fly and sail any more posturing threatening exercises on N. Korea's borders.
Next best thing is hope the military leaders are smarter, or at least saner, or at least better equipped to do simple arithmetic, than their civilian bosses.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on September 27th, 2017, 9:46 am 

NK's rhetoric is more about promoting the Party, and the value of a military dictatorship, at a time when outside information and culture has been leaking into NK across a somewhat porous Chinese border - a leakage that will eventually threaten the stability of the regime. So Trump has been the perfect foil - a useful boogeyman the Party can point to and say, see, this is why it's good we are spending a fortune on nukes and being the most per capita militarized nation in the world. NK knows perfectly well that any actual aggression would be suicidal for their regime. This isn't North Vietnam in the 60s, where a regime knew it could wear down a superpower in a conventional land war.

This is all about promoting the brand to the people of NK. Trump is helping that campaign enormously.
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on September 27th, 2017, 11:49 am 

Braininvat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:46 am wrote:
This is all about promoting the brand to the people of NK. Trump is helping that campaign enormously.

Yes building ANOTHER generation of brainwashed hateful people who can turn into terrorists. Chump is giving them more fuel to build this hate against us which will turn into violence at who knows what level on Americans.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby zetreque on September 27th, 2017, 11:50 am 

Serpent » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:40 am wrote:I don't suppose all the Americans can withhold their tax payments...

I don't understand why masses of people don't boycott paying taxes until he shows us his. It's insanity. Maybe the new law says you have to be an NFL fan before you are allowed to boycott anything.

citation:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/43dp ... ison-vgtrn
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby doogles on September 27th, 2017, 7:23 pm 

If Trump visited Kim Jong for a heart-to-heart talk, there's a chance he could return, waving a piece of paper and proclaiming "PEACE IN OUR TIME!"
doogles

Postby Serpent on September 27th, 2017, 9:12 pm 

Maybe they could play golf, and it would at least keep Trump out of Puerto Rico, where he's not madly popular just at the moment.
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on September 28th, 2017, 4:08 am 

If all else fails we can just rename "nuclear war" and refer to it as "happy balloon party". Will at least give us a little time to smile just prior to "happy mushroom-shaped party balloons" go POP!"?
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area