Planning a trip - (US stop-off)

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Planning a trip - (US stop-off)

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2017, 3:19 am 

Hey there American scum! :D

I am planning a quick round the world trip and will be stopping off in NY and also would really like to experience some nature over there (thinking Rockies or Redwoods - likely the latter) Will be a VERY quick visit so just looking for vague advice for either?

Honestly think a trip to Rockies would be too time consuming as I am only really looking at spending maybe 4-5 days somewhere on East coast before flying to Japan.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Re: Planning a trip - (US stop-off)

Postby zetreque on October 19th, 2017, 7:39 am 

why are you doing just a quick trip? That's a lot of traveling for just something quick.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2017, 10:26 am 

I have to fly through US (cheaper flights) so may as well take advantage of the situation.

My main stops will be Guyana and most likely some Brasil (Argie/Bolivia for a chance to meet up with guy I know from years back). Plus, will be spending time in UK to see friends/family. Only looking at spending two months max so a few days is all I can seriously manage. Will have to stop in NY to get to Guyana so it planted the idea in my head for branching out a little and seeing more than just a city in the US.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on October 19th, 2017, 1:11 pm 

NY is a state. A big one in fact. Any particular city? The Adirondack mountains are spectacularly beautiful in the fall.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adirondack_Mountains

If you mean New York City, one goes to NYC to marvel at the works of man, not the works of nature! Just go downtown and look up at the incredible buildings and look around at the incredible mass of pulsating humanity.

In fact if you are in NYC I would like to specifically recommend that you go to Grand Central Station at evening rush hour. Humanity looks just like an ant colony, lines of commuters going every which way. The grand concourse there is the most magnificent public space in the country. Strongly recommended.
someguy1

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2017, 8:12 pm 

Will do. Thanks! :)
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Dave_C on October 19th, 2017, 8:57 pm 

Hey BJ. So you say you're interested in the Rockies or redwoods.... And you'll be in NY (city?) for 4 days... how many days are you looking to spend out west? And what do you prefer to see? Because the mountains are just as incredible as the desert area parks. Grand Canyon might be one of the very best.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... 3pRKldPmnA

Utah is fantastic too. Check out pictures of Zion national park and Bryce canyon, you could check out both in a day.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbm ... D2oaQMRx5E

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... ko9mbvVQRM

I lived in Denver, Colorado for 18 months which is a spectacular area. We hit Rocky Mountain national park quite a bit, and the whole area from Denver up to the park is beautiful with plenty to see. Check out the Coors beer factory if you enjoy beer.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... pt0Zbxyiz0

I also lived in California for 6 years. There, Yosemite national park and Sequoia national park are only about a 4 hour drive apart. And the mountain range between them is spectacular.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... 8460547523

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw ... Qhbb2FS7oo

Plus, you could base out of San Francisco. Personally, I'd do San Francisco over NY any day, but that's just me. I hate getting locked up in crowds of people, just don't see the appeal.
Dave_C

Postby BadgerJelly on October 19th, 2017, 11:37 pm 

Dave C -

Thanks!

I will be in NY city just for a day or two before flying to Guyana (which is one of two MAIN events for the trip).

I am a little more open about west coast (Just realized I made mistake in OP by saying west coast!! Oops!) I think San Francisco looks like the best idea. Maybe I could spend a day or two in another city on way back up from South America, but is so would Likely have a quick taste of Mexico or Central American country.

I have to admit the redwoods have always been one of those things I'd love to experience.

I really don't have a solid schedule yet. Looking to spend 2 months in total with 4-5 days in sundarbans, then stop off a couple of places in mainland Europe (likely Florence and Berlin), then back to UK for 2-3 weeks before heading off for Guyana via NY city.

If I am honest looking to have about one month for Europe PLUS and one month for Guyana stint (hopefully with some good time in Amazon again.) I expect to be in South America for a minimum of 2 weeks so I'll likely have around 3-5 days west coast before fleeting visit to Japan. I think my idea of the Rockies is more wishful thinking. If I went up there I'd want to do some more serious trekking rather than be limited to a brief visit.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby someguy1 on October 20th, 2017, 1:29 am 

The famous redwood country is a six or eight hour drive north of SF. You can see some redwood trees locally on highway 84 between highway 1 and highway 35 an hour south of SF.

If you're in SF proper, go to Fort Point underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. Also cross the bridge and drive up into the Marin headlands where you have several spectacular views overlooking the bridge.
someguy1

Postby BadgerJelly on October 20th, 2017, 1:43 am 

Okay, I'll look into bus schedules and see if I can do a mini tour for a couple of days and get to the two parks Dave suggested. Yosemite and Sequoia national parks should fill my time there easily enough.

As for SF, I'll have to look into what the city has to offer more.

I should cover the major three museums of the world. London, Berlin and New York :) Been to London museum a couple of times, but far from exhausted the experience yet! I believe both Berlin and New York are on equal par and FREE entry too like London's.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 20th, 2017, 10:07 am 

I could have spent weeks in the British Museum.

Just don't miss Carhenge, at Alliance, Nebraska. A haunting monument to the ancient fossil fuel culture, a dark time in human history sometimes called The Petro Bubble.

And Cawker City, Kansas is home to the world's largest ball of string. Your life was wasted, if you miss that!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on October 23rd, 2017, 12:21 am 

This is starting to look more difficult than I thought.

I don't drive so it looks real pain to travel between Yosemite and Sequoia.

Dave C -

You say you've been there many times so could you tell me what you think is my best option given time limit.

I am thinking either SF to Yosemite (staying there 1-2 nights), then Sequoia for a night and onto LA to fly out. OR other way around. As time is an issue (and I don't want to fork out loads of cash) would you recommend train over buses? From what I've looked at it say 6 hrs from either LA or SF to first stop. What route is easiet/fastest, and the most scenic?

For museums, galleries and stuff is SF better than LA? Is one city MUCH better than the other for these?

Thanks
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby zetreque on October 23rd, 2017, 1:36 am 

zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on October 23rd, 2017, 1:55 am 

On any trip the focus should be what you can't experience unless you are physically present. The things you can't see on National Geographic. Smells, tastes, ordinary people going about their lives, the "feel" of a place.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby zetreque on October 23rd, 2017, 1:59 am 

wolfhnd » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 pm wrote:On any trip the focus should be what you can't experience unless you are physically present. The things you can't see on National Geographic. Smells, tastes, ordinary people going about their lives, the "feel" of a place.

Don't forget sounds. You will get plenty of those if you live under the flight path. lol
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Postby wolfhnd on October 23rd, 2017, 2:38 am 

zetreque » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:59 am wrote:
wolfhnd » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:55 pm wrote:On any trip the focus should be what you can't experience unless you are physically present. The things you can't see on National Geographic. Smells, tastes, ordinary people going about their lives, the "feel" of a place.

Don't forget sounds. You will get plenty of those if you live under the flight path. lol

I was actually trying to think of a place where the sound of technology is absent. When I was a kid places like that existed but I haven't experienced them in 50 years.
wolfhnd
Resident Member

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby BadgerJelly on October 23rd, 2017, 4:35 am 

Wolf -

Guyana. Flights there are a bloody pain! I really would like to visit friend in Argentina, but the flight into Guyana from anywhere in South America are pretty pricey :(

Guess I cannot complain too much. At least I am blessed enough to be able to set aside time and money for such a trip. Maybe I'll be driven to go again the year after and focus on visiting friend.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on October 23rd, 2017, 10:12 am 

Just bumped into a guy from LA. He said "the US has gone too liberal."
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Postby Braininvat on October 23rd, 2017, 12:52 pm 

If that were true, Bernie Sanders would be POTUS. In fact, due to our upper legislative house alloting 2 seats for each state, regardless of the state's population, conservatives have a disproportionate influence on federal policy here. California has 35 million people and 2 Senate votes. South Dakota has 800,000 people and....2 Senate votes.

The guy from LA is hilarious! Especially under a Trump administration. If ever the term "sore winner" was apt....

And, back to topic, I think it's really hard to compare museums. All of our great cities have outstanding museums, depending on your particular focus as to which you might prefer. I don't think there's one that I could point to as somehow "the" museum that represents our cultural riches or what have you. MOMA in NYC is great. So is LACMA in LA. The Boston Museum of Science is terrific. Ditto the NY Museum of Natural History. Ditto the Guggenheim. Ditto the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry. And the Smithsonian, in DC. Et-freaking-cetera!
Braininvat
Resident Member

Postby BadgerJelly on November 6th, 2017, 5:28 am 

New York ... $40 for bed in hostel dorm? WTF? I thought the UK was expensive! haha! One night in NY it is.
BadgerJelly
Resident Member

Return to Lounge Area