The driver ahead of you slows down, speeds up, slows down...

A place to sit back, relax, get to know each other, and talk about whatever you want to discuss or share with the group.
Forum rules
Please be sure to check the Rules & Guidelines

Re: The driver ahead of you slows down, speeds up, slows dow

Postby JMP1958 on October 28th, 2017, 9:05 pm 

zetreque » October 28th, 2017, 5:04 pm wrote:
Serpent » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:58 pm wrote:
I just thought again of tailgaters. Another reason may be: they don't intend anything; they just instinctively close up gaps. Vehicles, like herd animals, feel more secure in close formation.

I think I mentioned that already. One of my coworkers does that and I cringe the entire time being a passenger.

Another huge problem is people love to drive in groups. I can't stand it. I will drive faster to get out of a group of cars or slower to get out of one too. You will notice that people very often drive in packs. Like if you set cruise control, pack after pack of cars will either pass you if you are going slow or you will pass them if you are going fast. I don't know what it is about people that like being in herds like that. There are long stretches of open road in between packs and that's where I try to stay.

People just like to drive fast until they come to an obstacle. They could care less about passing you, they just needed to catch up for some reason.

When driving at night along a highway that I don't have memorized, I actually prefer to have someone ahead of me. Far enough ahead that we've got a good safe distance between us, but not too far ahead. That way I get a little forewarning of the what the road is doing up ahead beyond my headlights. But no, I generally don't like driving in a pack. What I hate is when I'm driving on the freeway with plenty of "living room" between me and the car ahead, and someone just has to move into the gap between us, so I back off from them, and someone moves into that gap...
Last edited by JMP1958 on October 28th, 2017, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JMP1958
Forum Neophyte

Postby Serpent on October 28th, 2017, 9:55 pm 

zetreque » October 28th, 2017, 7:04 pm wrote:[ tailgaters. ]

I think I mentioned that already.

So you did. My eye must have skipped over it.

You will notice that people very often drive in packs.

What's really dangerous is big trucks in a pack. You can't see around them, back or front; can't see danger coming or maneuver. I don't want to be a slice of prosciutto in a truck sandwich!
Or, for that matter, the melted cheese on camper casserole or a cherry tomato in a motorcycle salad.

Is anyone else hungry?
Serpent
Resident Member

Postby jocular on October 29th, 2017, 5:15 am 

I have a friend who ,even when we are walking around a tourist trail will catch up with those in front even though there is no intention of quickly overtaking the little group.

She does the same when driving (no intention of overtaking but gets close to the car ahead)

On each occasion I have to tell her to slow down since she is not going to overtake and it must make them nervous seeing her right behind them:-)

It seems to be horses for courses as I am the complete opposite and create space for myself (and others ,of course) whenever possible.
jocular

Postby zetreque on October 29th, 2017, 11:51 am 

jocular » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:15 am wrote:I have a friend who ,even when we are walking around a tourist trail will catch up with those in front even though there is no intention of quickly overtaking the little group.

She does the same when driving (no intention of overtaking but gets close to the car ahead)

On each occasion I have to tell her to slow down since she is not going to overtake and it must make them nervous seeing her right behind them:-)

It seems to be horses for courses as I am the complete opposite and create space for myself (and others ,of course) whenever possible.

I have had the same experience hiking too.
zetreque
Forum Moderator

Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby JMP1958 on October 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm 

jocular » October 29th, 2017, 2:15 am wrote:I have a friend who ,even when we are walking around a tourist trail will catch up with those in front even though there is no intention of quickly overtaking the little group.

Years ago, while on family trips, I used to rouse everyone in the wee hours so that I could get on the road as soon as possible. Back then, if you were early enough, you could get a couple of hours of driving in as the only one on the road and I loved it.
JMP1958
Forum Neophyte

Previous

Return to Lounge Area